BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE to be a part of August's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last Friday I suffered the third ignition coil failure. The bike has now 23,500 kms. First failure was at 8,000 kms; second at 18,000 kms.
The first two were in different cylinders. According to the dealer, BMW has acknowledged to them a design problem with the ignition coils.
Any of you guys with over 10K miles with the same problem?

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
Well, last Friday I suffered the third ignition coil failure. The bike has now 23,500 kms. First failure was at 8,000 kms; second at 18,000 kms.
The first two were in different cylinders. According to the dealer, BMW has acknowledged to them a design problem with the ignition coils.
The K67 has an issue with the coils. You make about number 7 I have counted on this forum alone that have posted the issue. 3 here in TEXAS had the issue already.

the miles I have seen it happen as low as 3000 miles, and alot about the 5000 miles ( 8046KM ) ..

Reactions: Lejos and bennymx

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
dealer sells them.

Why arent you using the warranty to replace them? How many miles you have on yours failing?

Reactions: DIABLO2012

·
Registered
3 Posts
I already replaced them once under warranty ,now i need coils again and the dealer doesnt want to replace them cuz my bike is tuned , dealer here sucks and doesnt have them in stock anyways ,thats why i want to know where can i get them ?

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
you can try KFM .. they have some kind of connection to BMW OEM parts.

here is the part number

·
Registered
788 Posts
I already replaced them once under warranty ,now i need coils again and the dealer doesnt want to replace them cuz my bike is tuned , dealer here sucks and doesnt have them in stock anyways ,thats why i want to know where can i get them ?
Tell them they have to warranty it. A tune doesn’t make a coil go. If anything the bike is running a lot better with the tune. Just tell them to replace the bad coil. My dealer tried to pull the same crap when my rear rim started to show signs of cracking saying it was fine and that they won’t warranty it. You have to push back at them. I demanded that they have it in writing that my rim was fine because it’s my life on the line and there is gonna be a lot of **** coming their way if that happens. Long story short yup they replaced the rim. And it says if the front shows any signs of cracking to replace as well. You bought the bike new, you have a warranty and your entitled to it. Don’t give in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Can I ask how you noticed that the coil had failed?

I was at the track this weekend and in 2nd and 3rd gear the bike just stuttered during hard pulls almost like TC was stuck or maybe like the quick shifter was trying to cut ignition. Really strange.

Worked fine all day Saturday and then Sunday this started.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Can I ask how you noticed that the coil had failed?

I was at the track this weekend and in 2nd and 3rd gear the bike just stuttered during hard pulls almost like TC was stuck or maybe like the quick shifter was trying to cut ignition. Really strange.

Worked fine all day Saturday and then Sunday this started.
It probably happened when you passed me. I bet my pace made your bike decide it could go slower and rest a bit!

A coil died on me while riding a CSS bike. It felt like I was suddenly back on a 600 - wouldn't make nearly the power in any gear or RPM range. But it didn't stutter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It probably happened when you passed me. I bet my pace made your bike decide it could go slower and rest a bit!

A coil died on me while riding a CSS bike. It felt like I was suddenly back on a 600 - wouldn't make nearly the power in any gear or RPM range. But it didn't stutter.
Hahaha! Whatever! You looked great out there!

Man I had a tough weekend with the bike issues and damn it was hot.

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
If the coil fails, it typically will just run on the 3 cylinders at idle and RPM up like in a sputter.

I did see one case where the coil failed and picked back up for 10-15 minutes more of riding on 4 cylinders and then failed so bad another coil failed.

·
Vendor
4,687 Posts
Looks like it could have cracked like that during removing it. Those coils are really stuck on there in some engines. I broke one even using the BMW removal tool. It did not crack as bad as that one is, but it broke the top of the indents off where the tool goes on there. I just replaced the coil even it might have been fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had and have the same problem. Happened the first time around 10kmiles the second time on the same cylinder approx 15k miles and now just happened again at 22k this last time is not confirmed yet because they haven't look at the bike yet. This last time was the first time the bike actually died after loosing power for few minutes. On the first 2 times just lost a lot of power.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts