BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm glad to see Harley doing something that isn't a cruiser. There brand is slowly dying because there are way better options available.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad to see Harley doing something that isn't a cruiser. There brand is slowly dying because there are way better options available.
I see this killing off the brand. SRSLY...

They have always seemed to completely miss the mark every time they try something. The Buell's were flops despite there being a few guys who loved them. The V-Rod still soldiers on, and is IMO the best "Harley", though it's a Porsche engine, but the "Faithful" shun even that. I'll predict the "Faithful" (and pretty much everyone else) will shun this. What they should have done is work with a real ADV manufacturer and made something not hideous, and not heavy as a boat anchor.

I'll put money on the fact that this will be a huge flop, at a time when Hardley can ill afford to spend the development money. Indian seems to be able to come out with fresh ideas that work, why can't Hardley?

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
220 Posts
From the side it does not look so bad, imho. Almost looks like a rally bike. Maybe if they went for a 450cc (whatever that is in cubic inches) it could be kind of a cool beginner ralley bike. But the front. Holy macaroni. I don't normally like the use of focus groups, but they should have done some focus groups for the front. What is the demographic group targeted? The blind? Just my $0.02 worth. ymmv.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the side it does not look so bad, imho. Almost looks like a ralley bike. Maybe if they went for a 450cc (whatever that is in cubic inches) it could be kind of a cool beginner ralley bike. But the front. Holy macaroni. I don't normally like the use of focus groups, but they should have done some focus groups for the front. What is the demographic group targeted? The blind? Just my $0.02 worth. ymmv.
HD's focus group consisted of Helen Keller, José Feliciano, Ray Charles, and Stevie Wonder... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
220 Posts
Well, let me think this over. Maybe it would look better if they installed leather tassels on the bar ends? Probably an option.

I wish HD well. The more bikes the better. Saw the bike at a 2019 motorcycle show and don't remember it looking that way. I mean, it looks like a robot from a 1950's sci-fi movie.

At that price, they are wanting to compete against BMW, KTM, and maybe Ducati? Maybe a more modest start?

·
Registered
103 Posts
From the side it does not look so bad, imho. Almost looks like a ralley bike. Maybe if they went for a 450cc (whatever that is in cubic inches) it could be kind of a cool beginner ralley bike. But the front. Holy macaroni. I don't normally like the use of focus groups, but they should have done some focus groups for the front. What is the demographic group targeted? The blind? Just my $0.02 worth. ymmv.
I actually looked at the photos and thought it looked ok but i just went back and looked at one from the front, WTF no wonder the article only had one picture front on!

·
Registered
332 Posts
I personally don't mind the looks. I've actually never seen an ADV bike and thought it looks good. At 500 lbs and 150 hp is not far off the competition. The self-lowering suspension is interesting, but I am not sure of its practicality; for ADV bike, it is waddling up a muddy hill where lower height would help, less so at a traffic light.

I am happy to see Harley doing something new and wish them well.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've actually never seen an ADV bike and thought it looks good.
You don't think ANY of them look good? I think the GS's are pretty fugly, especially the models with "Forrest Whittaker eyes", but not even the KTM's, some of which just look like dirtbikes?

C'mon now, that Hardley is fugly as sin...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ok, maybe the KTM looks better. I am very much indifferent, though, to either of the ADVs. I like sport bikes with flowing lines, where form accentuates function. Bobbers, choppers, monkey bars, stretchers etc. however I find painful to look at. The Harley is much less bad than those.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I personally don't mind the looks. I've actually never seen an ADV bike and thought it looks good. At 500 lbs and 150 hp is not far off the competition.
Not that I know much about adventure bikes, but 500lbs strikes me as relatively light for one of them. How does that compare to the GS, etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts