BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They don’t tell you this when you buy one but trust me. 2 rides on a Duke 690 with a quad lock = 2 new iphone 13 Pros. I have not tried the S1000RR and iPhone 13 combo yet. I won’t though. When you open the camera you can here the auto focus camera buzzing and it will not focus properly if it is damaged.

USE CAUTION

·
Registered
37 Posts
They don’t tell you this when you buy one but trust me. 2 rides on a Duke 690 with a quad lock = 2 new iphone 13 Pros. I have not tried the S1000RR and iPhone 13 combo yet. I won’t though. When you open the camera you can here the auto focus camera buzzing and it will not focus properly if it is damaged.

USE CAUTION
You’ll need to get the phone serviced and it might not be covered by warranty - I had the same issue with the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Purchased the “damper” from SP connect and still got a second one damaged, so currently on my third.

BMW just introduced a cradle, and it will also probably lead to damages…

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
528 Posts
I have been using the Quad Lock mounting system with the vibration dampener for over a year, (in an RR and 1200GS) with great success, in conjunction with my iPhone 8plus. Last year took a trip(1200GS) from Colorado to Yellowstone to Seattle and back to Colorado without any issues. Fwiw, the company has a 30% off sale going on at the moment. I don't work for the company and don't have any association with it other than being a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
150 Posts
I have been using the Quad Lock mounting system with the vibration dampener for over a year, (in an RR and 1200GS) with great success, in conjunction with my iPhone 8plus.
i believe this is an issue limited to the camera on the iPhone 13, which has a focus device that is sensitive to vibration.

which sucks because I been meaning to upgrade, but would be annoying to not have the phone easily accessible.

thanks for the info, was hoping that the vibration damper would help, but no joy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Forgot to say that I only used the phone holder on my KTM 1290 Super Adventure R.
Have not tried on the M 1000 RR, but after having damaged two phones, not willing to test.

All phones that use an optical image stabilization (OIS) are subject to this, not just iPhones.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had zero issues with my iPhone XS Max. First ride with my 2 day old iPhone it broke. I did not realize it was broken till the next day and did not realize that it was the combination that did it. I noticed after an update and put it down to that. It was replaced by apple. Second ride yesterday 30-40 miles. Same issue broken! I will be getting a new one today, but don’t know how I can operate from this point on. Based on how sensitive it is I don’t think I will trust a dampener.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i believe this is an issue limited to the camera on the iPhone 13, which has a focus device that is sensitive to vibration.

which sucks because I been meaning to upgrade, but would be annoying to not have the phone easily accessible.

thanks for the info, was hoping that the vibration damper would help, but no joy!
From what I read, it has to do with the image stabilizer starting from iPhone 11. I phone 10 and earlier do not have the issues.

That being said, I used the quad lock wireless charger with damper (steering stem mounted) on a quick 250 mile ride. I just got my iP13 pro so I was worried. Worked like charm and no issues.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Even iPhone 7's have had the cameras messed up. This is Russian Rolette, sure some (many even?) will not have an issue but you're playing the game with a ~$1000 buy in. If you must mount a phone for nav. buy a used iPhone 5 or newer on eBay for under $50 and mount that.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've had vibration destruction issues with my 360 cams (insta360 X and X2) when mounted to my triple clamp. My Google and Samsung phones have been fine when mounted to an X-Grip, which seems to offer significant vibration damping. Quadlock has a vibration damping option that I'm about to try for my camera mounts.

All bikes vibrate, but the intense high-frequency vibration you get from a superbike inline 4 may be the worst for electronics.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have my iPhone 13 Pro Max on my Ram mount and do 80 miles a day. No issues here. Even so, there's factory warranty which will cover that. If not, I also got insurance with my cell provider.

I also have Solid Motor Mounts in one of my Track Cars which vibrates the whole Dash and still no issues here. Been this way for since my iphone 11 Pro max.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I’ve had no issues with my iPhone 12 Pro Max on my k67. I use a wireless charging x grip mount and my phone has a thin rubber case. Maybe the rubber stem mount that comes with the x-grip takes away most of the vibrations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ve had no issues with my iPhone 12 Pro Max on my k67. I use a wireless charging x grip mount and my phone has a thin rubber case. Maybe the rubber stem mount that comes with the x-grip takes away most of the vibrations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the BuyBits Stem mount its rock solid and doesn't spin when riding like the factory Ram mount setup.

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
528 Posts
The problem has been around for a while (it was only recently that Apple/BMW acknowledged it). I have a receipt from Nov 2020 for an iPhone dampener (my second dampener) as a result of reports of phone camera damage on the 1200GS and the RR due to the vibrations. At the time the evidence was anecdotal, but the Quad Lock company had received enough complaints to justify the design and sale of their dampener. I need to check my receipts, but I believe a dampener had already been installed on my 1200GS in the summer of 2020, when I traveled from my home to Yellowstone and Seattle.

There are a couple of YouTube videos of folks complaining of damaged camera phones due to vibrations. Trying to find them and when/if I do, I will post links to them.

Now, is the iPhone 13 more susceptible to this issue? Hell if I know, but I would not be surprised if it was. And considering the cost of the iPhone 13, I would want to be very certain the dampener from Quad Lock or any other company works properly. :)

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
My arrangement (below) uses my phone as my primary device with my Garmin Nav VI as backup/augmentation. Prior to my Google Pixel 5, I never had a problem in 55,000 miles of usage on in X-Grips on RRs. About a year ago, right after I bought my Google Pixel 5 (which has optical image stabilization), I had a camera failure that was replaced under warranty. No problem after that. Once the warning came out from Apple, I suspected that's what happened to my Pixel 5 and replaced my existing mounts with a Quad Lock combo that includes their anti-vibration component.

Interestingly, BMW's new phone cradle, which I normally would have considered, precludes the use of an anti-vibration component. Obviously, I won't be going there.

P.S. Interesting footnotes in Apple's warning (Exposure to vibrations, like those generated by high-powered motorcycle engines, might impact iPhone cameras):
1. OIS is available on iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone 7 and later including iPhone SE (2nd generation). Note that the Ultra Wide camera on iPhone 11 and later doesn't have OIS, nor does the Telephoto camera on iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus.
2. Closed-loop AF is available on iPhone XS and later, including iPhone SE (2nd generation).

My setup below includes, in order, BMW's Navigation Prep mount, WunderLinq's Blackbox, Quad Lock 360 4-Hole Flat Rectangle Base, Quad Lock Anti-Vibration Dampener, Quad Lock 360 Head Lever, and Quad Lock Phone Case.

Light Product Gadget Camera Cameras & optics

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been using the Quad Lock mounting system with the vibration dampener for over a year, (in an RR and 1200GS) with great success, in conjunction with my iPhone 8plus. Last year took a trip(1200GS) from Colorado to Yellowstone to Seattle and back to Colorado without any issues. Fwiw, the company has a 30% off sale going on at the moment. I don't work for the company and don't have any association with it other than being a satisfied customer.
iPhone 8 plus doesn't have the same mechanism therefore not the same vulnerability. Apple knows about the problem and has put out a bulletin so you will probably get one free repair but after that...

·
Registered
77 Posts

USE CAUTION

Absolutely agree! I have destroyed three iphone 12pro cameras - using both the regular Quad Lock AND after I installed the Quad Lock Dampening Device....

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Interestingly, BMW's new phone cradle, which I normally would have considered, precludes the use of an anti-vibration component. Obviously, I won't be going there.
I'm updating/correcting my statement above: While reading through the listing next below, kind of buried at the very bottom, I found the statement second below.

Listing: https://bmw.europe-moto.com/gb/high...ne-holder.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=2

Statement: "Being intended for use with a smartphone, the holder of course protects your phone from motorcycle vibrations."

This removes my biggest concern about the cradle, that it precludes use of an anti-vibration add-on component.

That said, given danjoseph's destruction of an iphone 12pro while using a Quad Lock Dampening Device makes me wonder if any anit-vibration dampner will suffice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Of course individual experiences may vary but what I can say is that I have a Ducati Monster 1200 as well as an '20 nS1KRR - in both instances, I first used the regular mount (steerer tube on the S1K and handlebar on the M1200s) before ordering and installing the dampening device - and had phone cameras fried before installing the dampener and after.

While the dampening device may help to reduce the high frequency vibration issue, I found that phone mount with dampening device needed to be set up so that the phone was nearly horizontal (impossible to view from a riding position) to make it in any way visible and keep the phone from "shaking" - forget the glare from this angle.

If mounted in a way that allows one to actually see the screen of the phone (i.e. at somewhat of an angle) the weight of the phone while ridin will allow it to "shake" or move back and forth (there is no way to "tighten" the attachment to make it sit more securely). The larger swinging or shaking killed phone #2.

In the end I gave up after phone number 3 and will just keep it in my pocket until there is some kind of update from Apple that allows one to "turn off" the motion control function that appears to be the source of the issue.

Let me say that outside of this issue, I think the Quadlock system is one of if not the best out there and up until this point, I was VERY happy with the product. It is unfortunate that I can no longer use it. At this point, I just do not trust the system.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
About a year ago, right after I bought my Google Pixel 5 (which has optical image stabilization), I had a camera failure that was replaced under warranty. No problem after that. Once the warning came out from Apple, I suspected that's what happened to my Pixel 5 and replaced my existing mounts with a Quad Lock combo that includes their anti-vibration component.
A bit more on my experience mentioned above. I suspect that my Google Pixel 5 camera was destroyed by my motorcycle because the symptoms being reported are exactly what I experienced (during attempted use, the camera buzzes and fails to focus). That was a year ago. At that time, there was nothing out saying that motorcycles may be the problem, so after I had the camera repaired under warranty, I kept using the phone on my motorcycles as usual. Since then, 27,000 miles later (24,000 XR; 3,000 RR), the problem has not reoccurred. This may be because almost all of my riding was on my XR and my XR's BMW GPS Prep mount, where my Google Pixel 5 was mounted via a WunderLinq Blackbox, has anti-vibration tech built-in via rubber mounts (something I learned only recently). For added protection, I have now added Quad-Lock's anti-vibration component on both my XR and RR.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts