BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several posted they wish for dyno test on same bike, same day, same headers, different muffler... as in Akrapovic Long Can muffler comes with part number set

S-B10E9-APLT

Then the
Optional Header (SS)
E-B10R7

Then the Stock OEM Muffler

So the point is that the stock muffler on a Akrapovic header. How does it perform. Actually very good. Small lost of torque in a very narrow area of the curve. Dyno sheet posted.

Test on 2020 BMW S1000RR K67 1400 miles ( code name Mule 2 )
ECU XWORKS V1
Optional Akrapovic Headers brand new 500 miles
Long Can Muffler from my primary K67 with over 10500 miles
Stock Muffler from Mule 2 1400 miles
Stock IAT sensor location
Stock 14,600 RPM limiter
525 DID VMX O-Ring chain
17/45 sprockets

I test rode about 100 miles with the Stock Muffler. I actually like it after I have put up with that MotoGP muffler on my primary bike now for 2000 miles. I just want a nice short clean right side on the bike. Make good HP and torque. This OEM muffler is working for me on this.

Coming soon thread on IAT relocation vs Stock location on temperature vs HP/Torque lost or gains. Data acquisition equipment with K probes just came in today.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good to know. Looks like it lost the most on the bottom end. This is my plan, Akra header with stock muffler. I know the stock muffler weighs much more then the short cans but I dont want all the noise.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I love the way the GP can sounds under load but at idle the ticking noise is not pleasant. I have a feeling it is amplifying the ticking noise from the engine but I also want to cut out the mesh screen to see if that helps as well. I feel the mesh screen is messing with the acoustics.

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I am getting tooooo old. I was pleased to get a ride in with the OEM muffler on there. This is a great solution to plug and ride/race at tracks with a DB level to contend with.

Optional header MotoGP noise maker, remove and put on the Stock OEM muffler. Monday i will dyno the MotoGP muffler on this Mule 2. The MotoGP akra is on my primary bike and the way I put it on the EVO headers was the adapter union I made to be able to do that without switching headers to optional header.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I love the way the GP can sounds under load but at idle the ticking noise is not pleasant. I have a feeling it is amplifying the ticking noise from the engine but I also want to cut out the mesh screen to see if that helps as well. I feel the mesh screen is messing with the acoustics.
This can you can remove the mesh screen and comes with a DB killer

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
This can you can remove the mesh screen and comes with a DB killer
I saw that. Same thing with the arrow exhaust. Honestly I should have gone with arrow but at this point I am not going to take a loss selling my exhaust only to purchase the one I feel I should have purchased in the first place. Since I now own it I will cut the mesh screen out when I have time over the winter. I’ve been meaning to contact the company to see if they sell an end cap this without the mesh screen. If not I will more than likely drill out the rivets take the endcap off and figure out a way to either remove or cut out the mesh screen then reinstall it with the new OEM rivets. Revzilla has the oem rivets.
This is one of the reasons why I like to purchase what I know I want even if it cost more. Time and time again I’ve proven that to myself. Sometimes I make an impulse buy saving five bucks one day only to spend $10 more another day.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I saw that. Same thing with the arrow exhaust. Honestly I should have gone with arrow but at this point I am not going to take a loss selling my exhaust only to purchase the one I feel I should have purchased in the first place. Since I now own it I will cut the mesh screen out when I have time over the winter. I’ve been meaning to contact the company to see if they sell an end cap this without the mesh screen. If not I will more than likely drill out the rivets take the endcap off and figure out a way to either remove or cut out the mesh screen then reinstall it with the new OEM rivets. Revzilla has the oem rivets.
This is one of the reasons why I like to purchase what I know I want even if it cost more. Time and time again I’ve proven that to myself. Sometimes I make an impulse buy saving five bucks one day only to spend $10 more another day.
Well, you can buy just this can to fit the Akra headers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
While running on dyno could you get a decibel reading? The factory muffler looks like a huge straight perforated baffle. I am guessing most of the noise is canceled by the cats.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess I am getting tooooo old. I was pleased to get a ride in with the OEM muffler on there. This is a great solution to plug and ride/race at tracks with a DB level to contend with.

Optional header MotoGP noise maker, remove and put on the Stock OEM muffler. Monday i will dyno the MotoGP muffler on this Mule 2. The MotoGP akra is on my primary bike and the way I put it on the EVO headers was the adapter union I made to be able to do that without switching headers to optional header.
I'm curious about the MotoGp muffler dyno results vs long cans.

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm curious about the MotoGp muffler dyno results vs long cans.

I have a customer in house tune working yesterday and today. So I will try to put the MotoGP can on Mule 2 also by Saturday.

Reactions: Fatal

·
Vendor
1,149 Posts
Been running with the Akra header and stock muffler for a while now on a few bikes. At Shift-S3ctor this past weekend we got 191mph in the standing half mile with our tuning, akra headers and stock muffler, MR12 and a sprint air filter. A H2R (not H2) with tuning and exhaust did 186mph at this same event.

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reactions: Ravenbravo

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While running on dyno could you get a decibel reading? The factory muffler looks like a huge straight perforated baffle. I am guessing most of the noise is canceled by the cats.

I dont trust the DB level my iPhone app is coming up with. It seems it cannot get above 100DB at WOT inside my shop on the dyno. At idle it is showing 82DB on the stock muffler, and on the Akra motoGP muffler it is 88db... so not sure I really believe it. I might try another app on the next dyno session on Mule 2. Mule 1 is on the dyno with lots of temp K probes hanging off it for the IAT temp research.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would love to get the akra full heaer + gp exhaust. However, I've spoken to the service department at my local BMW today and the guy told me that it is highly likely the full system will void the warranty and advised against it. He said to just get the gp slip on exhaust and forget about the headers. Can someone confirm that getting the full akrapovic exhaust setup won't mess up my warranty on the 2021 s1000rr?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I would love to get the akra full heaer + gp exhaust. However, I've spoken to the service department at my local BMW today and the guy told me that it is highly likely the full system will void the warranty and advised against it. He said to just get the gp slip on exhaust and forget about the headers. Can someone confirm that getting the full akrapovic exhaust setup won't mess up my warranty on the 2021 s1000rr?
I think it all depends on the dealer. Some say yes, some say no.

·
Vendor
3,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dealer does not have the final say in warranty voided or accepted in a claim. BMWAG does. The dealer submits the claim on said part and BMWAG will ask for more details or not. Typically in a blown engine case, I have already heard of BMWAG requesting pictures of all 4 sides of the bike from the dealer. There looking for modifications of course. If you roll into the dealer with a full exhaust it does not matter if it is a dead coil issue, BMWAG can deny the claim.

The governmental regulations are starting to really get bad in the performance category.

The North American EPA filed papers with government regulators to stop the sale of non emission compliant software and hardware by the OEM makers Harley Davidson and BMW especially. BMW bow'ed down immediately and discontinued RCK anything as in 1 2 3 offered by the dealer network, discontinued the HP product line which included performance exhaust, discontinued HP support from Motorrad to North America. Harley Davidson however fought back with a lawsuit. They lost. The Harley dealer I visited indicated they cannot tune nor add any aftermarket hardware on any 2017 or newer bike. The dyno days are coming to an end for Harley Davidson.

Here are some of the webpages linked to these stories. It all started in 2017.

www.epa.gov

Harley-Davidson Clean Air Act Settlement | US EPA
Harley-Davidson, Inc., founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1903, is the largest American manufacturer of motorcycles. It is the world's fifth largest motorcycle manufacturer.
www.epa.gov
www.epa.gov

biztimes.com

Judge finally OKs Harley-Davidson settlement with EPA from 2017
A federal judge has signed off on Milwaukee-based Harley-Davidson’s settlement with the EPA over the sale of engine tuners that could allow motorcycles to emit higher levels of air pollutants.
biztimes.com
biztimes.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer does not have the final say in warranty voided or accepted in a claim. BMWAG does. The dealer submits the claim on said part and BMWAG will ask for more details or not. Typically in a blown engine case, I have already heard of BMWAG requesting pictures of all 4 sides of the bike from the dealer. There looking for modifications of course. If you roll into the dealer with a full exhaust it does not matter if it is a dead coil issue, BMWAG can deny the claim.

The governmental regulations are starting to really get bad in the performance category.

The North American EPA filed papers with government regulators to stop the sale of non emission compliant software and hardware by the OEM makers Harley Davidson and BMW especially. BMW bow'ed down immediately and discontinued RCK anything as in 1 2 3 offered by the dealer network, discontinued the HP product line which included performance exhaust, discontinued HP support from Motorrad to North America. Harley Davidson however fought back with a lawsuit. They lost. The Harley dealer I visited indicated they cannot tune nor add any aftermarket hardware on any 2017 or newer bike. The dyno days are coming to an end for Harley Davidson.

Here are some of the webpages linked to these stories. It all started in 2017.

www.epa.gov

Harley-Davidson Clean Air Act Settlement | US EPA
Harley-Davidson, Inc., founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1903, is the largest American manufacturer of motorcycles. It is the world's fifth largest motorcycle manufacturer.
www.epa.gov
www.epa.gov

biztimes.com

Judge finally OKs Harley-Davidson settlement with EPA from 2017
A federal judge has signed off on Milwaukee-based Harley-Davidson’s settlement with the EPA over the sale of engine tuners that could allow motorcycles to emit higher levels of air pollutants.
biztimes.com
biztimes.com
can I keep the original headers, and swap them back when I’m trying to make a claim then lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts