BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took [email protected] up the front side of Hwy 9 after work yesterday for a quick relaxing ride up to 4 corners...NOT.

It is sad to see Hwy 9 has become a shitty road. I am guessing there have been too many big construction vehicles that it made a lot of ripples and bumps all over the place. :(

Haven't gone on the back side yet hopefully it is better.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I spent from 1995 (When I got my first CBR900RR) to 2004 riding Highway 9, 84, up to Alices cafe, etc. Lots of fond memories of smooth twisties in that area.(San Jose native, moved up to Seattle in 2004) Was back there about 2 months for work and took a rental car up there. Noticed the road was in pretty bad shape but it looked like a lot of recent landslides etc had caused most the damaged albeit the trucks to repair those slides most likely had a lot to do with it.

That is about the only thing in the bay area I miss, some of the year round riding and roads. Now its mostly must just rack days for me.

·
4,640 Posts
One of the few things I miss about Bay Area. That road was always under construction (section from gas station going uphill and around four corners). I can imagine it only getting worse. I lived 10min away from it. Some awesome memories, not very awesome tickets.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to admit I haven't been on 9 since November and I live only 15 minutes away. I tried to avoid 9 during the weekend since there have been to many sketchy riders but seriously 9 has been going downhill for a while. It was only from the past rains that helped accelerate the deterioration.

I also heard Mines Road also took a bit of turn while Del Puerto Canyon Rd really took a sh*t.

·
4,640 Posts
Looks like most of good riding roads in NoCal took a $hit. Time to move out man lol

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Looks like most of good riding roads in NoCal took a $hit. Time to move out man lol

Nah! He just needs to add a sumo to the mix for what are now paved motocross tracks. :laugh: I'm trailering my KTM down to SJ for a Hamilton/ dinner ride on the 20th. Damn 500 thumper vibrates so much it bothers you even on short rides if not WFO. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Not only have the road conditions worsened over the last few years—the increase in LEO presence has increased as well in in North Bay, Berryessa, and obviously Alice's. If you're heading up towards the Berryessa area and like to partake in passing on double yellows beware the aircraft patrolling since the few double yellow-passing related deaths recently.

I've been increasing my track day visits as a result. >:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also heard Mines Road also took a bit of turn while Del Puerto Canyon Rd really took a sh*t.

Last time I road mines, it had just been re-pee graveled and was a mess. Only the Road from the Junction out to Patterson or to the top Hamilton was decent.

All this talk is making me yearn for a street ride! :nerd:

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it looks like the most favorable road to date is Hwy 25 towards Coalinga.

On the other forums there have been talk of increased patrols on 35 at Alice's/STP area.

Not sure about The Junction but I may run that route soon from Mt. Hamilton.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well it looks like the most favorable road to date is Hwy 25 towards Coalinga.

On the other forums there have been talk of increased patrols on 35 at Alice's/STP area.

Not sure about The Junction but I may run that route soon from Mt. Hamilton.

Oh man, forgot about 25 to Coalinga! That is one long day of 350+ miles of twisties for a there and back run when we did it way back when...

One of the dumbest rides I ever did was on that ride. As you near Holister on the way back there is a long straight stretch that me and 2 riding pals all sort of looked at each other, it was on. Who could go the fastest the longest. One guy on an older R1, another on a GSXR750 and me on an RC51. Indicated 175mph on my stock rc51 (yes I know the speedometer error factor and actual speed was probably closer to 165mph at best :nerd:) was the fasted indicated speed I have ever seen to this day. No one really won as we were all basically neck and neck the whole time before we finally backed off. Exciting at the time but foolish looking back on it.

Pics from that day way back when in 200X....
(yes those "barney" colored leathers are horrible, but they did match my 1995CBR900RR when I bought them :D)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Took [email protected] up the front side of Hwy 9 after work yesterday for a quick relaxing ride up to 4 corners...NOT.

It is sad to see Hwy 9 has become a shitty road. I am guessing there have been too many big construction vehicles that it made a lot of ripples and bumps all over the place. :(

Haven't gone on the back side yet hopefully it is better.

Reviving a not so old thread to ask if someone did hwy 9 recently and how's the latest road condition - worth a ride?

Honestly, per my experience last Saturday, 84 all the way from 280 to hwy 1 is not in a bad condition.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh man, forgot about 25 to Coalinga! That is one long day of 350+ miles of twisties for a there and back run when we did it way back when...

One of the dumbest rides I ever did was on that ride. As you near Holister on the way back there is a long straight stretch that me and 2 riding pals all sort of looked at each other, it was on. Who could go the fastest the longest. )
While visiting for MOTOGP back in 07 we did the same thing..... 189 indicated on my 05 ZX10R...... and sustained! That's a long damn road!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't know about 9, but we did Berryessa this weekend and it was pretty decent.
Even the Sheriffs didn't bat an eye at us....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Reviving a not so old thread to ask if someone did hwy 9 recently and how's the latest road condition - worth a ride?

Honestly, per my experience last Saturday, 84 all the way from 280 to hwy 1 is not in a bad condition.

I did 35/9 about 2 weeks ago in a car while down there for business. Wanted to see if there were any bikes out. it was like a Ghost town though it was a Wednesday evening. the roads were nice and clear including 9 from 4 corners down to Los Gatos/Saratoga.

·
Registered
85 Posts
9, 84, etc. are all perfect right now and have been for last 3 weeks. I've been up mornings the last 3 weekends and cant complain :) We should meet up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts