BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am very glad I added a TFT screen protector.

I just noticed after cleaning my bike that I must have had a rock hit my face shield and bounce directly into the TFT screen causing it to crack.

I’m sure that the screen is pretty touch but I’m convinced that this $50 screen protector just saved me some serious heartache and I’ve ordered another ASAP!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well I am very glad I added a TFT screen protector.

I just noticed after cleaning my bike that I must have had a rock hit my face shield and bounce directly into the TFT screen causing it to crack.

I’m sure that the screen is pretty touch but I’m convinced that this $50 screen protector just saved me some serious heartache and I’ve ordered another ASAP! View attachment 210317
Glad you had a protector that could of sucked! Which one did you use? I have XPEL on my screen. It’s self healing supposedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I could be wrong, but I assume that the display is protected by plastic and not glass. I worked at Harman and Visteon which are OEM for many car manufacturers (including BMW in Harman's case) and the screens were always plastic, I actually never asked why, but I assume because of safeness.Of course I don't have an MY20 S1000RR (yet). I am curious if the screen protector is necessary at all. I would like to have one installed to protect from scratches (plastic is not very scratch resistant) but since is not a touch screen, I wouldn't be touching it too much.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you had a protector that could of sucked! Which one did you use? I have XPEL on my screen. It’s self healing supposedly
I used this one:

Supposed to be tempered glass

Wow! Is you screen protector glass?
Supposed to be!

I could be wrong, but I assume that the display is protected by plastic and not glass. I worked at Harman and Visteon which are OEM for many car manufacturers (including BMW in Harman's case) and the screens were always plastic, I actually never asked why, but I assume because of safeness.Of course I don't have an MY20 S1000RR (yet). I am curious if the screen protector is necessary at all. I would like to have one installed to protect from scratches (plastic is not very scratch resistant) but since is not a touch screen, I wouldn't be touching it too much.
Yeah I got mine since some of my aftermarket cables have a tendency to brush past the screen so I thought it would be a good idea. Also, It is really easy to clean

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing. Having seen this, I am reconsidering and will probably add a screen protector to my pre-delivery parts / accessories shopping list.

What are others’ experience and opinions between protecting film VS protecting shield / cage?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing. Having seen this, I am reconsidering and will probably add a screen protector to my pre-delivery parts / accessories shopping list.

What are others’ experience and opinions between protecting film VS protecting shield / cage?
I have film on mine. I can’t give any feedback on what’s better. Supposedly mine is self healing so any scratches it fixes itself. How much of a impact it will absorb I’m not sure. I do know on my iPhone XS Max
when I had this hard plastic case on the phone over time when I dropped my phone it did crack the back of the iPhone. I have this other protector on it now for awhile. It’s a silicone case which I believe will absorb more impact. I know our tft display isn’t glass but just throwing it out there. Either way definitely get a screen protector of some kind and keep it perfect from the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the surface of the screen is the same as the one on the GSAs then they are scratch resistant. The only reason to have a protector is maybe to avoid potential impact rather than scratches from cleaning.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A carom of a large rock off the faceshield into the TFT seems like such a freak occurrence. I'm not inclined to protect myself against something that rare. While the glass cover is pretty, it also appears to have some glare that the native plastic doesn't.

BTW, the native TFT surface cleans up really well to new form. I wash the bike every week or two and use a soapy sponge on the TFT and a lint-free drying cloth. I then use Plexus to super smooth/shine it up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts