BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been insured with State farm in Ontario for the last few years. It's been a steady $1800/year during that time and nothing on my record has changed. Just got my renewal in the mail that is due in May and I am looking at $3100/year now.
Anyone else getting shafted like this by State Farm ? I am just inquiring since it looks like I may have to start shopping around again.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Try dairyland

·
Registered
225 Posts
It was announced on the local news this morning that Allstate was increasing their rates by 25% for a minimum of 10% of their customers starting May 1.

I'm with Markel American and my insurance rate is lower with my 16 S1000RR than it was for my 13 ZX-10R.

·
4,608 Posts
Moving from Calif to NC, switched to another insurance company, my rate was reduced by half using the same deductible and limits. Never hurts to shop around.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Allstate is not favorable to sport bikes... at least in Texas, which has very high rates anyway. I have Farmer's and it is moderately priced, but they offer good rates on my 911 and Nismo, so it equals out compared to State Farm which is less for the bikes, but works out to be much more expensive on the cars.

Sport bikes in general seem to be steadily increasing, not just Canada. My agent said that they are not issuing new policies and are selecting a few to not renew.

State Farm should be relatively competitive. Evidently, east coast Rider's was very low and then they got hit with the claims.

·
4,608 Posts
I have state farm. Was lower by almost half than anywhere else. Allstate was very high me, but ymmv.
I had the agent read me the quote 3 times to confirm what I'm hearing is correct. I had this on my face: :grin2:

I really wanted to go with foremost as they offer track insurance. But their quote is twice as much as state farm. So I figured state farm wins, I can figure something out for the track.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
As for those who get renewals that are higher, yet nothing about your circumstances have changed (credit, tickets, claims, you've moved, etc), the most likely culprit is the model bike you have and it's cost to insure for the company vs. recent claims.

As an example, state farm in Canada may have recently struck with numerous total loss, or near total loss claims or thefts on S1000RR's. In the USA, apparently this is not been the case, according to others.

The S1000RR for me was cheaper than most others, and I was told it was directly tied to the lack of historical claims when compared to gsxr zx CBR, etc.

There's not near as many of them on the road to begin with compared to the jap4.
Duc and Ape were also very cheap.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Insurance rates in Ontario suck for motorcycles. That being said, I just made the switch to Aviva using Carlos from Cornerstone Brokers (1-800-263-2369 ext 167). I got his info from GTAM. Wouldn't hurt to get a quote.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had the agent read me the quote 3 times to confirm what I'm hearing is correct. I had this on my face: :grin2:

I really wanted to go with foremost as they offer track insurance. But their quote is twice as much as state farm. So I figured state farm wins, I can figure something out for the track.
Foremost = Farmer's - yes, it covers RideSmart in Texas, but not any track days. It must be considered training and only levels I and II NOT III, however.

·
4,608 Posts
Foremost = Farmer's - yes, it covers RideSmart in Texas, but not any track days. It must be considered training and only levels I and II NOT III, however.
Still better than no track support at all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
State Farm and TD don't want sort bikes anymore. Allstate is where it's at. I'm in Ontario. I was with td last season. I paid 1100$ last year and rates went to $2900. Allstate is 1150$ full coverage, 2million liability. I had to take my cars to them though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As for those who get renewals that are higher, yet nothing about your circumstances have changed (credit, tickets, claims, you've moved, etc), the most likely culprit is the model bike you have and it's cost to insure for the company vs. recent claims.

As an example, state farm in Canada may have recently struck with numerous total loss, or near total loss claims or thefts on S1000RR's. In the USA, apparently this is not been the case, according to others.

The S1000RR for me was cheaper than most others, and I was told it was directly tied to the lack of historical claims when compared to gsxr zx CBR, etc.

There's not near as many of them on the road to begin with compared to the jap4.
Duc and Ape were also very cheap.
State Farm was bought out by desjardain

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Same happened to me with Statefarm. Was paying around $1300/year and got the renewal letter for 3700/year. The rest of the stuff is with TD MM, but MM doesn't do quotes on HP4 so called Intact and got full coverage with 2M for 1200/year.

Call around and leave Statefarm/Desjardin in the dust. I'll be moving the house from them very soon also.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Same happened to me with Statefarm. Was paying around $1300/year and got the renewal letter for 3700/year. The rest of the stuff is with TD MM, but MM doesn't do quotes on HP4 so called Intact and got full coverage with 2M for 1200/year.

Call around and leave Statefarm/Desjardin in the dust. I'll be moving the house from them very soon also.
I moved my house to Allstate also. I was paying 3100$ per year for the house. They came in at 1700$ plus more coverage.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts