BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miss this track!

That drone footage though! Would be great to get a drone focused on riders part of track days. But most orgs ban them.
I don't see an issue with an autonomous drone on track. Battery won't be an issue since it's only 15-20min max sessions. Any other concerns?

https://youtu.be/As0oJW7tq3Q

·
Registered
421 Posts
FAA

The FAA would have the drone pilot "Drawn and Quartered" for flying over an active environment.

The FAA means well but there are drone pilots that threaten the safety of others.
Because of their carelessness Geo Fencing has been enforced.In other words if I'm within a 5 mile radius of a airport or a school,my drone will be prevented from powering up or flying.

Thanks Guys for screwing up a GOOD THING !!!

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
That's at my local track here in Nor. California. Those are very fast drones! Drones are normally not allowed but for a special closed course private event like this. This track (Thill) also holds a drone race I believe annually.

It's great track with 2 road tracks ~3 & 2 mile that can be connected for a 5 mile dream track. Along with Miller it's the longest track in the U.S. As you see in the Vid. it has "endless" run-off on all corners with nothing to run into other then weeds. It is also a very affordable track to rent. For all of these reasons a lot of testing is done there.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
The FAA would have the drone pilot "Drawn and Quartered" for flying over an active environment.

The FAA means well but there are drone pilots that threaten the safety of others.
Because of their carelessness Geo Fencing has been enforced.In other words if I'm within a 5 mile radius of a airport or a school,my drone will be prevented from powering up or flying.

Thanks Guys for screwing up a GOOD THING !!!
Wow, I'm not a drone guy, so I've never heard of "Geo Fencing". I hate to say this, but in today's world you can't be too safe when it comes to planes. Imagine a jet sucking up a drone into the engine and crashing on approach. I'm actually glad they can, and do, do that to prevent planes from being taken down by idiots or terrorists. Now, if only they could do something about the @$$holes on the ground blinding pilots with lasers.....

I've seen some pretty awesome footage from drones though. I think it'd be cool to have a drone pre-run a nice piece of twisty pavement for you, maybe 1/8 mile or more ahead to warn you about cops, road conditions, etc. :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Miss this track!

That drone footage though! Would be great to get a drone focused on riders part of track days. But most orgs ban them.
I don't see an issue with an autonomous drone on track. Battery won't be an issue since it's only 15-20min max sessions. Any other concerns?

I gotta say, that's pretty awesome footage, thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Miss this track!

Wait have you ridden the west track? I ask because that side was not built yet when you left PRK.

Also it is not the organization but the track facility are the ones that bans them.

·
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still visit the Bay area you know, few times a year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts