BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'd like to introduce our new product.

Greatest Road is an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch app for motorcyclists. It's rather like a restaurant review app, but for motorcycle roads. It helps bikers find good places to ride based on routes added and rated by others who own the app.

You move around the built-in map to an interesting area, then look for interesting routes sorted by length, rating, or other factors.

See how other riders have rated a stretch overall and in terms of fun, twistiness, scenery and road surface. Look at a view of the stretch and see its length and surface type. Tap the map to zoom in on the stretch full screen.

There are loads of other features, including:

• Export any stretch to a gpx file for easy transfer to a bike GPS
  • See any stretch in Google Maps on a PC or Mac
  • Post any ride to your Facebook wall
  • Quickly and easily add your own routes
  • Use the app in English, German, Italian, or French

Check it out in the iTunes App Store:

Good riding,

Daniel

Daniel Pifko
Founder & CEO
Greatest Road Software

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Contacting us

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to post here or get in touch with us on our support pages.

You can also follow our Twitter feed (@greatestroad) or friend us on Facebook (greatestroad | Facebook )

We look forward to hearing from you!

Daniel Pifko
Founder & CEO
Greatest Road Software

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Live in over 50 countries

Is it just US or global?
Global. It's sold in over 50 countries. When you buy the app in any one of those countries you also have the ability to see/add roads in any of the other ones. See Frequently Asked Questions for the list (though we're adding new ones as we can)

We promoted it first in the US and Canada starting in January, so the bulk of the routes are there. That said, we've started to get more of a following in the UK and across Europe now that we're translated into German, French and Italian (that version was just launched in the past couple of weeks).

Since all of the road stretches are stored online, anyone who's bought the app always has access to the newly-added routes as different communities around the world catch on and start to populate the local favourites.

Daniel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gladly. Anytime. Tell all your friends (who can then send you good rides you didn't know about ;-) ).

Daniel

·
Registered
261 Posts
just purchased and downloaded this ap, The only thing I can get it to do is lock up my Iphone. I've tried to open it several times with the same resullt, a window that comes up saying "sort stretches" then locks up until I menu out of the program. Talk about a waste of 5 bucks, this is it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just purchased and downloaded this ap, The only thing I can get it to do is lock up my Iphone. I've tried to open it several times with the same resullt, a window that comes up saying "sort stretches" then locks up until I menu out of the program. Talk about a waste of 5 bucks, this is it.
Hi MJZ,

I was away from my computer for the holiday and just got to this. Sorry for the delay.

It sounds like you are having network connection problems. All networked iPhone apps act weirdly if they're in a low, but not dead, connection area. We're no exception, and we've been building up our resilience to this situation. That said, it's entirely possible we've messed up somewhere, though we have thousands of other working customers and I haven't seen a complete lockout yet.

If it is something we've done, I'll take full responsibility and fix it (we're about to publish a minor update), find a work-around or, at worst, help you get a refund. For the sake of a few bucks there's no way I'm going to let anyone feel ripped off.

So let me run down the list of usual suspects:

How many bars of connectivity do you have, and is it wi-fi, 3G, E, or something else? What part of the world are you in?

Can you connect by wi-fi or a strong 3G signal and try it again?

Can you try powering off your iPhone, starting it again, and trying the app? You do this by pressing the power button until you see a Turn Off slider. Slide it, let the iPhone turn off, then press the power button again to turn it on.

Let me know the answers to these questions here, by PM or by email and we'll get you squared away.

For the record, I had thought of responding to this as a private message but decided it was more important to ensure that anyone else with any kind of difficulty knows what kind of company is standing behind the software. If there's a problem, we'll make it right somehow. Besides - we're bikers too and we want the app to work as well as it possibly can.

Best regards,

Daniel Pifko
Founder & CEO

·
Registered
261 Posts
Update!!!!!

Daniel was right, I was in Destin, Fl when I downloaded it and AT&T really sucks there. Once I got home yesterday I tried it again and it worked just fine. Lesson learned: pray another carrier gets Iphone soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi MJZ,

I was away from my computer for the holiday and just got to this. Sorry for the delay.

It sounds like you are having network connection problems. All networked iPhone apps act weirdly if they're in a low, but not dead, connection area. We're no exception, and we've been building up our resilience to this situation. That said, it's entirely possible we've messed up somewhere, though we have thousands of other working customers and I haven't seen a complete lockout yet.

If it is something we've done, I'll take full responsibility and fix it (we're about to publish a minor update), find a work-around or, at worst, help you get a refund. For the sake of a few bucks there's no way I'm going to let anyone feel ripped off.

So let me run down the list of usual suspects:

How many bars of connectivity do you have, and is it wi-fi, 3G, E, or something else? What part of the world are you in?

Can you connect by wi-fi or a strong 3G signal and try it again?

Can you try powering off your iPhone, starting it again, and trying the app? You do this by pressing the power button until you see a Turn Off slider. Slide it, let the iPhone turn off, then press the power button again to turn it on.

Let me know the answers to these questions here, by PM or by email and we'll get you squared away.

For the record, I had thought of responding to this as a private message but decided it was more important to ensure that anyone else with any kind of difficulty knows what kind of company is standing behind the software. If there's a problem, we'll make it right somehow. Besides - we're bikers too and we want the app to work as well as it possibly can.

Best regards,

Daniel Pifko
Founder & CEO
Why not make the APP work of the GPS the iphone has? Just wondering.

P.S. Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update!!!!!

Daniel was right, I was in Destin, Fl when I downloaded it and AT&T really sucks there. Once I got home yesterday I tried it again and it worked just fine. Lesson learned: pray another carrier gets Iphone soon.
Hi again,

That's really fantastic to hear. I'm glad it's cleared up, and I agree with you completely on having more carrier choice.

Hope you enjoy the app,

Daniel

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why not make the APP work of the GPS the iphone has? Just wondering.

P.S. Welcome to the forums.
Hi Papi4baby,

We do use the location services (gps if available on your model, wi-fi if not) in the phone to place you on the map and, in one cases, to get directions. Underneath your location, though, we rely on Google Maps software to provide the map itself plus all the local roads and point to point directions.

Thanks for the welcome,

Daniel

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just loaded the App onto my iPod touch and set up a couple of rides (in the UK). So far so good - like the idea and the way the App works.

Only one question - how do I edit a route once I've created it - only seems you can edit the text?

Cheers
Coling

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Guys,

Just loaded the App onto my iPod touch and set up a couple of rides (in the UK). So far so good - like the idea and the way the App works.

Only one question - how do I edit a route once I've created it - only seems you can edit the text?

Cheers
Coling
Hi Colin,

We're glad you like it. Thanks for being a customer.

You can't edit the shape of a route that's been created and saved with a name and description. While you're adding any route you can tap any waypoint to erase it and include more waypoints (up to 23). If you want to erase any route and start again, just use the yellow Flag button to mark it as junk. We erase pretty much all routes that are flagged by the contributors. Yes, we know this isn't optimal and we're looking at options for future releases.

Good riding,

Daniel

·
Registered
64 Posts
OK, no problem...I flagged up a route I entered that wasn't quite right...and it was removed pretty damn quick!

By the way...how many sales have you had in the UK..? I'm doing my bit for the eastern counties, but we could do with a few more Brits adding their routes nearby for me to try :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, no problem...I flagged up a route I entered that wasn't quite right...and it was removed pretty damn quick!

By the way...how many sales have you had in the UK..? I'm doing my bit for the eastern counties, but we could do with a few more Brits adding their routes nearby for me to try :)
Oh, that was you! ;-) We get email alerts when people flag routes. We want to jump on them quickly since it immediately helps keep up the overall quality of the ride list.

We don't really break out the number of users, but you can see the number of stretches at any time by just zooming out and tapping Show Me on all of the UK. At the moment it's about 80, up from something like 50 a few weeks ago. We're accelerating.

I've been telling my own buddies to get the app for exactly this reason - I want them to put the rides in so we can go hit them together. It's a really convenient and unambiguous way to describe routes to each other.

We're looking at other ways of getting the word out in the UK, all of it focused on getting more rides in more areas. That's the key value to most people - we get it.

Daniel

1 - 20 of 29 Posts