BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. Our state is now locked-down. No "non-essential" travel, which I interpret to mean my bikes are "hangared" until the lockdown is over. How is this changing your daily routine?

For us, it isn't too bad...yet. We're retired and can still go for walks. We read a lot, and I work out at home, anyway. We do a lot of cooking, and rarely eat out, so that's no loss. We belonged to a golf club, but quit on Sunday - the monthly expense for a "discretionary" activity that each year sees us getting worse(!) seemed foolish to maintain...and the course is closed now anyway.

What are you doing? How has it affected your family? I feel for younger families with kids and dogs and high monthly expenses and loads of debt. I'm guessing their stress level is quite high right now.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I wouldn't think you can't ride the bike as it's a solo vehicle, but you might check. I went food shopping today. Bought a bunch more food than I usually do but I work from home now and all the food I keep at work for lunch I had to buy for home. Plus, this let me know that I really didn't have as much food around as I should have even in normal conditions. Still no .45 ammo to go shooting with, but, I was able to get all the food I needed and even a 12pk of my brand of TP and a couple packs of wipes. Stores are finally rationing things as they should have been doing, and there's a lot less evidence of hoarding, so that's good. So, pretty much getting back to normal, plenty of cars and people out there, and it looks like the initial panic hoarding is easing up. I'm not as efficient working from home as the resolution for working remote sucks, so, it makes it hard to do CAD work, but I'll get by and learn to be more efficient. It's taken me a little to get used to having a PC and remoting in etc.. No panic here! I wish the best to all here, and all over the world. We, as a species, will get through this just fine. What does not kill us makes us stronger!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wouldn't think you can't ride the bike as it's a solo vehicle, but you might check. I went food shopping today. Bought a bunch more food than I usually do but I work from home now and all the food I keep at work for lunch I had to buy for home. Plus, this let me know that I really didn't have as much food around as I should have even in normal conditions. Still no .45 ammo to go shooting with, but, I was able to get all the food I needed and even a 12pk of my brand of TP and a couple packs of wipes. Stores are finally rationing things as they should have been doing, and there's a lot less evidence of hoarding, so that's good. So, pretty much getting back to normal, plenty of cars and people out there, and it looks like the initial panic hoarding is easing up. I'm not as efficient working from home as the resolution for working remote sucks, so, it makes it hard to do CAD work, but I'll get by and learn to be more efficient. It's taken me a little to get used to having a PC and remoting in etc.. No panic here! I wish the best to all here, and all over the world. We, as a species, will get through this just fine. What does not kill us makes us stronger!
I’ve been working from home since last Friday. A colleague was pulled over by a police officer and asked where he was going. I’m going into the office tomorrow. We’ve been given a letter by our CEO explaining we work in an ‘essential ‘ business as defined by the governor. We have a large agricultural client base. I just got off my RR for an hour ride to blow out the carbon & quiet the committee in my head. The sun was out. I’m grateful I did. No issues. And a few others taking rides as well. I went for a walk at the park. Others were out. Mostly kept distance & to themselves. I tried to smile whoever looked. Unless it gets worse. If I get another sunny day, I’ll take the gift.

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
We are apparently in lockdown. It's more a case of just staying home and only going out for essential items like food, medical supplies etc. You can go to work still but if you can work from home thats encouraged. The social distancing rules aren't really being followed. People don't really seem to care enough to do them. It's too much of a disruption. People still want to go have coffee on the street and get haircuts. When these restrictions get worse people will implode. Eventually the government is going to need to freeze rent and mortgage payments. All the utilities as well. Half the workforce are already out of work because they work in hospitality.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pretty similar here in the UK...essential travel only, all non essential places closed, hairdressers, coffee shops, Mcds, BK, estate agents, offices, .... .... banks, newsagents, bicycle outlets, supermarkets all open...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,469 Posts
Well the incubation period is 8 to 12 days. So the social interaction you have today could find you on a ventilator in ICU in less than 2 weeks. If you don't care about that possibility, people need to think about their Mum or their Gran. If you infect them with your irresponsible behaviour they will probably die. Especially in countries like Italy where they have already run out of hospital beds, ventilators and other essential supplies.
We are on a "stay home" advisory, schools and nonessential businesses are closed. I'm catching up on home reno stuff as all the bike maintenance is up to date. We can go out to the grocery store or pharmacy to pick up meds, or go to get take away food, but not much else is open. It's great to have wide open roads when I do go out, and I'm looking forward to some long bike rides to pick up meds as soon as the weather warms up a bit. Gas prices are down about 40%, so that's a bonus too.

Benny your situation looks to get pretty dire in a week or so.

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
I'm expecting a full country and economy shutdown. The government will need to pay peoples wages or at least a small percentage and then freeze all rent, mortgage, utilities. People will basically stay home and only buy food only. For the moment they want to avoid this but I think it is necessary to achieve less infections. The longer they hold off, the more people will be in debt. They have offered small payments fortnightly which wouldn't even cover food or rent. They also say we can access our superannuation. That is less than ideal. Business will be forced to close with no certainty that when this is all over they can just resume like normal and reemploy the people who got laid off.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just read the FAQ's on our state's lockdown order...it's pretty clear that riding the RR isn't going to be acceptable to law enforcement. I have no desire to risk a showdown, just because I want to have some fun while some families are just trying to survive this mess.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I'm somewhat reclusive by nature, not going out much, so, this isn't really affecting me at all. I'm glad I got my haircut for my job interview (new position in a different division at the Lab) before the shutdown! If I decide to go out for a ride, I'll simply carry my badge with me if I'm stopped and tell them I'm heading to work. We're very remote here and I doubt I'd ever even get stopped for just being out. I've seen plenty of people out riding Hardley's etc.

Best wishes to those in other areas and countries that are having a tougher time of it!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I'm expecting a full country and economy shutdown. The government will need to pay peoples wages or at least a small percentage and then freeze all rent, mortgage, utilities. People will basically stay home and only buy food only. For the moment they want to avoid this but I think it is necessary to achieve less infections. The longer they hold off, the more people will be in debt. They have offered small payments fortnightly which wouldn't even cover food or rent. They also say we can access our superannuation. That is less than ideal. Business will be forced to close with no certainty that when this is all over they can just resume like normal and reemploy the people who got laid off.
Sorry to hear that bro, I wish y'all down undah the best in getting through this!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just read the FAQ's on our state's lockdown order...it's pretty clear that riding the RR isn't going to be acceptable to law enforcement. I have no desire to risk a showdown, just because I want to have some fun while some families are just trying to survive this mess.
It’s a great point. Yesterday was fine around here - motorcyclists out, police driving with windows down not really messing with anyone. Today, the environment is not quite that way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
#day 2 of lock down in New Zealand .....

Got home just before lock down for 4 weeks (as a start) to be closer/with family as they more important then work. Classes as an "Essential worker" for as I work in power generation I still work during this. Schools closed and school holidays brought forward. Small businesses closed and only essential businesses open (eg. supermarkets,petrol station,Pharmacies and some trade store to workers to complete needed construction ...liqueur store closed,corner dairies closed) - limited some of access to these.

You can walk ya dog down street,fitness walk but keep 2m separation. Police to patrol streets and fine /lock up people breaking the lock down rules. Essential travel by planes & ferry between islands allowed

I have a week off before heading back to work.

Some mortgages is frozen for now, rents still needs to be paid and GOVT will assist with some minor funds for those out of work or in lock down and unble to work

Apart from that missus/partner is doing gardening digging a big rectangular hole, about 6feet deep - wonder whats this for ?? I know we have issues being so long together but she must just be bored.

So ... clean them bikes and keep safe my friend and let beat this virus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Been in lockdown here since Monday. Not much change for me yet. Live in the country so its still seems normal-ish and i usually keep extra stuff so i dont have shop as much but gotta try tomorrow for some milk etc but seeing pics of the local stores probably not getting anything.:mad:

Happy part helping me cope was picking up a new to me bike early this week to transform into my next track bike!! Yeah! Havent torn into it yet as ive finished stripping the old one down to part out so my minds definately on fun stuff! (y)

·
Registered
755 Posts
On March 6, a Tornado swept through Nashville TN, causing a boatload of destruction. Our building was across the street from ground zero. It imploded that building. Our walls stood, but the roof and windows didn't. We had to find a new place, move everything out on a moment's notice, and re set up somewhere else. Now Covid. Hell yes I'm working, I've worked 7 days a week since the tornado hit...

