BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had some shudder in my front brakes after replacing the pads once. I took my pads out and they had glazed over from the OEM pad residue left on the rotor.
I used contact cleaner and green scotchbright pads to clean the rotors very thoroughly. I also used 1200 grit sandpaper to remove the residue from the pads unit they were no longer shiny and remounted them.
Then I bedded in the pads properly at the next track day by braking softly a few times and then hard but not coming to a complete stop.
Problem was gone.

Also, do you have your ABS cranked up too high?
Maybe a bad ABS pump/module?
I have tried to maintain a steady brake pressure when coming to a stop and it tends to stop at a particular spot on the rotor. I think this eliminates the possibility of it being the ABS module. My appointment at the dealer isn’t for a few weeks unfortunately.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have tried to maintain a steady brake pressure when coming to a stop and it tends to stop at a particular spot on the rotor. I think this eliminates the possibility of it being the ABS module. My appointment at the dealer isn’t for a few weeks unfortunately.
I would take the pads out and inspect them for glazing and do what I did with the scotchbrite pads on the rotors with the brake cleaner and try that.

Note that you will need an E-Torx Socket set to remove the pins from the calipers that hold the pads.

·
Registered
294 Posts
And that there are tiny spring clips on the back side of the pad retaining pins that will pop off and disappear!
Man good call. I forgot about those. I bought all that Home Depot had after launching mine somewhere into the black hole that is the dark corners of my garage lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Bike went to the dealer and they said they found a rotor (right I believe) out of spec. This is exactly what I figured it was. They said something about trying to replace a caliper as well (or maybe both) and the rotor. I’m just waiting for the parts to come in and see what is getting replaced.

At some point in the conversation, he mentioned that the replacement caliper(s) could be from a different manufacture. If this is the case, wouldn’t they have to replace both?

·
Administrator
6,990 Posts
It would make sense to replace both, but it depends what BMW approves. Did they promise you new pads with the new rotor? They should.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It would make sense to replace both, but it depends what BMW approves. Did they promise you new pads with the new rotor? They should.
I’m pretty sure they are since they are trying to using the caliper recall as the method to get it covered under warranty.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update: Bike is still in the shop. Per the service righter, they are replacing both calipers and right side rotor. Still waiting for parts to arrive. Should be back up in the next couple days.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
They tell you which calipers you're getting?
No, but it was around 2 weeks ago that BMW got the parts deal with a vender settled. At least that’s my understanding from the service rep. Are there multiple venders for updated calipers?

·
Registered
269 Posts
No, but it was around 2 weeks ago that BMW got the parts deal with a vender settled. At least that’s my understanding from the service rep. Are there multiple venders for updated calipers?
I guess it's good news if they reached a deal. It's about time. Now we just need to wait for the news to come out to see what calipers it will be. If your contact tells you, post up so we know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I guess it's good news if they reached a deal. It's about time. Now we just need to wait for the news to come out to see what calipers it will be. If your contact tells you, post up so we know.
Long story short, the parts never came in. I they said “BMW pulled the parts back”. Not sure what is going on but they said they have to talk to BMW to see what is going on and when they will get them.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts