BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
6,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@CYCLE_MONKEY Yep, yep and yep. Forged, DDC and Motorsport colours. I may buy it back. Not all that fussed if I don't. I was braking from maybe 80-90km/h on approach. Hit it with some speed. But already under brakes. I ride to work in the dark morning and night. It comes with where I live.
@z00 Rode for maybe 20 mins. Bike was fine. Kept the speed up and it was a cold night. Rad was damaged but not enough to cause over heating.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Love those radiator guards, protection against 'roo strikes.
LOL He should get a set of the massive ones the long-haul truckers up in MT and WY use! In titanium, of course! :)

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hitting things head on like that is never fun. Luckily (and skillfully?) you made it out in one piece. I'm impressed that the bike was rideable, says alot about the bike I think.

Did the instrument cluster even throw any errors? Like "hey you just hit something. chkbke"

·
Administrator
6,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
In a way. I think being on the small low down RR helped. I ride the whole range very consistently but as it was Friday I normally ride my bike home so I can go for a fang on the weekend. Most of it was luck. But I did everything I thought was right at the time. I think on a bigger bike. It would of got stuck around the forks or possibly gone underneath the bike. I always thought the RR was the worst option for animal hunting. In this situation I think it helped.

@dochp no errors at all. Snapped the front fairing bracket. Dash and screen were fine. I caught it as it crouched down prepairing for a jump. If I hit it mid hop, it would of jumped over the screen, over the tank and wiped me out. Clean in the face.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Hey @bennymx I echo everyone's sentiments about you being okay. This may very well be a blessing in disguise. My guess is you would have owned that bike until the wheels fell off. Why would I say that? Your reference to the Queen's reaction. Your words not mine. She would probably be happier if you didn't ride? Hope you love your 2016 or 2017 if you wait for the next model year. Can't picture you doing that. :surprise:

Animal strikes are no fun. A friend of a friend hit a deer on my favorite road in similar conditions. He stayed upright with minimal damage to the deer. Deer spun around 360 and ran off. The bike had a broken fairing.

I caught a bird at about 65 mph between corners square in the face shield. Blood everywhere. I stayed upright but my neck was sore for at least a week. :(

·
Administrator
6,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@wfo439 The Queen is not fond of the dangers involved with riding motorcycles. I do not help the cause in any way lol. It's a lot of why I ride, the danger. I would of kept that bike until it expired. I will be getting a 16. I couldn't wait for 15 when I got my 14 lol. I need to ride. It's been a few weeks and I can't deal with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Glad your ok Benny. Hell of a way to get a new bike.
A bloke/guy i work with hit a roo in Doreen way a couple months back on the way to work on his ninja. It was on the hop (up). It took out his nose fairing and windscreen, collided with his shoulder and he stayed upright and made it into work with a heart rate of 200 bpm. He still had fur and the marks on his jacket to prove it.

I often start my rides up your way and takes me 40 minutes to get there before i can even start to have some fun. I wish i could just jump straight onto the twisties from home but according to my wife, that's not a good enough reason to move.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Great story. I could relate as I drove over there one day and wow roos all over at the side of the road. Story is a good start to a book of short stories.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great/sobering story. Glad to know you are alright and are getting right back to riding. Don't know who I would pester with all my bike related questions if something happened to ya. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
You're a Lucky SOB !

Glad you are Otaye !

But,a Man has to do,what a Man has to do.

Get back on the bike and Ride !
We assume the risk of riding and we are better because of it.
Managing risk is what we do best on the Road or the Track.

It beats playing Pokemon on your wireless device.

Ride Hard,Ride Fast,Ride Safe

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
A moment of silence please for Benny's bike who so willingly gave it's life to protect him to ride another day.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts