BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a AIM Solo 2 DL. However, I dont clear answers on whether it will be compatible with the new S1000RR 2020.

There are some of the links I have:

https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/products/solo2-solo2dl/index.htm
https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/products/solo2-solo2dl/installation-kits/bmw/kit-solo2-solo2dl-bmw-s-1000-rr.htm
https://www.aimshop.com/products/bmw-s1000rr-s1000rr-hp4-br-solo-2-dl-plug-play-kit

This is what I got on further digging with AIM's support:

Right please see below email from the tech guys regarding your bike it will all work just not sure if we will get all the channels for from the ecu . I will supply you with both the Can connection and the OBD11

What you could try with this is to use the same BMW S1000RR 2015 protocol connecting into the CAN wires of the bike which you can pick from the OBDII (6 and 14) or from different locations like under the dashboard referring to the following documentation for its wires color code https://www.aim-sportline.com/download/ecu/stock/bmw/BMWS1000RR_105_eng.pdf

The use of a standard OBDII protocol is also an alternative.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great question - I'm interested too.

Related to that, does anyone know if the optional BMW data logger collects any information that the AIM Solo 2 DL does not?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was told that CAN bus message protocol is the same, meaning AIM and HP datalogger should work. I haven't tried on line yet, as I haven't received the bike yet

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told that CAN bus message protocol is the same, meaning AIM and HP datalogger should work. I haven't tried on line yet, as I haven't received the bike yet
Does this mean I can get the OBD connector for the Solo 2 DL and all is good?

·
Vendor
2,075 Posts
Great question - I'm interested too.

Related to that, does anyone know if the optional BMW data logger collects any information that the AIM Solo 2 DL does not?
Here is what I have been told on this issue you all have questions on.

The STOCK K67 ECU on the HP DataLogger has been said does not work. 2D racing says the channel protocols are different. I emailed them in June for this information and they indicated that it will be June 2020 before a datalogger is released that works with the K67....

Now here is the real deal. The HP DataLogger does work on the K67. The only thing it does not do is read the throttle body as SPLIT throttle bodies. It does not read the 2nd set of O2 sensors. It does not read the RDC for tire pressures. So basically what you would want to read anyway from the K46 in the HP DataLogger, it reads this. Suspension reading, VSS, ECU parameters, over 300 channels you can get from the ECU. I sent my datalogs to 2D racing and they verified what it read was very correct. They still will tell people that the DataLogger does not work because it is not designed to read the K67 in all its extra parameters it has.

I am not very familiar with the newer Solo 2 version and what all it can pick up off the CAN BUS. It is my guess that yes, the HP DataLogger still picks up more information than the Solo 2 device. The AIM family of products however do the video overlays with laptimes and that is pretty cool to use. One of my R1M friends have this and he sends me his AIM info so I can play with it in AIM Race software.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The STOCK K67 ECU on the HP DataLogger has been said does not work. 2D racing says the channel protocols are different. I emailed them in June for this information and they indicated that it will be June 2020 before a datalogger is released that works with the K67....

Now here is the real deal. The HP DataLogger does work on the K67. The only thing it does not do is read the throttle body as SPLIT throttle bodies. It does not read the 2nd set of O2 sensors. It does not read the RDC for tire pressures. So basically what you would want to read anyway from the K46 in the HP DataLogger, it reads this. Suspension reading, VSS, ECU parameters, over 300 channels you can get from the ECU. I sent my datalogs to 2D racing and they verified what it read was very correct. They still will tell people that the DataLogger does not work because it is not designed to read the K67 in all its extra parameters it has.

I am not very familiar with the newer Solo 2 version and what all it can pick up off the CAN BUS. It is my guess that yes, the HP DataLogger still picks up more information than the Solo 2 device. The AIM family of products however do the video overlays with laptimes and that is pretty cool to use. One of my R1M friends have this and he sends me his AIM info so I can play with it in AIM Race software.
Hi Floyd,

Thanks for the reply.

The AIM Solo 2 DL has a OBD connector. Is it safe to assume it can pick up the CAN bus through this cable/connector?

·
Vendor
2,075 Posts
Hi Floyd,

Thanks for the reply.

The AIM Solo 2 DL has a OBD connector. Is it safe to assume it can pick up the CAN bus through this cable/connector?
I have no idea what the wiring pinout is of the AIM cable. You will have to match the pins based on the wiring schematics. The OBDII connector is SAE set on certain pins, and others are available for manufacture use. Like pin 4 is ground, 16 is 12v power. Pin 6 CAN HIGH PIN 14 CAN LOW .. so if you see that the AIM is configured at least like this, and it can read the protocol PIDs of the K67, you are good to go.

2020 K67 ///M Programmed XWORKS ECU by me
2018 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2017 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2015 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2014 K46 RCK2 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
Thanks to MotoMillion.com for the support and selling my programming
PM me for any tech support and feature details on XWORKS ECU's

EXWERKS Flash Tuning Programming
BMSK BMSX BMSMP BMSO BMW S1000RR S1000R ECU Reprogramming
HandHeld Tune/Flash tool information:pM me for now-website coming 2020
Email:pM for now-website coming 2020
Phone:pM for mobile text or voice
Programming RCK2 RCK3 HP Power Kit 2010-2019 K46
Programming 2019/20 K67 EXWERKS BMWAG flash
Programming Marriage ECU Cluster EWS
Lost Keys Service 2005-2020 BMW Motorrad
Master ASE with L1
Certified Master GM Tech

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Do you know where I could look up the PID information for reading the "Brake Pressure" from OBD?

RaceChrono + OBDLink MX+ is allowing me to read the throttle position already. If I could read the brake pressure the same way, I would save myself a lot of hassle of getting a AIM

·
Vendor
2,075 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks. I will check it out.

I think in the next month or two I will focus first on trying to figure out the Bluetooth interface. The last BMW Connected app update gives me considerable evidence that there is a lot of performance information exposed via BT, maybe enough without needing to get into OBD2 or even CAN Bus natively.

I am currently writing some detailed feedback/suggestions for BMW product management on the electronics, the TFT/console, the Bluetooth interface, the phone app and even some basic hardware (e.g., my track-prep experience and how they can make it way easier with a few small changes).

I will include a section on exposing interfaces, especially for performance data and off-bike configuration, for both enthusiasts and product vendors. It's a way of stimulating excitement and a differentiator for their product line. The main obstacle is the ever-present fear of legal liability regardless of source.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone successfully connected SOLO DL2? Is a plug and play cable available or do you need to wire it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone successfully connected SOLO DL2? Is a plug and play cable available or do you need to wire it?
Normally you can use the AIM cable V02569230 as a direct CAN connection to the SoloDL (same cable as used for the old model). Not sure if you can use the previous model configfiles to connect it. Will check in a few weeks when my 2020 arrives.
I have a used cable in stock (also have an almost new Solo2DL demo up for sale if interested)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Will be interested in hearing about both of your experiences. I just purchased a SOLO DL2, wish I knew about yours earlier. I love the SOLO DL with Smarty cam combo. Extremely simple to use...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can confirm that the SOLO 2 DL works perfectly with the K67 (S1000RR 2020)

You have to connect the AIM device using the DWA connector. Thats all

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can confirm that the SOLO 2 DL works perfectly with the K67 (S1000RR 2020)

You have to connect the AIM device using the DWA connector. Thats all
Would you mind elaborating on how to do this for those of us that don’t know what or where the DWA connector is

thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts