BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the German forum one member who took his bike for oil cooler replacement said he got notified y BMW about a fix needed on his brake calipers as there was risk of leaks of fluid.

Many others went to check and effectively they found wet calipers! At least 4 more found and posted pictures.

I went to check mine and unfortunately also have the problem. Much more on the left than on the right.
Me so naive smelled a bit of burnt oil and thought it was the recently replaced oil cooler, could not be so wrong!

Now thinking on posting this in social media like instagram and quote all bmw hashtags just to get attention from bmw.

For me this is dangerous. Apparently affects bike not moving much (you can imagine)! Never had such an issue with other bikes all brands and new as my RR with less than 1000 km!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,336 Posts
BMW know about the issue. They can replace the calipers. They leak in the crate. Check your front carbon wheel for brake fluid stains. Mine needs replacing. The calipers leak from the between the 2 halves or from the piston seals. Most do not need replacing. They bed in after some riding. The machining of the piston bore is slightly rough and needs bedding in. Never in my life have I heard of running in a caliper lol. But it seems to be correct. I have replaced quite a few until I started bedding them in. They are then ok. But check your front wheel for stains.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMW know about the issue. They can replace the calipers. They leak in the crate. Check your front carbon wheel for brake fluid stains. Mine needs replacing. The calipers leak from the between the 2 halves or from the piston seals. Most do not need replacing. They bed in after some riding. The machining of the piston bore is slightly rough and needs bedding in. Never in my life have I heard of running in a caliper lol. But it seems to be correct. I have replaced quite a few until I started bedding them in. They are then ok. But check your front wheel for stains.
I have never ever had to break in calipers. This is plain wrong. Have bought new bikes from Honda, Aprilia, Ducati and BMW.
Never ever had this problem at km 996!

So it is my fault for not running my bike? It don’t say on the manual.
It cannot be an excuse! Sorry I cannot take this statement my friend, nothing personal against you of course but if bmw gives me that speech.

Then it is not the brand for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,336 Posts
They have known about the issue for a while. There is a measure on it. I was also of the same view. But what they say is correct. If they dont bed in and stop leaking then they will be replaced and any damaged parts from brake fluid also replaced. If you do not agree then that is fine. Its understandable. For such a premium brand and premium price such issues should not occur. But it is often the way lately. The bike is very good despite its issues.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with you. It happens now that they chose this design and equipment and I chose to buy it.

Yes my rim has stains too. Informed dealer that he can already order a new wheel too.

This is only one out of 8 on this side. The right side is ok.

It is dripping fluid!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I checked mine and both of my calipers are leaking. There is break fluid everywhere, front rim is damaged. There is also some fluid on the front forks, both sides. Not sure what that is. Now we know why bmw went with hays, it was cheaper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine yesterday being taken away to the dealer. The right front caliper is leaking badly between the caliper halves. What's next on this bike?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Man now that it's been mentioned more and more people are noticing theirs are leaking. I actually did like the way the brakes felt but I have no issue switching over to Brembo if BMW gives us the option.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And that’s the problem! BMW knows about this yet don’t warn the owners!

Seems worst is that one has a slow respnonse at first braking as disc and pads might be damp! One would say « oh tires are cold” without knowing then once the fluid wipes or burns due to heat then the bike brakes better.

What a unnecessary situation!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jezus....Another reason why to never buy the first year new model. Something else to check at tech...
In this case it don’t matter. Other bikes like GS or RT with more mileage have got same issue.
It is more a problem of the caliper and it’s components. So today you don’t get it but tomorrow you could.

Dealer confirmed to me that the new redesigned piece comes in February. This is 13 months after the first cases were reported by the GS’s.
There were remedies but these didn’t worked, and apparently new replacements in some cases ended up in the same leakage.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Throwing my bike onto the trailer to drop to my dealer tomorrow for this. Annoying but not a huge deal as long as it's a timely rectification.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dealership (Madrid, Spain) said they do not know about any brake caliper related recall, and I heard the first case like 2 weeks ago in the US.
I can't help wondering if big bmw tries to deny the recall here and weasel their way out of fixing it under warranty.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts