BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really tempted by the XR a couple years ago, but after a long demo ride felt there were a couple of areas about the bike that I would potentially find myself somewhat at odds with, so I chose a GS instead.

I was all set to buy a new 1250GS this month,but due to a slight interruption in my dealers operation, that got pushed back a couple weeks. In the meantime, they received a new ice gray XR, which was there when I went to pick up the 1250GS to finish putting the demo miles on it. The entire time I was at the dealer, that XR kept talking dirty to me.

I spent the day on the GS, and racked up a couple hundred miles. The 1250 was really nice, but honestly it was not that much better than my 1200. I did like the TFT, and the engine was very marginally more refined, and some additional acceleration was noticeable, but not on the level of a Multistrada, or KTM 1290. Yet, I concluded the 1250 was the "safe" buy, since it was a known commodity.

At the dealer yesterday to sign the papers for the GS, I was getting the dirty talk from the XR again. My dealer knows me really well, and told me to go ride the XR for an hour or so before I take another GS home.

Within 10 minutes or so, I fell in love with the XR. I immediately noticed the refinements that have been made to the XR, and they were exactly the changes I needed. The improvements in suspension are really noticeable to me. In road mode it does a terrific job of soaking up bad pavement. It's also smooth as butter on the highway. I was never really at odds with the engine vibration in the previous gen, but the new one is smoother and the reduced RPM is nice on the highway.

This will be my day bike to go alongside my K16GT that I use for two up and long rides. Since I never do any off road, the XR is a better fit for me in most areas, and may give me the inclination to do a track day now and then. After a string of boxer powered bikes, the XR is a nice change of pace.

·
Vendor
2,470 Posts
Welcome.. Showing some passion and love there. Enjoy the new XR engine. I hope it is as good feeling as the S1000RR K67. The XR is minus shift cam, but really, the RR is undetectable for the most part. You get the low end go all the time up to the red area. Now you got the new TFT also, so you are enjoying that too. Throw some pics of that XR on here. Most have not see it yet.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the notes, I'm stuck between the XR and the new KTM 1290 myself. Wifey wants to start going places again, so the next sportbike just went bye bye.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife is insisting on me buying luggage for the XR. I see no reason for it a K16GT in the garage, which is a far better long distance and two up bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you guys going to use the XR around town for two up? Then the luggage comes in handy. Huge difference in weight that might make the XR better for around town or shorter rides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the conversation. I too have a 14 K16GT sport that my wife loves for two up. Had a 11 r12GS before that and wife was meh. Been thinking about a 1250GS and trading the GT. But what they are offering, I'm keeping it. Can't wait to ride an XR when this Covid crap relaxes. I'm thinking that the XR is gonna find a way home with me.
Guilt is making me think of looking for a used previous gen, but I don't like buying used especially knowing the improvements.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would love the 2020 XR. I have the 2016 XR. It's very agile for what it is and super faster which people don't expect. Most of my rides are quiet spirited but there are totally times where I want to push the suspension button and have the road disappear the 2016 doesn't quite do this. I hope they managed it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sweet bike! I just picked up the new 2020 model as well and I couldn't be more happy with it!

I'm coming from a similar situation as the OP, as my prior bike was a 2018 R1200 GSA. I've always been a sport bike guy and rode a 2015 S1000 RR prior to the GSA but I also love riding dirt bikes. I had this crazy idea that I would sell the RR and buy the GSA and do a bunch of off-road touring with my brother. Unfortunately, that never panned out and I spend most of the time riding the GSA on the street and wishing I had the power of a sport bike. Don't get me wrong, the GSA is a great machine and I was surprised by how well it handled in the corners but it just doesn't have the punch I crave.

The new XR fits the bill for everything I'm looking for in a bike now. It is quick, handles exceptionally well and is comfortable to do some long distance touring rides. I'm fortunate to work for BMW and have ridden a lot of models and to me the 2020 is a nice improvement over the previous one. The suspension is more compliant in the Road mode and is much better for the highway slogs. As has been mentioned, the vibration has been reduced and it rides really smooth. I'm a big fan of the TFT display and like the XR version better than what I had on the GSA. There is an additional sport screen that displays lean angles, monitors the intervention level of DTC and ABS and a tach that's front and center

The virus situation has made life very difficult for dealers and the manufacturers as factories have been shuttered, limiting the supply of bikes. My dealer only had this one bike and doesn't know when they will get any more in stock. I was lucky to pick it up when i did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my '20 (ice grey) last week and there are things I love about it and things that make me a little bit "meh". There is definitely no vibration in the bike and it's really smooth. The shift assist is amazing-- not sure anyone could ever make a better one than this.
My two negatives are, first of all, the seat is a complete joke. I'm not certain what they were thinking when they produced this replica of a cereal bowl. I'm 6'6" / 220lbs but have an "average" sized (in my opinion) narrow backside. The seat is so "cupped" that you just sit on the outer rim all the way around like sitting on a porta-potty. It's literally the worst motorcycle seat I've ever sat on. I can't last 10 minutes. And, yes, I always purchase aftermarket anyway (Sargent primarily) but -- because it's a brand new model (and with Covid), there is NOTHING close to being released.
*** NEARLY EVERY SINGLE PART on this bike is new. Nothing is compatible from the previous XR. I put-in an order for a Sargent but then investigated and realized that even the seat is completely different (mount-points etc). Different windshield, exhaust, light mounts, etc. There is nothing that can be made better with aftermarket parts for a while (and then, the XR is limited in aftermarket anyway).
Secondly, if you're comparing to other traveling or adventure bikes, I just sold my '15 K16GT and '17 GSA, and the XR is definitely "smaller". It's fun to ride - don't get me wrong - but it hasn't got the stability and solidity for highway tour riding or two-up. My girlfriend says she "doesn't mind it but it's nowhere near as comfortable and the wobbliness and wind get tiring fast".
I got it primarily for canyon riding and going for short, 30 minute ride alone and I'm sure it'll be a blast for that (of course I have to wait for some ergonomics upgrades to make it livable at all).

As for the motor, tranny, suspension, it's definitely a gem and is a much more "refined" bike than the previous model. It loses a lot of the aggressive punch and pull of the previous XR but has a really powerful constant pull throughout. I think it's better because I don't like a 'powerband' feel on a street bike as I do on a dirtbike.
It's a great bike but definitely not a formidable replacement to your GT if you're wanting the same solid road presence. I feel that the GT is 75% road comfort & 25% sport. This is about 80% sport & 20% road comfort.
Hopefully this little review helps anyone. Great bike-- just different from what you might be coming off of.

-J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got my '20 (ice grey) last week and there are things I love about it and things that make me a little bit "meh". There is definitely no vibration in the bike and it's really smooth. The shift assist is amazing-- not sure anyone could ever make a better one than this.
My two negatives are, first of all, the seat is a complete joke. I'm not certain what they were thinking when they produced this replica of a cereal bowl. I'm 6'6" / 220lbs but have an "average" sized (in my opinion) narrow backside. The seat is so "cupped" that you just sit on the outer rim all the way around like sitting on a porta-potty. It's literally the worst motorcycle seat I've ever sat on. I can't last 10 minutes. And, yes, I always purchase aftermarket anyway (Sargent primarily) but -- because it's a brand new model (and with Covid), there is NOTHING close to being released.
*** NEARLY EVERY SINGLE PART on this bike is new. Nothing is compatible from the previous XR. I put-in an order for a Sargent but then investigated and realized that even the seat is completely different (mount-points etc). Different windshield, exhaust, light mounts, etc. There is nothing that can be made better with aftermarket parts for a while (and then, the XR is limited in aftermarket anyway).
Secondly, if you're comparing to other traveling or adventure bikes, I just sold my '15 K16GT and '17 GSA, and the XR is definitely "smaller". It's fun to ride - don't get me wrong - but it hasn't got the stability and solidity for highway tour riding or two-up. My girlfriend says she "doesn't mind it but it's nowhere near as comfortable and the wobbliness and wind get tiring fast".
I got it primarily for canyon riding and going for short, 30 minute ride alone and I'm sure it'll be a blast for that (of course I have to wait for some ergonomics upgrades to make it livable at all).

As for the motor, tranny, suspension, it's definitely a gem and is a much more "refined" bike than the previous model. It loses a lot of the aggressive punch and pull of the previous XR but has a really powerful constant pull throughout. I think it's better because I don't like a 'powerband' feel on a street bike as I do on a dirtbike.
It's a great bike but definitely not a formidable replacement to your GT if you're wanting the same solid road presence. I feel that the GT is 75% road comfort & 25% sport. This is about 80% sport & 20% road comfort.
Hopefully this little review helps anyone. Great bike-- just different from what you might be coming off of.

-J
What exactly does your gf mean by wobbliness? I am looking at one of these hard. Two up riding occasionally.

Update I rode one today. I have a good feel for the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Didn't subscribe to this thread. My girlfriend says she feels the wind moving us around quite a bit more than on the GSA or GT (which is to be expected because of sheer weight / size). I guess, on the back, it feels like we shift side to side a little (which isn't really perceivable by me).

I'm not really sure how anyone else who bought a '20 is getting along with the stock seat as it is utterly unbearable. I bought an Airhawk to fill the "hole" they lovingly developed for us to sit in like falling into a port-o-potty.

Also, there's definitely a flat spot at about 7-8K rpm in the lower gears. I cannot wait for someone to get a pipe out there for this bike and a map tune. My goodness, the more I ride it, the more I can feel the crazy de-tune that holds this bike back. Disappointing. Covid is probably gonna cause an entire first-year of riding stock. Not a single part will be out for this bike until near end of the year. :(

Cheers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts