BMW S1000RR Forum banner

K67 Handlebar risers by Gilles

16K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  Littlebitoquickness 
#1 ·
I'm ordering 3 sets of the new risers from Gilles Tooling. Should have them in a couple weeks. They raise the bars 20mm. Interested to see how it changes the feel.

See less See more
#8 ·
I've been using ABM Tour Multiclips on my 2017 RR for two years now. They're multi-axis adjustable up to 9 cm higher and ~8 cm wider. I have them set at max height. They put me high enough up that my endurance is limited only by my sciatica's pain in the butt (not a euphemism). My longest trip to date was two days from Asheville to the Ozarks, 5 days playing there pretty much non-stop, and two days back.

The ABM listing is at Clip-on set multiClip Tour

The instructions that came with mine are attached. Back then, the kit wasn't as complete as it looks now (see link above). Carl, a master mechanic as well as a BMW tech at Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg, VA, did the install. You can't see them, but there are wedges, included with the kit, that are mounted between the upper fairing and the frame where the mirrors attach; the wedges flex/lift the fairing up to provide some clearance. Despite this, Carl had use a smaller reservoir to get full clearance (also had to lengthen the brake line). The fairing is a Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windshield. The ZLA disguised thing is my EZPass.

JerryG

P.S. On my previous 2012 RR, I had a similar set of raised handlebars by Apex that adjusted up to 4". I strongly do NOT recommend them. The design is not nearly as good as the ABM design. Rather than multiple bolts pinching the whole bar like ABM does, the Apex bars had a load bearing shoulder pulled into a socket by a single bolt. I had to quit a track session when I noticed one of my bars was loose and found that the bar had sheared at the shoulder; the only thing holding that bar was it's single bolt (which, as I said, was loose when I noticed it; I still cringe when I visualize that bar falling out while I was on track). Also, Apex didn't have the wedge concept used by ABM; because of this, we had to put small spacers on the steering stops to prevent the bars from hitting things when turned fully.

P.P.S. Last pic is side-by-side with my new 2021 XR for comparison. The XR will supplant the RR for multi-day trips at this point; in fact, I'm beginning to think I should sell the RR.

P.P.P.S. Pardon the broken mirror; that story's in my WTB post at WTB: Perfect Condition Left Mirror that fits 2009 - 2019...

Attachments

#10 ·
I've been using ABM Tour Multiclips on my 2017 RR for two years now. They're multi-axis adjustable up to 9 cm higher and ~8 cm wider. I have them set at max height. They put me high enough up that my endurance is limited only by my sciatica's pain in the butt (not a euphemism). My longest trip to date was two days from Asheville to the Ozarks, 5 days playing there pretty much non-stop, and two days back.

The ABM listing is at Clip-on set multiClip Tour

The instructions that came with mine are attached. Back then, the kit wasn't as complete as it looks now (see link above). Carl, a master mechanic as well as a BMW tech at Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg, VA, did the install. You can't see them, but there are wedges, included with the kit, that are mounted between the upper fairing and the frame where the mirrors attach; the wedges flex/lift the fairing up to provide some clearance. Despite this, Carl had use a smaller reservoir to get full clearance (also had to lengthen the brake line). The fairing is a Zero Gravity Sport Touring Windshield. The ZLA disguised thing is my EZPass.

JerryG

P.S. On my previous 2012 RR, I had a similar set of raised handlebars by Apex that adjusted up to 4". I strongly do NOT recommend them. The design is not nearly as good as the ABM design. Rather than multiple bolts pinching the whole bar like ABM does, the Apex bars had a load bearing shoulder pulled into a socket by a single bolt. I had to quit a track session when I noticed one of my bars was loose and found that the bar had sheared at the shoulder; the only thing holding that bar was it's single bolt (which, as I said, was loose when I noticed it; I still cringe when I visualize that bar falling out while I was on track). Also, Apex didn't have the wedge concept used by ABM; because of this, we had to put small spacers on the steering stops to prevent the bars from hitting things when turned fully.

P.P.S. Last pic is side-by-side with my new 2021 XR for comparison. The XR will supplant the RR for multi-day trips at this point; in fact, I'm beginning to think I should sell the RR.

P.P.P.S. Pardon the broken mirror; that story's in my WTB post at WTB: Perfect Condition Left Mirror that fits 2009 - 2019...

View attachment 213818 View attachment 213819 View attachment 213820 View attachment 213821 View attachment 213822
Nice XR

#13 ·
I love the XR except it sucks that BMW makes you buy the low seat with the low suspension. I have a comfort seat in bound now. Unlike my RR, with the XR’s low suspension, I do have lean in a bit to avoid dragging the pegs (feelers removed after the first ride).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.