BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

Registered
GS1100ES was a great bike, The half fairing looked great and made it much easier to sport tour on them.

The bike you can see the backend of on the 4 post lift is a '79 GS1000S (aka Wes Cooley).

View attachment 220346
I THOUGHT that's what that was, from seeing just a little of the tail section. Nice bike!

I saw one of your vids showing this bike and realized, you're on advrider.com too aren't you? I seem to remember at least a pic or maybe vid of this bike when I was on there. I left and currently just lurk for information and don't bother to post because I ran into far too many @ssholes there.

Registered
Thanks for the compliment on the collection. Early 60s. A bit older than you guessed. Entering the now or never phase of motorcycling so I'm not holding back much on collecting.
Collecting vs riding right?

I'd like to see a close up picture of the GSXR1100. A bike that literally changed my life

Registered
I THOUGHT that's what that was, from seeing just a little of the tail section. Nice bike!

I saw one of your vids showing this bike and realized, you're on advrider.com too aren't you? I seem to remember at least a pic or maybe vid of this bike when I was on there. I left and currently just lurk for information and don't bother to post because I ran into far too many @ssholes there.
Yep on ADVrider as Ray916MN. Fat fingered my username when I registered here. Videos get posted to Youtube under "SBK Stash"

Collecting vs riding right?

I'd like to see a close up picture of the GSXR1100. A bike that literally changed my life
Collecting, but everything is in ready to ride condition except the GSXR750 LTD which has been retired. It has about 2000 miles on it and is original except for the tires. The GSXR1100 is being built so I have a first generation GSXR to ride. It is an ex-racebike which had a blown up motor. Rebuilt with a new crank, 1109 kit, cams, mild headwork it will go together with flatslides, Racetech valved forks, Ohlins shock, Marchesini magnesium wheels and Yoshimura pipe. It has been apart for about 6 years. Tried to put it together last year, but couldn't find the shock in my shop.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Building Automotive tire Engineering

Been only getting to ride about half the bikes each year as the Minnesota riding season is short and I've been doing alot of week long riding trips which is why I have a 21' S1000RR and 17' KTM SDGT. This year the plan is TX, CA, Pyrenees, AK, OH, Appalachians,

Registered
Yep on ADVrider as Ray916MN. Fat fingered my username when I registered here. Videos get posted to Youtube under "SBK Stash"

Collecting, but everything is in ready to ride condition except the GSXR750 LTD which has been retired. It has about 2000 miles on it and is original except for the tires. The GSXR1100 is being built so I have a first generation GSXR to ride. It is an ex-racebike which had a blown up motor. Rebuilt with a new crank, 1109 kit, cams, mild headwork it will go together with flatslides, Racetech valved forks, Ohlins shock, Marchesini magnesium wheels and Yoshimura pipe. It has been apart for about 6 years. Tried to put it together last year, but couldn't find the shock in my shop.

View attachment 220353

Been only getting to ride about half the bikes each year as the Minnesota riding season is short and I've been doing alot of week long riding trips which is why I have a 21' S1000RR and 17' KTM SDGT. This year the plan is TX, CA, Pyrenees, AK, OH, Appalachians,
I KNEW I'd seen that Wes Cooley bike before! I recognized it and the front of the garage.

If I ever get enough money to collect for collection's sake, I'd get my an '86 GIXXER 1100 like the one I bought new and had until my crazy X did something really stupid and I had to sell it in '04. They were such raw, visceral bikes. Uncomfortable as hell, but, you knew you were definitely on a racebike just tamed enough to be street legal. I think I'd build it similar to yours, but I think I'd have the rear subframe re-done as a bolt-on instead of welded-on (easier to repair), do a modern style swingarm, and do modern upside-down forks. I tried back around '04 to find some new race-type bodywork for it and had trouble finding any. Best of luck with your build, make sure to post pics when done! Hell, I might ride up there just to see it! :)

Registered
I KNEW I'd seen that Wes Cooley bike before! I recognized it and the front of the garage.

If I ever get enough money to collect for collection's sake, I'd get my an '86 GIXXER 1100 like the one I bought new and had until my crazy X did something really stupid and I had to sell it in '04. They were such raw, visceral bikes. Uncomfortable as hell, but, you knew you were definitely on a racebike just tamed enough to be street legal. I think I'd build it similar to yours, but I think I'd have the rear subframe re-done as a bolt-on instead of welded-on (easier to repair), do a modern style swingarm, and do modern upside-down forks. I tried back around '04 to find some new race-type bodywork for it and had trouble finding any. Best of luck with your build, make sure to post pics when done! Hell, I might ride up there just to see it! :)
AirTech makes street and race bodywork. They do regular production, Limited and Yoshimura Tornado style. Compared to modern sportbikes they are actually pretty comfortable. Certainly not as bad as the mid 90s sportbikes. Whatever I build is always built so it can be returned to stock and mods are limited to period correct. For example the magnesium wheels are stock diameters, so the forks and rear suspension geometry are stock. Were I building a restomod, I would build a 7/11. GSXR1100 motors are easy to get since Bandit 1100 motors are derivatives. I just sold a boat load of spares to a guy who has 3 GSXR750 roller chassis, and a bunch of bodywork if you want to start collecting the parts to build a bike. 馃榿

Registered
AirTech makes street and race bodywork. They do regular production, Limited and Yoshimura Tornado style. Compared to modern sportbikes they are actually pretty comfortable. Certainly not as bad as the mid 90s sportbikes. Whatever I build is always built so it can be returned to stock and mods are limited to period correct. For example the magnesium wheels are stock diameters, so the forks and rear suspension geometry are stock. Were I building a restomod, I would build a 7/11. GSXR1100 motors are easy to get since Bandit 1100 motors are derivatives. I just sold a boat load of spares to a guy who has 3 GSXR750 roller chassis, and a bunch of bodywork if you want to start collecting the parts to build a bike. 馃榿
Maybe AirTech started producing them again since they're kinda "vintage" now. I remember when I looked they'd stopped. I REALLY wanted the "Tornado" bodywork with the air scoops and frame/carb covers back in the '90's when I was rebuilding parts of it....but, I was married then, so... 馃ぃ Then I had to sell it, sadly. I think I might go with the old PM "Chicane" wheels (if I could find them, especially in 17" sizes) to mix and match period-correct stuff with the newer suspension bits. I think that would look cool. Ah well, when I win the lottery...

I always thought that if I had money just to have a nice collection, I'd start with all the bikes I used to own ('81 Yamaha Maxim 650, the GS, the GSXR1100, and the '01 GSXR1000 I had before the 'RR) and the few like the Katana 1100 and a first year GPz550, then maybe a few others like a bimota. My buddy collects CBX's, he's got like 4 of them, 1 set up as a racer with 929 bodywork and race dash, and his new one (Mr. T - LOL) is a turbo CBX done as a racebike but with a period correct Mr. Turbo turbo and wastegate. Me, I don't want duplicates of the same bike.

Registered

Truly iconic

Such great memories
Man that thing is in GREAT shape! So much want...dammit! A few scuffs here and there on it, but it even still (looks like) the original seat cover? Mine looked like that, except I had a blue windscreen, the bubble over the headlights, a Corbin seat, full race V&H pipe with the quick-change springs mounting system (really short and LOUD! can), 36mm Mikuni flatslides, Accel coils, and 5deg ignition advancer. I tell ya, that thing wasn't much (if any) slower than the '01 Gixxer I bought new (still had both). The '01 DID turn a lot easier and had that same "on rails" stability of the '86. Man, those were the days. I had the only one (baddest bike) in town for over a year until my buddy bought one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well guys thank you to all who provided shipping information ended up not needing one as I found the bike close to me so picked it up myself, hopefully I鈥檓 still a BMW member . Super excited for my new toy 2021 Ducati Panigale V4S . Will have a hard time picking between these two beautiful machines - first world problems. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Haul bikes just quoted me a price from Ca to Knoxville,Tn for 595.00. Cheapest ones I found so far.

Well guys thank you to all who provided shipping information ended up not needing one as I found the bike close to me so picked it up myself, hopefully I鈥檓 still a BMW member . Super excited for my new toy 2021 Ducati Panigale V4S . Will have a hard time picking between these two beautiful machines - first world problems. Cheers!
Congrats!
Can you post an update on how you like 2021 V4? I only rode a 2019, tiring to ride fast.

Reactions: Garagemoto7

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Congrats!
Can you post an update on how you like 2021 V4? I only rode a 2019, tiring to ride fast.
Man, it was 10 degree [Ohio] when I bought it lol haven't ridden a Ducati yet. Few more months and hopefully it'll be riding season. From what I've read and heard it is a monster. Owning both machines now the quality on Ducati seems so much better.

Registered

Man, between you and Rray, perhaps we should have a "Show Us Your Garage" thread? I'd LOVE to see some of our member's collections in detail.

Reactions: Garagemoto7

Registered
Yes would be quite interesting to see what others members got.
Sadly, my garage is kinda mediocre and boring, with only a mostly stock 2015 'RR and a heavily farkled 2021 KTM 890 ADV R in it, and the Olde (and durty) 1991 KX500. I have nothing remotely exotic or interesting. I know what I want, I just don't have Jay Leno money! Maybe one day...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts