BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like RR stands for "Recall Record".

S is most likely "****".

Hope 1000 doesn't have anything to do with recalls :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looks like my 2015 just went up in value...again... :ROFLMAO:
Ugh - I strongly considered a red/white but looking back on it that thing is just fugly

Never buy first year, my bike was manufactured 8/20 and seems to have missed most of the issues (calipers are good so far) - best bike I've owned

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Ugh - I strongly considered a red/white but looking back on it that thing is just fugly

Never buy first year, my bike was manufactured 8/20 and seems to have missed most of the issues (calipers are good so far) - best bike I've owned
I hear a lot of "never buy first year", but I don't 100% buy into that. I bought the first year of the gen of RAV4 that I have, and it's been great. I bought the first year of the gen of 'RR that I have, and it's missed all of the issues some of the other have had with later years, and certainly missed all the issues with the first 2 years of the new gen. From my manufacturing experience, the supplier all make their best parts to pass the first article inspections, so that they could escape scrutiny later unless a problem developed. So, in many cases, if the design itself is sound (which the Hayes caliper obviously isn't), the most reliable units are the first, because EVERY part is inspected. It's more about the design itself than the year.

I thought the red/wht was...ok, but I specifically ordered the Motorrad colors (blu/wht/red), and love it, it's the best looking IMO.

·
Registered
379 Posts
BMW continuously updates (like all manufacturers) so skipping first year or two can save you some recalls. Generally that's been a safe bet, unless you absolutely have to have the latest and greatest

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
BMW continuously updates (like all manufacturers) so skipping first year or two can save you some recalls. Generally that's been a safe bet, unless you absolutely have to have the latest and greatest
The only problem I had, and was the first to post here about it, was the "powder in the dash" issue. Mine was a very early build 2015. In fact, I had to order it and wait because the lack of forged wheels at the beginning was hanging up the build. I don't remember having a single recall. Glad I got the 2015 instead of the 2017-on with the giant catboxes... None of the other guys I know with 2015's had any issues. It was a good gen from the start.

There was a major upgrade in many areas from the 2014, so, that gen was the one for me, and it's turned out great.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The 2015 bike wasn't "fundamentally" different from the 2010. It just got iterated on over time which is why the 2015s thru the 2018s were all great because they didn't reinvent the wheel. Could they have done a better job sure. At least they're going to fix it at cost to them.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The 2015 bike wasn't "fundamentally" different from the 2010. It just got iterated on over time which is why the 2015s thru the 2018s were all great because they didn't reinvent the wheel. Could they have done a better job sure. At least they're going to fix it at cost to them.
It wasn't as different as the 2019/2020, but it still had a completely new frame, a lot of engine parts were changed, the DDC was completely revamped, the bodywork was all completely different, it had a completely new exhaust, and it had a completely new dash and ECU if I remember. So, it was a lot more than just bold new graphics, I just think they did a better job of it then than they did this time. I don't really fault BMW for the Hayes issue, sounds like Hayes sold them a POS that somehow passed pre-production testing. The head issue can probably be traced back to a bad lot from the supplier, again, not a design fault on BMW's part, just a bad supplier. I DO think and hope heads in the supplier chain management roll for this though. This is unacceptable.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Covid screwed up alot of supply/manufacturing chains (unless this was all an in house issue), I've seen this outside BMW world too

Can't do asymmetric headlights. It was kind of cool for awhile but it's going to be looked back on as the Pontiac Aztek of the motorcycle world

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Ha! I actually thought the Aztek was kind of cool. Ugly, but cool. Covid has affected steel production which in turn has affected manufacturing of a lot of things.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dealers know nothing in general, customers often hear about this stuff before they do, then they punch it into their computer and "oh yeah, you're right"

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If this ever happens in the US you'll want to get them to get all the parts before you drop it off. It's engine out of the bike. A pretty serious piece of work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
BMW have released a recall for the cylinder head to be replaced. The titanium valve surface coating has been processed incorrectly which can cause premature wearing of the valve guides and lead to burning of oil. The solution is to replace the complete cylinder head. This affects bikes built before 18/5/2020. After 18/5/2020 bikes are not affected.

I know this affects units in AU. Not sure on the US or the rest of the world. If you do not receive a letter then don't worry. Otherwise get the dealer to run your vin and check.
Just contacted my dealer and they mentioned that this is just rumors and still not official. Is there a place where I can get official bmw motorrad quote on this?

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Oh its official. Its a recall listed in AIR. For the moment I know of some bikes in AU that are affected. Not sure elsewhere in the world.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Oh its official. Its a recall listed in AIR. For the moment I know of some bikes in AU that are affected. Not sure elsewhere in the world.
Any link we can get for the announcement? Can educate the dealer with that.

Does BMW spread the recalls gradually? Meaning, if my bike is supposed to be part of that list, will a search in the dealer software show the available/open recalls?

21 - 40 of 133 Posts