BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 S1000RR. How do I determine what the "K" number is, and what does the K number denote?

Craig

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Just curious, but when/why did all this "K" stuff start? Why can't it be as simple as..."it's a '15 RR..." or a "2020 RR". I see "K-this" and "K-that" and I can't tell if we're talking BMW motorcycles or Kawasaki.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
The K designation is BMW's internal product code. The K46 was first introduced in 2009 for WSBK competition.

As other examples, the current 3-series car is the G20; the previous generation, F30.

GM's Camaro and Firebird are F-body.

·
Super Moderator
6,262 Posts
Some more history on the "E-Series" Which is also generation.

Historically, each BMW car has carried an E project number – standing for Entwicklung, or development. The numbers have then risen progressively up to triple digits, at which point for the cars F numbers took over - and now BMW is using G monikers for its future car products.

BMW Motorrad also calls it generation or E-Series. The K is not to be confused with K meaning water-cooled, inline 3-, 4- or 6-cylinder like a K1600 or K1300. In the early days construction codes were R. The models were also R. Then the models went to K100 and K75. It seems they then went with K for construction codes also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 8 of 8 Posts