·
Vendor
2,313 Posts
Damn Keith, hope you get that worked out soon and everyone stays save.

Me, I am doing great. Its good people are staying home, but somehow are spending money with me. I done 10 ECU projects just in March. I am installing a low mile engine I had on hand in a 2018 S1000RR that the warranty was voided for having a PC5 on it. Bike only had 7k miles and for some reason snapped the head of a valve and it killed the piston. Lesson learn, dont go to the dealer with a blown engine and PC5 attached. Customer is getting RCK3/HP Power kit enables to go with his Akra full system. Good ole IRS money going to good use.

So I am open and programming if anyone else needs anything.

Myself and 4 others rode Tuesday. Saw 4 popo and not a one even tried to chase us. Because one was sitting on corner exit and I was at 100 at least, and most everyone behind me said they went by him at 90. He must have wanted to maintain social distance.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I would LOVE to go riding, and maybe I could "get away" with it, given our lockdown state. But will I? I guess so, considering the following:

EDIT: To be sure about this I just called our local police department...decided to find out if I "could" ride, after all. They said "yes"...just maintain "social distance". No problem with that!

·
Registered
31 Posts
In Alberta, we aren't on an actual lockdown yet. Most non-essential businesses have closed and anyone who can work from home has been directed to do so. Luckily I fall into the category that can work from home so other than not really leaving the house my day to day hasn't changed much. The weather still isn't nice enough to go riding (hopefully this weekend), but it's really wet out right now with all the snow melting.

My tenants broke their lease early so they could go back home to New Zealand which sucks because I'm sure that trying to find new renters in this environment is going to be difficult... Especially with oil prices right now (Western Canadian Select is trading at $7.20 a barrel right now 🤮). So that's great... my wife and I don't qualify for any government assistance or mortgage relief because we are both still working, which isn't the worst because we have savings we can fall back on.

Also, my wife is 16 weeks pregnant. Thank god her hormones haven't caused her to be moody at all so after 12 days alone in the house together we haven't gotten on each others nerves haha.

Planning for a ride on Sunday, I hope the weather cooperates because I need to get out of my house!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
On March 6, a Tornado swept through Nashville TN, causing a boatload of destruction. Our building was across the street from ground zero. It imploded that building. Our walls stood, but the roof and windows didn't. We had to find a new place, move everything out on a moment's notice, and re set up somewhere else. Now Covid. Hell yes I'm working, I've worked 7 days a week since the tornado hit... View attachment 210420
Holy crap! So sorry to see that, best wishes for you and the business getting through that as well as the virus!

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I would LOVE to go riding, and maybe I could "get away" with it, given our lockdown state. But will I? I guess so, considering the following:

EDIT: To be sure about this I just called our local police department...decided to find out if I "could" ride, after all. They said "yes"...just maintain "social distance". No problem with that!
Yeah, on the nice days here, I saw a bunch of bikes out. Motorcycling IS the ultimate in social distancing!

I have an appointment this afternoon with my surgeon to see about getting both rotator cuffs repaired this year, I'd planned on it for the last couple years and had already put the max into that medical savings account and I'd hate to lose the $2,700 I put into it if they considered my surgeries "elective" and "non-essential" in this time of need. I mean, I'd totally understand it, but I'd want a way to get my $ back. Or, worse, go in for surgery and GET the virus.

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
Stage 3 restrictions here. 4 reasons to leave your house. Supermarket for food, medical reasons, work or exercise. Only aloud to be with people from your household at home and outside. Or 1 other person not from your household. Home loan repayments are being defered by banks for 6 months. Tenants can't be kicked out by landlords both commercial and residential. Private hospitals and public working together as one. Cases have slowed but still doubling each week. Anyone returning from overseas has to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel. Enforced by the government and police. Non negotiable. $1600 on the spot fine for breaching any social distancing laws and groups of people.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts