BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
2017 rr
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this Ducati Panigale V4a and just can't get them out of my mind!!!
I would not sell my RR, but I would just like one in the garage too. I keep looking at the pictures and playing an old Buzzcocks song "In an unguarded moment" over and over.

Next time I'm down in the city I'll have a look at one, and try and find some reason why I shouldn't buy it.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Motorcycle

Registered
2017 rr
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I decided to do some online searches, looking for known issues you know. Dry clutch? And it can glaze and fade. And they are HOT. The RR is never hot, I hate hot bikes!!! It gets up to 38-C here in a SE Queensland in summer and you don't want to be sitting on a bike that adds to that... Hmmm. Yes, they are sexy looking...

Base V4, V4S, V4R, and there is a V4a? What are the differences?

Well I have been entertaining the idea to get a V4 because of engine. 2021+ won multiple superbike shootouts and for the twisties they maybe ideal. I would not want one for the track.
I wonder if Ducati fixed requiring clutch to be bled every 500 miles. They do get hot in traffic, but if moving they should be ok.

Premium Member
Ducati are well known to roast your chestnuts.
Having said that if you want it and can afford it, why the hell not? Can always shove an ice pack down your pants.

Registered
I saw this Ducati Panigale V4a and just can't get them out of my mind!!!
I would not sell my RR, but I would just like one in the garage too. I keep looking at the pictures and playing an old Buzzcocks song "In an unguarded moment" over and over.

Next time I'm down in the city I'll have a look at one, and try and find some reason why I shouldn't buy it.

View attachment 219609
I have a V4R race bike I struggled to do 500klm just running the engine in, the heat is unbearable, I honestly don't know how people ride them on the road in summer.

I have a V4R race bike I struggled to do 500klm just running the engine in, the heat is unbearable, I honestly don't know how people ride them on the road in summer.
Were you wearing leathers? And were you in traffic or free flowing roads?

Jean's and a leather jacket, open road no traffic lights, and was ambient temperature of 22deg.
Ducati was designed to be ridden with leathers. I bet on track with leather suit you don't feel much of the heat.
Has it been reliable for you?

Registered
The V4 is cool and is probably the best performing drivetrain fitted to the panigale platform, but for me, it's the 1299S that does it. That is FOR SURE going to be my next bike to keep my s1000rr company in the garage. 1285ccs of twin torque with very comparable top end to a s1000rr, and no question, the sexiest looking panigale ever made.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Registered
This thing is Sexy, It would be like dating a Super model though. Yeah, shes Hot you can stare at her and you can ride her hard but thats where it ends for me, just to High maintenance!

Registered
My buddy has a V2 that he keeps on my garage, let's me ride, and yes that too makes heat, even WITH the insulation kit that covers the seat, etc. I can't begin to imagine the heat a V4 generates. With that being said, once you're moving, it's a BLAST to ride. I wonder what the V4 would be like. I say get one! A V4 that is...

Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
I started out shopping for a V2. Stopped at one place where they didn't have a V2 but had the SuperSport. Test rode it just for the heck of it. By the end of the test ride (did a mix of freeway and city driving, and surface street driving at about 80F), my right leg was medium/rare. I think the Panigale is the best looking motorcycle out there (that is still commercially available) and probably (imho) the second best looking bike ever (in my lifetime) after the Ducati 916. But when it is 90F+ here in CO, I can't imagine what it will feel to deal with the heat of the engine. So I "settled" for the RR.

Premium Member
I have (and have had) a number of Ducati superbikes. Yes, they can get hot, but so do all liter bikes. As mentined, wear leathers (jeans are useless for crash/slide protection in any event).

The maintenance is no big deal and I have had more warranty issues with my S1000RR than a Ducati.

Ducatis are great bikes.

Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
I have (and have had) a number of Ducati superbikes. Yes, they can get hot, but so do all liter bikes. As mentined, wear leathers (jeans are useless for crash/slide protection in any event).

The maintenance is no big deal and I have had more warranty issues with my S1000RR than a Ducati.

Ducatis are great bikes.
When I purchased my RR, the sales manager told me I would have more warranty issues than with the Ducati (Audi has done a lot of good stuff for Ducati. Sure glad H-D didn't get Ducati). He was being honest. But I don't have a lot of confidence in the local Ducati dealers while BMW dealers here have always treated me right. Sometimes it is better to deal with the devil you know than the devil you don't know. But that Panigale is drop dead gorgeous, imho. I think the RR could look much nicer if BMW had better color choices. Just my $0.02 worth, ymmv. :)

Registered
2017 rr
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I've gone from "Gotta have that!" to "I'll think it over a while..." Maybe I'm just getting fussy in my old age but I don't like the heat factor, I don't like any dramas in fact, not when I'm paying like 30k. I'd certainly have to take one for a looong test ride before I bought in. It is beautiful though :)

Registered
Well I've gone from "Gotta have that!" to "I'll think it over a while..." Maybe I'm just getting fussy in my old age but I don't like the heat factor, I don't like any dramas in fact, not when I'm paying like 30k. I'd certainly have to take one for a looong test ride before I bought in. It is beautiful though :)
Buy a new, leftover HP4 Race and put a plate on it... :)

Reactions: frankinOz
1 - 20 of 21 Posts