BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you have a 2017 RR, with 22,000 miles on it. Let's say the bike is in mint condition, with 18,000-mile service done, has new M9 RR tires on it, just had another oil service and annual inspection, runs like a turbine and is virtually perfect in all respects. All indicated BMW services completed on schedule. Never raced, never redlined, never wheelied...almost all canyon riding at moderately brisk pace. Mods include tall tinted BMW screen, Akra GP slip-on, Heli bars, Yosh tail tidy...no other mods. Let's say you don't want to go to the trouble of selling it, but you want a new bike. What dealer trade-in figure would you accept, and below which you'd rather keep your bike?

Just curious, as I'm contemplating this and I suspect the dealer will offer a ridiculously-low trade value. I want to know what your reaction would be, and what would you do. Right now I'm thinking (a) keep the RR, or (b) buy the new bike outright and keep the RR, too. The new bike is a sport-touring bike, for more comfort and luggage, for those long treks.

Thanks in advance for your input!

· Registered
205 Posts
Answer is simple, if you can afford both then keep both, nothing better than having two bikes with different missions. Before you automatically assume the dealership is going to low ball you take it to the dealership and see what they say, if it's a good offer take it, if it's a low ball offer walk. I've traded several bikes in and always received a fair trade-in value from the dealership so all of them aren't trying to take advantage of you. You can go to cycle trader and see what other bikes similar to yours with similar miles and condition and see what they are selling for and then subtract 15% to get an idea of trade-in value or checkout NADA for a ball park figure.

7,509 Posts
Keep both, one touring, one sport riding. If you don't think you will ride both enough, then sell RR. You can always put it on FB marketplace for a good price (will still be more than what dealership will offer you), only respond to serious buyers.

Reactions: flyryder

· Registered
7 Posts
If you go the FB marketplace route be prepared for a daily episode of 'WTF?' your own personal sitcom.

I sell a couple bikes a year and while I enjoy communicating with the bizarre characters that live in the world of FB it's not for everyone.

My brother gave up after 3 days and took his bike to a consignment shop (which promptly sold it within 48 hours).

· Registered
452 Posts
When I was going through the motions of purchasing my RR last year, I went through my dealer to get a trade value. At the time the listings I saw on Cycle Trader for equivalent 848s were around $7k to 8k. I figured $6k would be a good trade in value. Dealer came back with an initial estimate before physically inspecting the bike at $1200. To say I was stunned was an understatement. I talked to a good friend of mine about the low ball trade in value and he said he would ask around. Within an hour, he came back and said he thinks he has a buyer. Turns out he has a friend that was interested in getting into a sport bike. Another hour later and some discussion, I was wired $4500.

· Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Still up in the air, but leaning toward just keeping the RR. I'll never get what it's worth on a trade, and I don't want to go the online-selling route and deal with strangers. Could consign it...there's a shop here that does that and seems to get good results. Anyway...thanks again.

· Registered
216 Posts
I would keep it. Going to be hard to sell a bike with 22k miles on it. Not impossible, but would probably have to be someone you know that knows you have taken care of the bike.
But the market is also changing. Dealers now have inventory again.
What do YOU think its worth?

· Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's an awesome bike...has been from day 1. Keeping it another year makes sense. Before putting it up for the winter, I had a complete service done and new tires (M9 RR's) installed. That means I don't likely need another service until the end of the riding season. So, yeah...trading the bike now doesn't seem the thing to do, but the input from you guys has been welcome...thanks.

· Registered
1,229 Posts
Figure the low mile versions of yours will fetch 2-3k more for the sale(whatever that number seems to be these days $12-13k), and the service records will show it was properly maintained and not ridden like many of these drag bikes/thrashed street bikes. I'd vote to keep it, value is most likely near its rock bottom if you looked back at the gen1 bikes that were well maintained.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
KBB value is 15K for a trade in. That’s probably too high. JDPower has low retail at 11k and average of 14k. You try to trade it in and dealer will offer you 2/3k below 11k. If it were my bike I’d keep it or split the difference between 11k and 14k.

Reactions: flyryder

· Registered
216 Posts
KBB value is 15K for a trade in. That’s probably too high. JDPower has low retail at 11k and average of 14k. You try to trade it in and dealer will offer you 2/3k below 11k. If it were my bike I’d keep it or split the difference between 11k and 14k.
I'm shocked by this number to be honest, so much I had to look it up and low and behold that is what KBB says!!!! But it also says retail is 19k for the same bike and nowhere on this planet is anyone selling a 2017 for 19k. Their MC data seems to be lacking as I looked up my 21's value and they don't even have it listed.
If I had to guess, I would guess what Xtremsiege2 said with lower mileage bikes selling around 12-13k....I would guess one with 22k miles would be worth 8-9k to the general public and dealer would probably offer you 5-6k on trade. But...there's a buyer for everything these days so who knows until you try!

· Registered
666 Posts
It's an awesome bike...has been from day 1. Keeping it another year makes sense. Before putting it up for the winter, I had a complete service done and new tires (M9 RR's) installed. That means I don't likely need another service until the end of the riding season. So, yeah...trading the bike now doesn't seem the thing to do, but the input from you guys has been welcome...thanks.
From some of your previous posts, I see you're interested in the Ninja 1000SX. Have you ridden one? I'm also very curious about that bike as well as the Suzuki GSX - S1000 GT+. I'd probably keep my '15 S1000RR (at first anyway) but from what I've read, the Kawi and the Zook offer real, more versatile alternatives.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
I'm shocked by this number to be honest, so much I had to look it up and low and behold that is what KBB says!!!! But it also says retail is 19k for the same bike and nowhere on this planet is anyone selling a 2017 for 19k. Their MC data seems to be lacking as I looked up my 21's value and they don't even have it listed.
If I had to guess, I would guess what Xtremsiege2 said with lower mileage bikes selling around 12-13k....I would guess one with 22k miles would be worth 8-9k to the general public and dealer would probably offer you 5-6k on trade. But...there's a buyer for everything these days so who knows until you try!
I think 8-9k is the floor for just about any modern liter bike. Yes the dealer will try to buy it from you at 5k, but that bike goes on the dealers showroom floor for 12k or higher, and sells above 10k.

Check CycleTrader to see what’s being offered.

Don’t give your motorcycle away. If you can be patient, and have a reasonable price, you will get at least 12k for it.

Reactions: Windyrun

· Registered
3,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From some of your previous posts, I see you're interested in the Ninja 1000SX. Have you ridden one? I'm also very curious about that bike as well as the Suzuki GSX - S1000 GT+. I'd probably keep my '15 S1000RR (at first anyway) but from what I've read, the Kawi and the Zook offer real, more versatile alternatives.
I have not ridden either, but they do seem like nice combos of sport and comfort. However, they lack some of the refinements of the BMW, which would take some "lowering of expectations".

· Registered
363 Posts
You're not going to like the trade in value from a dealer. What you get is a hassle free way to get rid of your bike. No looky loos who aren't really interested, no one saying they're coming over and they don't show up. no insulting low ballers, no responding to emails all day about "is it still available".

It depends on how much time/effort you want to put into a private sale to get top dollar vs just giving to the dealer and waving good-bye.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts