BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Haven't been sleeping real well. Healing is coming along slowly.
When I lost my job it was after one of my accidents I was out of work for 16 weeks because of crutches. Came back and they said they no longer needed me. That was 16 weeks with no paycheck only to get fired. I couldn't collect unemployment until I got fired. I thought I still had a job. That sent me into depression and I went almost a year collecting unemployment as I looked for a new job. 6 years ago I found the job I'm at now making more money and I enjoy doing what I do better then my last job.
Don't let this keep you down. Have you posted your resume online? Indeed we use Indeed when we're looking for help at my job. Jobs don't like to see big gaps between jobs on resumes so not to push you but I would act fast even with your wrist in a cast.

I'm just trying to help. You have friends here.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Damn, bro... Sorry to hear this. I'm glad that you weren't more seriously hurt. Lost to many buddies over the years. I'll take broken writs and a smile any day versus the alternative. As for the job, I find it amazing that as employees we are expected to give 2 - 4 weeks notice or its looked down on you but you can be let go at will by the employer. Sorry that you had to go through that. But, if you had to stand up and speak on something that was wrong, and nobody was willing to stand with you, then you may really not have needed to be there. I'm not sure what you do for a living or where you call home, but if you are in the Maryland USA area, my company has IT and software development positions open for cleared folks, if that is your cup of tea. But if not, hopefully, something great soon comes your way.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Holy [email protected] Benny, so sorry to hear this! Is there any legal action that could be taken to force the shop to give you your job back and fire the corrupt people? Maybe contact BMW directly and tell then how things are at the shop? I'm sure they could pull their franchise from the owners if it was something egregious that was against BMW policy.

Best wishes healing up, and finding a BETTER job!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Holy [email protected] Benny, so sorry to hear this! Is there any legal action that could be taken to force the shop to give you your job back and fire the corrupt people? Maybe contact BMW directly and tell then how things are at the shop? I'm sure they could pull their franchise from the owners if it was something egregious that was against BMW policy.

Best wishes healing up, and finding a BETTER job!
Very unlikely. He was on contract which means they can choose not to renew his employment once the contract period expires. They don't need a reason.

The corruption side of things could possibly be looked at but its always hard to prove. Won't help Benny get his job back though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wasn't going to add to this thread because my contribution wouldn't be the norm, but reading endless posts of sorrow there needs to be some clarity. Firstly I'm no angle & have made my own bad decisions in life which I have learned from (I hope) but honestly benny you hit a cow, they don't tend to catch you by surprise like a rabbit, fox, kangaroo, wallaby that can suddenly appear out of scrub etc. So really that misfortune was some very poor decision making on your part engaging warp drive without decent line of sight, I really hope for your families sake you don't make such a poor decision like that again when feeling the need to engage warp drive as you do when owning a s1000rr. As an Australian I'm fully aware of the wildlife factor & have had a number of close calls also when lets say enjoying myself, but benny you hit a cow enough said. On saying that sh%t happens & I hope you heal quickly.
On the job front people with moral character will always find a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just your still on the train at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The road was 100% clear when I started out. The cows became apparent too late for me to do anything about it. They were behind a small rise and in very long grass. They had to climb an embankment to reach the road. The speed did not help the situation. But I would not have been doing that if I had of seen them first. It was a fenced area and these 2 had pushed through the fence and crossed the road. When I arrived they decided to go back across to the herd and through the fence. Being tucked behind the screen also limited my peripheral vision. I am not complaining. I could have been dead or in a wheel chair. I was lucky. These are the dangers of riding on the road which we are all very aware of. I did however manage to hit a gap which saved my life. Rather than hitting one right in the middle. That was by choice.

The job thing just added to what already was a bad start to the year and further dented my mental state. I am not one to get down. I just needed a small moment to process what had happened to me in 4 weeks. I didn't post for sympathy. I used the forum as an outlet to help me process these events.

Thanks for your opinion.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I wasn't going to add to this thread because my contribution wouldn't be the norm, but reading endless posts of sorrow there needs to be some clarity. Firstly I'm no angle & have made my own bad decisions in life which I have learned from (I hope) but honestly benny you hit a cow, they don't tend to catch you by surprise like a rabbit, fox, kangaroo, wallaby that can suddenly appear out of scrub etc. So really that misfortune was some very poor decision making on your part engaging warp drive without decent line of sight, I really hope for your families sake you don't make such a poor decision like that again when feeling the need to engage warp drive as you do when owning a s1000rr. As an Australian I'm fully aware of the wildlife factor & have had a number of close calls also when lets say enjoying myself, but benny you hit a cow enough said. On saying that sh%t happens & I hope you heal quickly.
On the job front people with moral character will always find a light at the end of the tunnel, it's just your still on the train at the moment.
In the part of CT I live in people in cars and sometimes bikes hit deer all the time. Sometimes they just come out of no where.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The road was 100% clear when I started out. The cows became apparent too late for me to do anything about it. They were behind a small rise and in very long grass. They had to climb an embankment to reach the road. The speed did not help the situation. But I would not have been doing that if I had of seen them first. It was a fenced area and these 2 had pushed through the fence and crossed the road. When I arrived they decided to go back across to the herd and through the fence. Being tucked behind the screen also limited my peripheral vision. I am not complaining. I could have been dead or in a wheel chair. I was lucky. These are the dangers of riding on the road which we are all very aware of. I did however manage to hit a gap which saved my life. Rather than hitting one right in the middle. That was by choice.

The job thing just added to what already was a bad start to the year and further dented my mental state. I am not one to get down. I just needed a small moment to process what had happened to me in 4 weeks. I didn't post for sympathy. I used the forum as an outlet to help me process these events.

Thanks for your opinion.
Just to be clear my post is in noway a high horse preaching post especially when the only person that knows what played out is you, it's was more about better thought process of ones actions & the possible outcomes. I smashed 10 ribs & punctured a lung from a poor thought process that involved armco, I still make mistakes I'm human, but I did learn to engage my thought process more than my wrist when riding because of it. Life is a constant learning curve.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hang in there bennymx !!
The "Strong,shall Survive !"
I very sorry for the job loss and hope you will heal quickly and become Stronger as a result of the current circumstances.
Your wit,knowledge and work ethic will carry you to a better work environment.
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP !!!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
You know Benny, I'm sure there are PLENTY of US dealerships that could use an awesome tech like you....probably in NM here even.....just sayin'... :)

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Benny,

I would like to first say I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your job for standing up for whats right. I'm glad you're ok (for the most part) and that you will recover physically from this. You are an amazing source of information and are extremely genuine in your responses when people ask for help. You're also very funny and quick to post good memes to lighten the mood instead of doing what some people or other forums do where they just attack people or make them feel small/stupid for asking questions that may seem like common sense to some. Thank you for being who you are and standing up for what was right. This is something that is hard to find nowadays so thank you for sharing your story and being a positive role model for people. Its unfortunate you were taken for granted and let go for having integrity. You will get better physically and move on to much better things, hopefully still BMW related, but if not then whatever you do you will excel and succeed as a result of who you are and what you stand for!

I'm glad to hear you were able to avoid the cows for the most part unlike the Roo you had an encounter with, and that you limped away from the accident and are still here to share your story. Bikes can be replaced as you're well aware but you cannot be. Get better soon and keep us updated as to how things are going.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So sorry to hear, @bennymx . Life certainly hands some brutal cards to the most undeserving people. How are you going with the job hunt, or is it too soon? Where are you based and what line of work? I wonder if through our Aussie network we can help you get back on your feet.

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So sorry to hear, @bennymx . Life certainly hands some brutal cards to the most undeserving people. How are you going with the job hunt, or is it too soon? Where are you based and what line of work? I wonder if through our Aussie network we can help you get back on your feet.
Thanks for the support but I will be ok.

Glad to see you on the forum daily again. How ya healing/doing?
Yeah cast comes off in a few days time. Looking forward to that.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
As a charter member of the so-called "<10K Club", I want to thank you, Benny, for the reminder of why I belong to that group of wimpy riders. :oops: I'm really sorry for your situation though.

Things like this bring to mind an admonition I read in a riding technique book a long time ago. It said - basically - never ride at a speed that won't allow you to stop within your "sight distance". Taking a hill at WOT in 6th gear tells me you were doing in excess of 150 mph...to a blind hill. The odds are against you in cases like this. I don't bring this up to chastise you for what you did, but reading past posts of yours, I wondered how long it would be before riding at the limit and eating up tires in a few rides would come up against certain physical realities.

Heal well, and heal soon...and best wishes for your employment future. And thanks for the reminder to "expect the unexpected". You're still a valuable contributor to the body of "RR knowledge" and I'll look forward to more of your posts in the future. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
So. 2020 did not start well for me. At this point I wish I could start over. It is 3am going on 4am as I write this. I have not slept for 24 hours. You get my current mental state.

I received my new K67 at the start of January. I was very excited. I had waited quite a while. It was also my birthday in January. A good birthday present. I ran it in quickly and did 2 local twisty runs. Just day rides. I then decided to do a quick over night trip with a friend interstate. The bike was 3 weeks old with around 2000kms. All my accessories fitted. We rode for a day and did around maybe 400 or 500kms. Then stayed in a small town and had dinner at a local pub. The next day we started on our way back home. This was the first time we had been back to these areas after the fires. The roads literally opened the weekend we decided to go. About 2 hours into the ride. I was riding down a long straight piece of road with a clear line of sight. I decided to open her up. Head in the dash and tucked in. Top end of 6th WOT. You get the idea. Then from no where. 2 cows run onto the road. I had no where to go and no time to do anything at that speed. I'm staring at 2 cows blocking the whole road while hurtling toward them. I sat up and grabbed the front brake. The rear started to lift immediately. I let off the brake to bring it back down. I then had to make a judgement call. Aim for the gap between the 2 cows. Or hit one straight in the middle. I managed to hit the gap. Hitting 1 cow in the head with my left leg and the bike. Narrowly missing the other cows a$$. I managed to stay on the bike and came out the other side still on the bike. The line I took to hit the gap meant I ended up in the ditch on the side of the road. I stayed on for a while until the front eventually washed out on the grass. I slid a long while holding onto the bike. Once I stopped. I got up and had a look around. The cow was dead. My bike badly damaged. My left leg and ankle were throbbing and my right wrist felt very sore with no use of my right hand at all. I limped off the road. My friend eventually arrived to see what had happened. After this I got a ride back into town about 10 mins back down the road. I then waited for 4 hours for my brother to pick me up with the bike as well. We then drove 4 hours to my dads house to drop the bike off. Then my wife drove me back home to a hospital about 3 hours later. They did xrays on my wrist and ankle. No breaks or fractures. Just bruising. Also bruised ribs and a lot of whiplash. I rested at home for 2 weeks thinking I would be ok. I then went to see a doctor for a check up. He recommended I get a CT scan as small fractures in the wrist will not show. Turned out to be a broken wrist. Plaster cast for 6 weeks. Currently 1 week into that now. I also think i have a fractured ankle and toe as they still feel very sore. I will need to get them checked. The bike has been written off. None available for 4 months.

This was already bad enough. Coupled with some very expensive bills that were not planned for and not known about. Money was and is an issue.

I then was called into work for a meeting regarding some normal procedures. Nothing out of the ordinary. My wife had to drive me in as I cannot drive. I have now been told I do not have a job. Due to me being on a contract that is renewed every year. They can chose not to renew. With no reason given. They did not provide one. 4 years of my absolute heart and soul into this job. It is my life. As most of you know. To then be told that you are no longer wanted and given no reason. It really hurts. I am however actually aware of why this decision was made. It involves some very corrupt behavior and breach of policy. That I called out and blew the whistle on. No one supported me in this movement. I did it alone. Mean while the offenders get off with nothing and I now have no job. I am not the sort of person to just let things happen that are completely wrong. I will stand up to anyone even if it means losing my job. I do not regret what I did. Unfortunately this is what happens in big business. They want people who will just do as their told and look the other way.

A new chapter is born. We shall see what it brings.

I love this forum. I love you guys. Thank you for your kind words over the years.
Man, I really appreciate your perspective & needed to hear that. I’m in a similar situation. I’ve made my points made in a most emphatic & kinda profane way. Don’t know if I will be out of a job. But I have a clear conscious & an RR to take me elsewhere when bullsh*t gets to deep. All the best to you in your next chapter. Keep keepin on.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts