BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn’t find anything. Is everyone else with a full exhaust getting very loud back fire on deceleration? Specifically in Road mode? I get the normal pops in other modes. But Road is crazy! Shots fired!!

I kinda like it I tend to unnecessarily decel for no good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
BMW put static settings in the modes such as Rain Road Dynamic Race .. here is a chart that shows some basics of the respective settings with the level BMW chose.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMW put static settings in the modes such as Rain Road Dynamic Race .. here is a chart that shows some basics of the respective settings with the level BMW chose.

Thanks but I saw that when you posted it before. Which one is for the acoustic sounds on decel? There is definitely a difference between modes.

·
Vendor
2,632 Posts
The table is missing ENGINE > that is the selection in RACE PRO modes that has acoustic sound level/active. As you can see in Dynamic it is defined. I noticed that ROAD is not defined but RACE and Rain are.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The table is missing ENGINE > that is the selection in RACE PRO modes that has acoustic sound level/active. As you can see in Dynamic it is defined. I noticed that ROAD is not defined but RACE and Rain are.

Ok, so I guess the lack of acoustic level in Road is what makes the big back fire as opposed to the popping sound. But I also get it in Rain mode sometimes. Definitely not in Race or Dynamic.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That’s odd. I don’t get any pops in rain mode but get them in the other three. I mainly ride in race mode unless the back road I’m on suddenly turns into a dirt road for a mile then I throw it in rain mode

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Wow, I just realize that ABS Pro is turned off in race mode. Looks like I’ll be putting it back to dynamic. With the way the roads are out here, they are very bumpy even at 35 to 40° lean angles. We are filled with blind turns on our back roads so sometimes at lean an animal or car may be in the way causing you to slow down fairly quickly. I like race mode because since I do not have a flash I need all the torque I can get down low.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, I just realize that ABS Pro is turned off in race mode. Looks like I’ll be putting it back to dynamic. With the way the roads are out here, they are very bumpy even at 35 to 40° lean angles. We are filled with blind turns on our back roads so sometimes at lean an animal or car may be in the way causing you to slow down fairly quickly. I like race mode because since I do not have a flash I need all the torque I can get down low.
Try Road and roll off like crazy. It doesn’t pop, it bangs!

·
Registered
420 Posts

Floyd, thanks for posting this, but help me understand a few things here. Is there more explanation somewhere?

I'm doing a track day next week and am wanting to use Bluetooth to record the telemetry on my phone via the app. Unfortunately that means forgoing the RACE PRO mode definitions because they turn Bluetooth off.

RACE appears to turn off ABS/Pro and its stoppie control? I would rather have some stoppie control, which I inadvertently used at COTA the day you saw me. I missed my brake point in COTA's back straight one lap whereupon I braked really hard. The stoppie control kept the rear up about 6-12" for over 50 ft. I still ended up going a bit deep into 12, but it certainly was way better than the alternative. I leave some stoppie control in my RACE PRO settings and this doesn't appear to be possible in RACE, or do I misunderstand? Maybe I should do some practice/testing in an empty parking lot.

Alternatively, using DYNAMIC says that it reduces engine torque. What does this mean because I only notice the (big) reduction in RAIN mode? Is it just some difference in throttle response/sensitivity, or do modes less than RACE actually reduce the max engine power you can apply?

I've done more track days/coaching so my riding has improved, but I'm still in the upper intermediate category. I prefer to have some safety net via the electronics, BTW they didn't save me from my first crash a couple weeks ago at Willow Springs - a simple low-side where I went too hot into Turn 4, went a bit deep, and then pinched in my line too aggressively (too much lean - both tires went). DTC can't override the laws of physics, unfortunately.

At my level, is there anything of significance I might be missing in DYNAMIC or RACE vs. RACE PRO?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I notice that RACE mode has more exhaust backfire/burbling than DYNAMIC, so maybe there is something to the more torque claim in the chart. Does anyone have a more exhaustive and/or descriptive chart about the definition of the 2020/K67 modes as there is on previous gens here? Sport Mode vs Race Mode

·
Registered
420 Posts
My question is almost becoming irrelevant due to the annoying sequence of warnings I get and need to cancel for not having brake lights, rear turn signals and front turn signals connected after my track prep if I don't turn Racetrack Configuration on, but this disables the Bluetooth. WTF is BMW thinking here? It pisses me off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts