BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to make a DIY for everyone who is considering doing this, as I had a lot of questions myself, before I started this. Let me start off by saying this is quite a bit simpler then I had expected, with the exception of the steering stops giving me a tough time.
Let’s get started.

I used the alpha mounting kit that installs over the front wheel speed sensor and a hollow bolt for the lower part of the triple tree.
I also used the alpha racing steering stops, which restrict the steering angle by a bit more then I would like, but they’re very nice and look oem, as most alpha parts.

1. Remove both side panels to gain easier access to the frame near the forks.
2. Remove one of the two radiator mounts entirely and loosen the other.
3. Install steering stop on one side with new supplied bolt, do not fully tighten, yet.

4. Install other side and tighten to spec
-The result should look something like this

It's fairly easy to figure out which side goes where but the passenger side has a slot for the clutch cable, easiest way to tell.

5. Remove the upper bolt of the lower triple tree and swap it with the supplied hollow bolt, tighten to spec.
6. Remove the bolt for the front wheel speed sensor, place the bracket over the sensor and use new bolt to reinstall it

7. Install the mounting balls into the hollow bolt and the upper bolt of the lower bracket, using a 5mm open wrench and be careful not to over tighten them. I decided on this purely because I saw it done this way on Alpha's website.
8. Instal the 2D sensor
9. This may be optional, however I was uncomfortable with how close the sensor got to the inner plastic and trimmed. It appeared as it may clear without doing so but just a little bit of trimming really gave the sensor some breathing room. I used a dremel to not take off more the needed. Also, the pice in question does not have to be fully removed, I was able to remove the 2 left bolts under the nose and simply hold the plastic back and remove a bit of material.

10. Route the wire in a way that it does not bind or get pinched and then connect it to the unused plug by the EVAP/charcoal canister.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Nice job. Does the ignition still lock the handle bars to the left?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice job. Does the ignition still lock the handle bars to the left?
That would be a hard no, there is some downsides to this because the stops are fairly big. Personally, I never use the lock because I’ve seen what thieves can do to get around that and it’s far more damaging to the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I wanted to make a DIY for everyone who is considering doing this, as I had a lot of questions myself, before I started this. Let me start off by saying this is quite a bit simpler then I had expected, with the exception of the steering stops giving me a tough time.
This is excellent. Thank you.

Think you could get away with cutting down the stops to have a little more steering range?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is excellent. Thank you.

Think you could get away with cutting down the stops to have a little more steering range?
Yes, that’s definitely a possibility. I may even consider that, if it bothers me to much. Right now I haven’t even ridden it much and I’m still waiting to see how much room the thumb brake will need

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Yes, that’s definitely a possibility. I may even consider that, if it bothers me to much. Right now I haven’t even ridden it much and I’m still waiting to see how much room the thumb brake will need

Thank you. I'm interested to hear what you think after you ride it more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which sensors are you using? When I look at the alpha racing website, I noticed two options. One is the 175 mm sensor. The other is the 150 mm sensor.

Thanks.

·
Vendor
3,020 Posts
The 150 is for the short mounting the front. The 175 for the more standard mounting the front.

Rears are even shorter at 50 and 75mm

corrected for better information being provided. I use the 175mm only. I mounted my K67 where I have 100% steering angles left and right.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The website says 175mm front and 150 mm front. The rear sensors are the 100 mm rear and the 75 mm rear.
You’re correct. The bracket that slips over the wheel speed sensor, requires the 175mm sensor. It’s a better way to mount, in my opinion, then the 150mm bracket.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The website says 175mm front and 150 mm front. The rear sensors are the 100 mm rear and the 75 mm rear.
All depends how you fit it mate. Some drill a hole in the leg and use shorter version, however if you use Alpha bracket you would need 175mm version.

·
Vendor
3,020 Posts
I fixed my post. That is more correct that the 150 and 175 are front options. I use the 175 as I noted in my corrected post.

And I have my sensor mounted where I have 100% steering left and right... 8000 miles and zero failure.

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
You’re correct. The bracket that slips over the wheel speed sensor, requires the 175mm sensor. It’s a better way to mount, in my opinion, then the 150mm bracket.

I noticed you are selling the Alpha racing steering stops. I thought these were necessary to protect the 2d sensor. Did you decide to remove or remount the sensor in a different manner?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts