BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good motorcycle transport company within the US would appreciate any personal experience or first-hand knowledge of their service.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I used Haul Bikes from CA to GA. Price was fair at $700 and transit time was 10 days. Tracking wasn't great as I only got an update every 3-4 days but bike arrived in perfect condition.

·
8,846 Posts
Search for a thread started by me. I ended up using a friend that transports high end cars/bikes. He just moved Yammienoob Honda. Fully insured.
PM if you want his info.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used Haul Bikes from CA to GA. Price was fair at $700 and transit time was 10 days. Tracking wasn't great as I only got an update every 3-4 days but bike arrived in perfect condition.
Yeah waiting for the quote to come in. Thanks

Search for a thread started by me. I ended up using a friend that transports high end cars/bikes. He just moved Yammienoob Honda. Fully insured.
PM if you want his info.

View attachment 220205
PM sent sir.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I used Federal, they do all the shipping for AMA and offer a nice discount to members. Dedicated motorcycle pallets, enclosed trailers.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Actually, this is timely. My buddy is talking about trailering the bikes to The Dragon this summer, and, damn, that's a loooong, boring drive. I'd be tempted to ship the bikes there and back and then flying out. As I get older I get REAL tired of driving all day long on boring roads.

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used MotoShippers last month to ship from Central California to Seattle area. I had a great experience with them. Tim gets a lot of inquiries... I recommend a phone call. The driver (Gary) delivered the bike to my driveway, what a great guy!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used MotoShippers last month to ship from Central California to Seattle area. I had a great experience with them. Tim gets a lot of inquiries... I recommend a phone call. The driver (Gary) delivered the bike to my driveway, what a great guy!
Tim (owner of Motoshippers) is a great Guy, I know him personally (raced against him, hung out with him, had beers with him, etc) and have had him ship a bike for me. Best in the business hands down! He is buys so you may have to wait on the scheduling but its worth it for the level of service and quality.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim (owner of Motoshippers) is a great Guy, I know him personally (raced against him, hung out with him, had beers with him, etc) and have had him ship a bike for me. Best in the business hands down! He is buys so you may have to wait on the scheduling but its worth it for the level of service and quality.
Yeah I submitted the form haven’t heard anything back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've shipped over a half dozen bikes over the last two years and settled on using two shippers, Haulbikes and Bernie (703-994-8192).

Although I trust Haulbikes to not damage bikes they were having problems meeting pickup and delivery times last year, to point they were refusing to quote delivery dates. They require full payment at the time of booking, unlike most shippers who get paid on delivery. This practice means, once they've got your bike, since they've also got your money you really have no leverage with them. After delivering to the end of my driveway 3 times, the last time they delivered they refused to come down my road, forcing me to take delivery about a 1/4 mile from my house.

Bernie is a one man show who is the preferred shipper for most of the collectors I know. Completely trustworthy. He brought me an RZV500R, ELR and F4 R 312 last year, took away a 750 SRAD and will be delivering an 1199 Superleggera to me later this month. He is out of the country till 1/10 so he won't be reachable till then. He delivers to my garage door.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Used Haulbikes a year back, they were prompt and by far the cheapest for a fully insured service. Paid $550 from NM-CT and it took about 8-9 days.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I've shipped over a half dozen bikes over the last two years and settled on using two shippers, Haulbikes and Bernie (703-994-8192).

Although I trust Haulbikes to not damage bikes they were having problems meeting pickup and delivery times last year, to point they were refusing to quote delivery dates. They require full payment at the time of booking, unlike most shippers who get paid on delivery. This practice means, once they've got your bike, since they've also got your money you really have no leverage with them. After delivering to the end of my driveway 3 times, the last time they delivered they refused to come down my road, forcing me to take delivery about a 1/4 mile from my house.

Bernie is a one man show who is the preferred shipper for most of the collectors I know. Completely trustworthy. He brought me an RZV500R, ELR and F4 R 312 last year, took away a 750 SRAD and will be delivering an 1199 Superleggera to me later this month. He is out of the country till 1/10 so he won't be reachable till then. He delivers to my garage door.
RZV500R? ELR? Pics or it didn't happen! I take it to mean the original ELR done in the early '80's? Nice collection of exotics! Me, it'd be cool to have a nice 2-stroke like that (being a Suzuki guy I'd probably opt for the Gamma) but I'd really like to have an '83 Suzuki 1100 Katana if I was a collector, those things were just cool.

·
Registered
28 Posts
RZV500R? ELR? Pics or it didn't happen! I take it to mean the original ELR done in the early '80's? Nice collection of exotics! Me, it'd be cool to have a nice 2-stroke like that (being a Suzuki guy I'd probably opt for the Gamma) but I'd really like to have an '83 Suzuki 1100 Katana if I was a collector, those things were just cool.
Own over 30 bikes including an RG500 and Katana 1000 (sorry no 1100). Here's a walkthrough of the shop which should give you an idea of what I've got. (Katana is out for some work).

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Own over 30 bikes including an RG500 and Katana 1000 (sorry no 1100). Here's a walkthrough of the shop which should give you an idea of what I've got. (Katana is out for some work).

Holy Mother of God! Man, I just shorted out my keyboard with droooollll.... An ('86?) GSXR110 on the stand, some bimota bodywork behind that, a Desmosedeici, a GSXR750 Special Edition (w/dry clutch) in the corner....oh man, a (2-valve) Katana (that's why I want the '83 4-valve model). Most EXCELLENT collection, Sir! We definitely have the same taste in bikes! I subscribed by the way. I'm guessing you're also in your mid/late-'50's?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Holy Mother of God! Man, I just shorted out my keyboard with droooollll.... An ('86?) GSXR110 on the stand, some bimota bodywork behind that, a Desmosedeici, a GSXR750 Special Edition (w/dry clutch) in the corner....oh man, a (2-valve) Katana (that's why I want the '83 4-valve model). Most EXCELLENT collection, Sir! We definitely have the same taste in bikes! I subscribed by the way. I'm guessing you're also in your mid/late-'50's?
Thanks for the compliment on the collection. Early 60s. A bit older than you guessed. Entering the now or never phase of motorcycling so I'm not holding back much on collecting. The 82' Katana is essentially an AMA Superbike homologation model. While the Suzuki 4 valve GS1100 engine was introduced in 1980, AMA Superbikes were limited to 1000cc. Suzuki ran a 2 valve GS1000 bike in 1981, but made the U. S. Katana a 4 valve 1000cc motor in 1982 so it could be raced in AMA Superbike. AMA Superbikes displacement limits went to 750cc in '83 so the '83 Kat was an 1100 in the U.S. In the majority of the world the Katana was an 1100cc 4 valver from its' introduction in 1982.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on the collection. Early 60s. A bit older than you guessed. Entering the now or never phase of motorcycling so I'm not holding back much on collecting. The 82' Katana is essentially an AMA Superbike homologation model. While the Suzuki 4 valve GS1100 engine was introduced in 1980, AMA Superbikes were limited to 1000cc. Suzuki ran a 2 valve GS1000 bike in 1981, but made the U. S. Katana a 4 valve 1000cc motor in 1982 so it could be raced in AMA Superbike. AMA Superbikes displacement limits went to 750cc in '83 so the '83 Kat was an 1100 in the U.S. In the majority of the world the Katana was an 1100cc 4 valver from its' introduction in 1982.
Yeah, I remember something like that about the displacement. I had an '83 GS1100ES, my first sportbike/literbike. That was a great bike at the time, LOTS of torque/power everywhere (quite a step up from the '82 Maxim 650 I traded in) and pretty comfortable as well, a LOT more comfy than the Katana...just not as "cool". I put a Derale oil cooler on it, rejetted the CV carbs, put Accel coils on it, and a Kerker full race pipe. REALLY woke that engine up, especially up top. Also saved a TON of weight as the stock pipes were 44lbs(!!!) and the Kerker was 19. I rode that from the SoCal high desert to Boulder CO and back for a month-long vacation in the summer of '85, my first epic road trip. In fact, did I spy the back end of a silver GS up on that middle tier on the back right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I remember something like that about the displacement. I had an '83 GS1100ES, my first sportbike/literbike. That was a great bike at the time, LOTS of torque/power everywhere (quite a step up from the '82 Maxim 650 I traded in) and pretty comfortable as well, a LOT more comfy than the Katana...just not as "cool". I put a Derale oil cooler on it, rejetted the CV carbs, put Accel coils on it, and a Kerker full race pipe. REALLY woke that engine up, especially up top. Also saved a TON of weight as the stock pipes were 44lbs(!!!) and the Kerker was 19. I rode that from the SoCal high desert to Boulder CO and back for a month-long vacation in the summer of '85, my first epic road trip. In fact, did I spy the back end of a silver GS up on that middle tier on the back right?
GS1100ES was a great bike, The half fairing looked great and made it much easier to sport tour on them.

The bike you can see the backend of on the 4 post lift is a '79 GS1000S (aka Wes Cooley).

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

1 - 20 of 33 Posts