BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......and not have to turn around and scream, LOL.

Ok, I’ve got a K1600 GTL sport tourer and the RR.....the wife gets on both bikes and trusts my 62 year old self to zip her around.

I need a coms system....but don’t need the best, or long-distance ability, or for a pack of riders.

What am I looking for? Sena? Cardo? Model(s)? What, if any, level of Bluetooth technologies are outdated or a headache to maintain communication? By going “cheaper” or “older” am I getting comparatively poor quality? Or they all work for simple rider/pillion talk? :confused:

I’ll be researching, but thanks for any help! :cool:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Another vote for sena, mine is still the old one, the smh10, if I had to get one today I’d go with the new one, but after 4 years mine (and many others that I know) has worked flawless, except one who we believe his helmet causes some noise issues, therefore recommended the newer one.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've had the base Sena version, uncertain of the model but its like $110 new or less if you shop and it works great if you stay within 6-10 feet of the bike and then loses quality. However its been great for music, phone calls, battery isn't bad and would be great for 2 up, not so good for riding with friends on separate bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife & I use the Cardo Packtalk in DMC mode. So easy and completely hands-free! Cardo is supposed to announce some type of collaboration with JBL speakers next month.

·
4,640 Posts
If you and wife have phones with bluetooth/wifi and earbuds. Many apps that can use either medium to communicate. Something like Intercom for Android or IOS would be perfect. Pair the devices, done! No need to buy any Sena.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you and wife have phones with bluetooth/wifi and earbuds. Many apps that can use either medium to communicate. Something like Intercom for Android or IOS would be perfect. Pair the devices, done! No need to buy any Sena.

Interesting....what is used for a microphone? :confused:

·
4,640 Posts
earbuds that have built in microphone. Wired or wireless.

·
Registered
507 Posts
SENA 3S. I don't do group rides or anything like that so don't need the other bigger SENAs. I just use my simple SENA to talk with the girl on the back and that's what it does. Made just for that. Cheaper than others and super duper small!! :)

·
4,640 Posts
Everyone has different experiences with Sena. In your case why bother with extra hardware, charging, mounts, etc.... when you can get the job with a phone and earbuds. That's just me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 Cardo Packtalk DMC mode. I like the fact you can purchase extra bases for multiple helmets and quickly move the unit. Also 100% waterproof been caught in multiple downpours. Works great when she is riding pillion or on her own bike.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Another vote for Sena here. I picked up a 20S in 2015 for a trip, mostly because I wanted to use earphones rather than earplugs+speakers, Senas aren't perfect but they're far and away the best solution for what you want to do. You'll probably be happy with any of the Sena models (unless there's a model that has a specific feature you're after).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a Sena 20S is it works great to talk to my friends.

But for your application a Chatterbox would be a good solution. you would only need 1 module, and 2 headsets. The module would be on your helmet, and your wife would plug her headset wire into your module.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Sena 20S is it works great to talk to my friends.

But for your application a Chatterbox would be a good solution. you would only need 1 module, and 2 headsets. The module would be on your helmet, and your wife would plug her headset wire into your module.

Funny you mention Chatterbox. I bought one about 15 years ago, but our group was dismantling and I never got to use it.....returned it unopened. I was trying to remember the name of that....

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I think z00 has a smart idea there . . . so I looked up Google Play and saw this:

Intercom for Android

comment
Husband and I ride and we've been toying with the idea to buy walkie talkie pieces for the helmets or something so we can talk as we drive (both wear full face shield helmets), and this is so much simpler, cheaper, and exactly what we wanted.

We can each play our own music app and it keeps playing while the intercom is on, but he doesn't hear mine and vice versa. We don't have to yell, we love it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you both have modern phones it seems to be great.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think z00 has a smart idea there . . . so I looked up Google Play and saw this:

Intercom for Android

comment
Husband and I ride and we've been toying with the idea to buy walkie talkie pieces for the helmets or something so we can talk as we drive (both wear full face shield helmets), and this is so much simpler, cheaper, and exactly what we wanted.

We can each play our own music app and it keeps playing while the intercom is on, but he doesn't hear mine and vice versa. We don't have to yell, we love it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you both have modern phones it seems to be great.

What do you do with the in-line mic of your headphones? There's no way you can hear anything at >30 mph due to wind noise from the other person.

·
4,640 Posts
Modern headsets (wired and wireless) are small enough to stay on ears. Mic wire can be tucked under helmet liner and end exposed. I know this works because I used it before. Sena uses something similar anyway. Some bluetooth earbuds have mic built int, so no need to route anything. Best to take helmets, go to electronics shop, try hardware on, place a call handsfree with helmet on, if that works, then use an app as mentioned.

Or since women like to talk, wife can have the mic, rider can listen with only earbuds no mic >:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts