BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything is factory and I get brake surge as I’m coming to a stop every time I use the front brake. I have inspected the brakes for any leaks and found no evidence of such. It’s done this since new. I have even done a few highway speed aggressive breaking maneuvers to scrub in the pads and rotors with no luck. Panic stops as well. It makes me pretty uneasy coming to a stop with the surge in getting so I’m scrubbing off most of the slowing down with the front brakes then the rear.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by brake surge? More or less braking force is applied?
Consistent brake pressure but the brakes are varying brake force. Causes me to move move on the bike(forward and backwards as the bike brakes harder and softer).

·
Vendor
3,476 Posts
Take it to the dealer and tell them to inspect for warped rotors. They have the tools to measure the rotors.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Consistent brake pressure but the brakes are varying brake force. Causes me to move move on the bike(forward and backwards as the bike brakes harder and softer).
I've found that every time I thought brakes were "warped" on a car or bike, they indicated true. What actually happened was a hard stop, followed by pressure by the pads to the disk (I.E. stopping at a light) melted brake pad material to the disks in those spots, thus creating high-friction spots that could cause the pulsing that wouldn't show up as a pulse back at the lever. Try using brake cleaner and scotchbrite on it, BUT, be very careful to have a LOT of outside air ventilation, AND wear heavy duty chemical gloves and eye protection, and spray the cleaner on the pad. If you get cleaner overspray on your paint (on wheels or fairing) it will most likely eat it (it did on my old wheels on my Gixxer), that stuff works great but is NASTY.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sounds to me like glazed pads or oil/ brake fluid has maybe contaminated them are there any discoluration marks on the discs?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds to me like glazed pads or oil/ brake fluid has maybe contaminated them are there any discoluration marks on the discs?
I have inspected the rotors for discoloration and found none. I also inspected around both calipers for any signs of oil and also found none but I haven’t taken them apart either. I need to locate a front stand and attempt the above post ^ and clean the rotor surface. I will also add that I can feel it in the lever.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I found on my Triumph 675 the problem was the brake rotor buttons that attach the rotor to the wheel hub were covered in brake dust. The brake dust prevented the buttons to float or rotate freely on the hub.
Using brake cleaner spray spray the buttons while rotating the buttons and this will flush the buttons clean.
Wear nitrile gloves and protect the wheels for safety.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I thought OP said this has happened since the bike was brand new.

If brakes were pulsing right off the showroom floor, could it be anything other than warped rotors?

Or maybe I'm reading OP too literally.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have inspected the rotors for discoloration and found none. I also inspected around both calipers for any signs of oil and also found none but I haven’t taken them apart either. I need to locate a front stand and attempt the above post ^ and clean the rotor surface. I will also add that I can feel it in the lever.
If the lever is pulsing you should take back to the dealer, it could be an ABS fault, either way dont mess around with brakes not worth risking it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought OP said this has happened since the bike was brand new.

If brakes were pulsing right off the showroom floor, could it be anything other than warped rotors?

Or maybe I'm reading OP too literally.
I have never really used the front brakes all that much. I scrub off most of my speed via downshifting then stop with rear brake. But yes, it’s done it since new or I can’t remember it not doing it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
When I've had that problem it's been uneven deposits of pad material on the rotors (like ZZZ), but if you're easy on the brakes that seems less likely. Unless getting to the dealer is a pain and you're comfortable working on the braking system, I vote with BMW 338 and Bruce Wayne - I'd take it to the dealer to fool with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also - did you post elsewhere that you crashed? Any chance it's crash damage?
Nope, I haven’t posted anything about a crash. I bought it new and it has 3,1xx miles now. I live on an island so there’s not a lot of places to even get the brakes hot here. I’m going to just take it to the dealer as soon as I figure out how to flash the factory tune back on it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have never really used the front brakes all that much. I scrub off most of my speed via downshifting then stop with rear brake. But yes, it’s done it since new or I can’t remember it not doing it.
If that’s the way you use your brakes you really need to take a Riding Course or read up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If that’s the way you use your brakes you really need to take a Riding Course or read up.
I appreciate you “pro rider input” but I’ve taken 3 courses including advanced over at least 50k miles on 2 wheels. Given the issue described above, I feel most riders would do the same. Decelerating via downshifting is not unsafe by any means in optimal conditions.

Keep you remarks on the collective task in the 1st post and refrain from clogging threads (this thread or more) with your off topic/not helpful remarks.

This is not meant to be personal but needs to be said in order to stay on topic.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I’m just curious. What did they teach you in your advanced rider courses about using the front brake? As others have said, why would you mess with this issue and not go to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
theres another possibility...check the wheel bearings. If they are stuffed it can mean the wheel moves sideways a bit under braking, making it feel like a brake "surge"

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had some shudder in my front brakes after replacing the pads once. I took my pads out and they had glazed over from the OEM pad residue left on the rotor.
I used contact cleaner and green scotchbright pads to clean the rotors very thoroughly. I also used 1200 grit sandpaper to remove the residue from the pads unit they were no longer shiny and remounted them.
Then I bedded in the pads properly at the next track day by braking softly a few times and then hard but not coming to a complete stop.
Problem was gone.

Also, do you have your ABS cranked up too high?
Maybe a bad ABS pump/module?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts