BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR Black Storm Metallic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at my dealer yesterday picking up a new 2021 Black RR :)

While there I asked the dealer to install the BMW Torque Optimization map so I could have no worries regarding the warranty and flatten/fix the torque dip at 6k rpm.

While there the service manager said all 2021's ship with the BMW Torque Map installed and that the optional fix was only available for 2020s.

Can anyone confirm this or add some info on the issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts

While there I asked the dealer to install the BMW Torque Optimization map so I could have no worries regarding the warranty and flatten/fix the torque dip at 6k rpm.

While there the service manager said all 2021's ship with the BMW Torque Map installed and that the optional fix was only available for 2020s.

Thanks
Wtf is torque optimization map. I have the 2020 and I do not believe there is any map in the unites states that is offered by BMW which would get ride of the flat spot at 6k. If there was folks wouldn’t have spent $$ on an after market tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
3,886 Posts
Wtf is torque optimization map. I have the 2020 and I do not believe there is any map in the unites states that is offered by BMW which would get ride of the flat spot at 6k. If there was folks wouldn’t have spent $$ on an after market tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How can you never read about this on this forum?

·
Registered
119 Posts
How can you never read about this on this forum?

:eek:Thanks BMW_388 did not know this. Is this a paid service from BMW Dealer or is it free? I would be down to get this done and test it out. Do you know if we are able to go back to factory ECU if we do not like the Torque Optimization map?

@Garagemoto7 You're late to the party mate.
Clearly :censored:

·
Registered
871 Posts

Thanks
Doesnt surprise me another dealer that doesnt know crap! They dont ship with the TOM, the dealer has to do it! Its free one time deal. Just keep in mind that it will take off 20 HP off the top end and still wont give you midrange like an Flash from brentune .You wont loose top end with bren flash either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK, I just got an update. My dealer checked with BMW and was told my 2021 can have the Torque Optimization Map installed for free should I choose that.

Note: the other thread on this topic is helpful to garagemoto 7 if you haven't seen it yet. I found it helpful in my thinking. I plan on trying it out and based on Brentun dynos it looks like a good, not as good!, option that for sure keeps the warranty in place which is my first concern. Being a novice track guy I enjoy improving speed on corners and corner exit more than total top speed on straightaways. That's my reasoning anyway :)

·
Vendor
3,886 Posts
:eek:Thanks BMW_388 did not know this. Is this a paid service from BMW Dealer or is it free? I would be down to get this done and test it out. Do you know if we are able to go back to factory ECU if we do not like the Torque Optimization map?
I dont know what today's representation is of the Torque Optimization ( TO which is FA / VO 18T ) at this time.

There was one rumor told to me by a dealer that if they detected the customer was going to be an issue with the 2nd and 3rd gear lag, they would load the TO code at first service and be done with having to hear about the 2nd and 3rd gear lag. Very few 'new' customers to BMW S1000RR are going to notice the 20HP loss in top end. If they came back with the issue of less top end feel then it was explained to them how it would be with the 'standard' code and the lag at 2nd and 3rd.

Yes, I see while typing this someone posted that TO code is available for 2021 still. One announcement made by BMW was that once you installed the TO code, you had 90 days to return if you did not like it and the standard put back with no ability to have the TO code put back again. The reason is simple. Its free the first time you ask for it, they dont want owners to think that they can come in on Wednesday and get the better track day type TO code and then the next week go back to the standard code so the top speed and feel is restored for riding about town.

The TO code kills the top end. I dont see how anyone can ride around on that code but my bike is rarely below 6000 RPM even on street rides. XWORKS V1 and V2 method of installing the race proven code is the only real way to protect your warranty. My process leaves no trace of coding and does not increment the flash counter on the ECU. Plus I update your GM, ESA, and TFT cluster with additional features for free for 3 years. I tried the handheld process already. It leaves coding data in the ECU. There is a header and a footer to its boot loader and one day in the future, BMWAG will setup ISTA to detect this. The dealer is asked to do a VEHCILE TEST ABL today and it creates a JSON file that is sent to BMWAG. That does contain enough information about how you rode the bike and what code is in there at the time of the test.

Not sure any of you are following the California SMOG process on cars.

here is the short version of it

I have already figured out how to get around this. I know what they are checking in the ECU code to detect a modified tune. So only a spoof process is needed to get the result calculation they are looking for. The same process is already here for BMW bikes with ISTA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good points about how often will I actually be below 6000 rpm. I thought the power dip issue is between 6k and 8k rpm which I am in a lot. Guess I'll learn more once I start riding the bike though it is rev limited until 1st service. Also, the dyno chart Brentun showed has a big improvement in earlier rpm torque in the BMW TOM

·
Registered
480 Posts
To me, for street riding, there was not a pronounced difference between the Torque Optimization and Brentuning. Note that I asked BT to keep the exhaust flapper closed at idle, and not raise the rev limiter because I like my bike quiet and have no real reasons to go that high on the RPMs. I still went for BT, mostly to improve startup hesitation; shifting with BT is also a little better. I highly recommend giving the TO a try before 3rd party tune.

·
Registered
871 Posts
OK, I just got an update. My dealer checked with BMW and was told my 2021 can have the Torque Optimization Map installed for free should I choose that.

Note: the other thread on this topic is helpful to garagemoto 7 if you haven't seen it yet. I found it helpful in my thinking. I plan on trying it out and based on Brentun dynos it looks like a good, not as good!, option that for sure keeps the warranty in place which is my first concern. Being a novice track guy I enjoy improving speed on corners and corner exit more than total top speed on straightaways. That's my reasoning anyway :)
You should not really buy a new bike these days as they are all neutered from factory if you are worried about the warranty. That TOM will still be 20 HP down at around 7K RPM compared to a real flash and down over 20 HP on the Top end.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You should not really buy a new bike these days as they are all neutered from factory if you are worried about the warranty. That TOM will still be 20 HP down at around 7K RPM compared to a real flash and down over 20 HP on the Top end.
Not to argue, truly interested: have you tried the TOM? If yes, did you compare it with BT and feel the difference? I might be an exception, but for me, it was quite good.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not to argue, truly interested: have you tried the TOM? If yes, did you compare it with BT and feel the difference? I might be an exception, but for me, it was quite good.
No didnt bother saw the dyno chart, 20 hp in the midrange and top end should be felt though

·
8,511 Posts
Any dealership provided map has to comply with EPA rules. So they are all neutered. Any modern literbike requires a flash. Otherwise no point of keeping it stock.
It's crazy one has to pay $1500 (GS911 + flash + shipping) to do maintenance and run bike as it is supposed to be. Counting the days till a proper esuperbike is released.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts