BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am not 100% sure on the K67 I'm sure others can comment. But the plug has a wire linked to the tft dash for this purpose. The receiver was for the older model.
interesting... at my local track day, I’ve heard of someone setting up a laptimer beacon at start/finish and bikes with corresponding device (perhaps an infrared receiver like this) can make use of. I never looked into it because I have been using a gps based laptimer / data recorder when I track (CBR600RR).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought that connector mentioned in the OP and made a BMW-to-SAE cable to go to the usb adapter that runs to the Quadlock phone wireless charging head.
Works great - when the wireless charger gets power it remembers if it was on or off last time so I can just leave it on all the time now and let it be switched by the iginition - and I don't have to worry about the usb adapter being energized 24/7 and running down my battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The diagram in the OP is kinda misleading tho. The red circled connector looks like a big fat one but it's actually just a little two wire guy as you can see in the ebay listing.
Here's the picture from the OEM:

You can actually buy the part direct from mouser.com but I don't begrudge sending a few bucks to this ebay guy either - I wouldn't have known the OEM number if I didn't have the one I bought from him to look at.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes. This is because the BMW wiring diagrams don't always picture the correct connectors as they actually look on the bike. I actually looked into getting the connector through BMW and it was not possible. Even from the car side. The G310 uses the connector also. You can always source them from automotive electrical places. But in some countries it is hard to source. It has part numbers on it and I checked with every department and it seemed you could not get it. But I know it is sourced with pins etc like we see on eBay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
WHELP something went crazy with the bike when I installed that cellphone charger. It decided it didn't want to start intermittently and I even had a "ABS Pro Failure" at one point. I was going in yesterday for the "torque optimization" anyway so they looked into it. They found a bunch of faults in the ECU and cleared them and they unplugged the charger. They are asking me to ride a for a couple weeks with it unplugged then plug it back in to make certain that's what's causing the problem. If so we'll have to find another circuit to run off of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please let us know what happens when you have an update. I’m interested in connecting to that switched power in the rear, and now I’m worried it may have been designed to communicate with the ECU instead of just providing power.

WHELP something went crazy with the bike when I installed that cellphone charger. It decided it didn't want to start intermittently and I even had a "ABS Pro Failure" at one point. I was going in yesterday for the "torque optimization" anyway so they looked into it. They found a bunch of faults in the ECU and cleared them and they unplugged the charger. They are asking me to ride a for a couple weeks with it unplugged then plug it back in to make certain that's what's causing the problem. If so we'll have to find another circuit to run off of.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I've updated the original post. My GPS was playing up so I thought there was an issue with the front connector. There is not. It's the same as the older models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've updated the original post. My GPS was playing up so I thought there was an issue with the front connector. There is not. It's the same as the older models.
But is there any risk in connecting to the rear switched power plug? I’m wondering if the issue agraham had earlier was just coincidence?

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
But is there any risk in connecting to the rear switched power plug? I’m wondering if the issue agraham had earlier was just coincidence?
Yeah I'm not sure about his issue. It's just 12v and ground. I'm using the front connector which is 12v and ground and it goes to my GPS power cradle which is run off 12v anyway normally. My 21 has a factory USB in the back on that connector. The rear is 12v so what ever you plug in needs to be able to accept 12v or you will need a converter to put it into 5v USB.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure about his issue. It's just 12v and ground. I'm using the front connector which is 12v and ground and it goes to my GPS power cradle which is run off 12v anyway normally. My 21 has a factory USB in the back on that connector. The rear is 12v so what ever you plug in needs to be able to accept 12v or you will need a converter to put it into 5v USB.
Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. The charger I want to connect has a 5V 2A converter on it, so I should be good.

cheers for the update

·
Registered
48 Posts
For the factory USB socket in the rear..what's the actual use of this? I can't imagine anything being able to fit under the rear seat to be able to charge. I'm thinking of running a cable but would love to hear what people are doing with theirs. I know you have the factory USB @bennymx

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the factory USB socket in the rear..what's the actual use of this? I can't imagine anything being able to fit under the rear seat to be able to charge. I'm thinking of running a cable but would love to hear what people are doing with theirs. I know you have the factory USB @bennymx
It’s easier to wire an adapter or cable for accessories. If you use the front, you have to modify the OEM wiring harness. Sure, it’s easy, just power and ground. But I prefer keeping the main harness as intact as possible. The back actually gives you a plug that you can attach to. So you can make your own wiring and customize whatever electric setup you want and then just plug in in. Something goes wrong, just unplug the connector and take it to dealership. They won’t be able to see that you’ve modified anything and decline warranty.

Also if you didn’t get a chance to read the other posts following up to this, the connection is switched through ignition power. So if you leave an accessory plugged in, the connection will shut off when the key is removed so it won’t drain your battery. Otherwise you’d have to use a relay or tap into a switched line.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The new K67 has 2 connectors for switched power. 1 at the front and 1 at the rear (2021 model has the USB socket fitted to the rear power connector. 2020 will have just the connector).

The front connector is a 3 pin. Pin 1 is ground and Pin 3 is 12v from the GM. Pin 2 is LIN to the KOMBI. You can use a genuine BMW repair plug on this connector.
View attachment 215069
View attachment 215070

The rear connector is a 2 pin. Pin 1 is ground and Pin 2 is 12v from the GM.

You can buy this already done off eBay. It fits the RR. Same connector as 310.

If you would like to wire in a GPS power cradle harness then you can get the connector housings and pins here:

Rear connector

Hi! On my 2020 S1000RR on the front connector (is a 3 pin. ) but Pin 1 is ground and Pin 2 is 5v! I was convinced it is a non working 12v but I measured a stable 5.12V In fact I did connected a simple wire with a usb end plug and use it to charge my iPhone 12 pro. Works perfect. The plug on the back under passenger seat it is 12V.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I regret ordering my 2021 with the USB plug in the trunk. There is no room anymore and my iPhone 12 Pro Max has no chance of fitting in there with a cable at all. It’s mounted with a metal bracket in there blocking the main opening. My pack of smokes fits and my insurance papers lol

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I regret ordering my 2021 with the USB plug in the trunk. There is no room anymore and my iPhone 12 Pro Max has no chance of fitting in there with a cable at all. It’s mounted with a metal bracket in there blocking the main opening. My pack of smokes fits and my insurance papers lol
You can run one off the front connector if you need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So the front plug mentioned on the first post is 12v and not 5v? Or did you use a different plug at the front?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts