BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear members,

Its been a while since I logged in and contributed, I have however been reading alot.

Something that I am unable to find is a fellow HP4 rider who has Racekit2 installed.

I have emailed Alpharacing germany and got mixed replies of items that I can purchase so I thought Id ask around here.

Bike: HP4 Euro spec 2014 with Akra link pipe, 2nd air system removed, block off plates installed, Sprint P08 filter, NGK racing spark plugs, alpha quick throttle and different sprockets, thats it for performance mods, engine and ECU are stock Euro HP4.

What do I need to get the Racekit2 inorder for me to play with the BMW software and change all types of variables of my bike on the laptop includding making my own map on the dyno?

From what I know, my original ECU is already the Race Ecu and all I need to do is unlock it. Can anyone confirm? Orrr do I need the Race Ecu and Unlock code?

Thanks a million

·
Registered
500 Posts
Dear members,

Its been a while since I logged in and contributed, I have however been reading alot.

Something that I am unable to find is a fellow HP4 rider who has Racekit2 installed.

I have emailed Alpharacing germany and got mixed replies of items that I can purchase so I thought Id ask around here.

Bike: HP4 Euro spec 2014 with Akra link pipe, 2nd air system removed, block off plates installed, Sprint P08 filter, NGK racing spark plugs, alpha quick throttle and different sprockets, thats it for performance mods, engine and ECU are stock Euro HP4.

What do I need to get the Racekit2 inorder for me to play with the BMW software and change all types of variables of my bike on the laptop includding making my own map on the dyno?

From what I know, my original ECU is already the Race Ecu and all I need to do is unlock it. Can anyone confirm? Orrr do I need the Race Ecu and Unlock code?

Thanks a million
You won't like this answer but.......

Best place for you to go is an HP certified BMW dealer. There are companies out there that claim to be able to do this outside of the BMW umbrella but check their reputations first. Many of them have bricked customers bikes during flashes and then shrugged and left their customers to deal with the result. Or sold them codes that don't work and lots of other douchebaggery.

I have the full power kit on my 2013 S1000RR. It's WELL worth the entry price. You get more power but even more important than the power is how much the race ECU free's you from the intrusion of the traction control system.

Here's a good video about the HP parts available for the Gen2 and later bikes.

One other thing. A lot of "tune" companies claim to be able to make bikes even more powerful and some even claim to enhance DTC. How many of them are testing in World Superbike like BMW is? None.

·
Vendor
2,202 Posts
I do like RChase answer.. However I am in for the win on unlocks.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Dear members,

Thanks a million
Hi,

so I have 2014 HP4 Comp. European spec here in New Zealand.

On European spec bikes you can use RCK2 without having raceECU installed and enabled, doesn't work with US spec bikes. Is it useful to run RCK2 against stock ECU: when you want to change tyres and DTC then NO.

We don't have a raceECU installed nor can our OEM ECU been made to a raceECU - that is only valid for 2015+ bikes, they only need enabling code. We need a second ECU for that, don't ask me why :wink2:
I'm not talking here about flashing etc, of course you can reprogram your OEM ECU to race ECU only your dealer get :surprise: when he tries to connect your bike to BMW computer...that's a different story, talking about the offical way here 0:)

So you need 4 items:
- raceECU: well it's an empty ECU actually
- raceECU enabling Code: this code gives the BMW dealer the possibility to connect your bike to the German host computer to load the race ECU data onto you ECU. Only after this your bike will actually work again.
- RCK2 Kit: this ist the USB <->Service plug cable to connect the included software to your computer so you can fiddle around with your settings.
- RCK2 Kit enabling code: to be able to connect to your raceECU your BMW needs this code also to connect your ECU to the German host computer to activate this.

That's it.

Here are the 4 item numbers of alphaRacing:
- raceECU: 13618523966-01 https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_cvs_info&cPath=1_44_66&products_id=11250&zenid=8cofrjt3f4ql0rea6s4hereo8lgk8mnl&cPath=1_44_66&
- raceECU enabling Code: 13618522450-01 https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_cvs_info&cPath=1_44_66&products_id=9383&zenid=8cofrjt3f4ql0rea6s4hereo8lgk8mnl&cPath=1_44_66&
- RCK2 Kit: 77538544507-01 https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_cvs_info&cPath=1_44_66&products_id=13780&zenid=8cofrjt3f4ql0rea6s4hereo8lgk8mnl&cPath=1_44_66&
- RCK2 Kit enabling code: 13618542056-01 https://shop.alpharacing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_cvs_info&cPath=1_44_66&products_id=13781&zenid=8cofrjt3f4ql0rea6s4hereo8lgk8mnl&cPath=1_44_66&

Swap the ECU only and trailer your bike to the dealer with the 2 codes on a USB stick, pay few hundred $ labour to do the activation and have fun.
If you want to buy these items from alphaRacing in Germany, drop me a pm, I can hook you up with a dealer to do so. I think from US you can't order directly from alphaRacing Germany.....

·
Vendor
2,202 Posts
You know. I might be "go to the dealer" on this but. I'm putting BMW_388 in my Rolodex "just in case" :)
Most likely can save you some coin ...

The unlock per say does not work that way at all like so many post. The code does not exist in the ECU that gets 'unlocked' .. the code is provided by the BMWAG office and that code is done the order comes in for it. It is dated and checksumed to that date and VIN. what it looks like is the pic .. alot of hex that is added to the ECU. The reason there is a different ECU from USA to ECE is the code structure for adding this code. it resides at a location that was not designed in the early ECU's and so BMWAG just issued a new ECU to resolve this coding issue. BMSK vs BMSKP .. So the date on this RCK2 code is January 09 2014. it was put in Z03???? .. ( protect my code ) the APP ID for RCK2/3 is 000E0001 which is what is lacking in the USA BMSK early ECU. I studied this all extensively and have a computer degree to back it up.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Most likely can save you some coin ...

The unlock per say does not work that way at all like so many post. The code does not exist in the ECU that gets 'unlocked' .. the code is provided by the BMWAG office and that code is done the order comes in for it. It is dated and checksumed to that date and VIN. what it looks like is the pic .. alot of hex that is added to the ECU. The reason there is a different ECU from USA to ECE is the code structure for adding this code. it resides at a location that was not designed in the early ECU's and so BMWAG just issued a new ECU to resolve this coding issue. BMSK vs BMSKP .. So the date on this RCK2 code is January 09 2014. it was put in Z03???? .. ( protect my code ) the APP ID for RCK2/3 is 000E0001 which is what is lacking in the USA BMSK early ECU. I studied this all extensively and have a computer degree to back it up.

So what's that telling us: they need your VIN to generate this code, it's linked to your VIN obviuously and it has a timestamp. But it's not limited in time until when you do this activation :nerd:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do like RChase answer.. However I am in for the win on unlocks.

This man has the answers. Sorted me out with the full kit. No issues and I had him clone my OEM hardware so I have a race setup andstock setup.
So I'm getting mixed replies again lol, when you buy new ecu and get all unlock codes you will also be getting a BMW race map right?

So if I just unlock my ecu how to get this map?

·
Vendor
2,202 Posts
So I'm getting mixed replies again lol, when you buy new ecu and get all unlock codes you will also be getting a BMW race map right?

So if I just unlock my ecu how to get this map?
No, BMWAG does not provide race maps with the installation of RCK2/3 nor HP Power Kit. People like me, or Alpha, have the WSBK maps that are added in with the addition of installation of RCK2/3 and HP POwer kit. HP POwer Kit really should be promoted with RCK2/3 .. HP Power Kit provides the exhaust mapping for full exhaust and allows the new MCT quickshifter ( new factory released item for HP4 Race ) to work correctly. Without HP Power Kit the MCT does not work correctly. The_Gooch tried that and he had it before the update of 12/2016 that is needed. If you got HP power Kit before 12/2016 and you have not been to the dealer or someone like me that has all the dealer software, your HP Power kit is behind 2 versions as of now. There was another update March 2017 too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, BMWAG does not provide race maps with the installation of RCK2/3 nor HP Power Kit. People like me, or Alpha, have the WSBK maps that are added in with the addition of installation of RCK2/3 and HP POwer kit. HP POwer Kit really should be promoted with RCK2/3 .. HP Power Kit provides the exhaust mapping for full exhaust and allows the new MCT quickshifter ( new factory released item for HP4 Race ) to work correctly. Without HP Power Kit the MCT does not work correctly. The_Gooch tried that and he had it before the update of 12/2016 that is needed. If you got HP power Kit before 12/2016 and you have not been to the dealer or someone like me that has all the dealer software, your HP Power kit is behind 2 versions as of now. There was another update March 2017 too.
Ok this is very informative now, and I will be contacting you shortly.

Just wanted to know why BMW recommends changing ECU instead of using/flashing existing ECU in your bike?

Thanks, this thread will also help whoever is wondering about HP4 RaceKit 2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You won't like this answer but.......

Best place for you to go is an HP certified BMW dealer. There are companies out there that claim to be able to do this outside of the BMW umbrella but check their reputations first. Many of them have bricked customers bikes during flashes and then shrugged and left their customers to deal with the result. Or sold them codes that don't work and lots of other douchebaggery.

I have the full power kit on my 2013 S1000RR. It's WELL worth the entry price. You get more power but even more important than the power is how much the race ECU free's you from the intrusion of the traction control system.

Here's a good video about the HP parts available for the Gen2 and later bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94KAn5TgWMc

One other thing. A lot of "tune" companies claim to be able to make bikes even more powerful and some even claim to enhance DTC. How many of them are testing in World Superbike like BMW is? None.

Thank you for the info, I am in UAE and we have a Dealership monopoly in this country, so we have 2 BMW dealers only in the entire country, both of which are not upto date with HP and when you do go and ask they charge double the costs of Alpha Germany (who are very good btw). So Alpha has been giving me a bunch of options, they are however trying to upsell me things which I don't want. But thanks to all of you here I now understand the whole thing.

·
Registered
500 Posts
BMW_388. Some informative stuff there. I was under the impression that the base map for the RCK2 was based off of a WSBK map.

Interesting wrinkle with owning a bike with the RCK2. I bought the HP LED turn signals for mine when I was still in "street trim" and wanted the dealer to flip the toggle in the ECU so they would flash at the correct rate. The toggle was not present at all in my ECU. I guess I was lucky to have headlights and turn signals at all really. :)

No headlights need now as it's in full carbon bodywork painted to match the factory scheme exactly. :)

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Lots of things aren't correct and making people confused so again:

The RCK is only the software to alter settings inside your ECU. It doesn't hold or provide any data. It's just the interface to your ECU.

If you buy a raceECU from BMW, it's empty, no map and no data at all. Once you get your activation or unlock code, your BMW dealer will load the race map onto your new ECU. That's a race map for a full exhaust with different settings for DTC etc etc etc. which you can tune and adjust to your liking. We all get the same map there.

Companies like alpha Racing offering flashes as well where some settings are different which you can't adjust with the RCK software...but it's a flash and not the BMW offical way. There's an extra document on their webpage, since they aren't close to BMW anymore they can offer flashes too!

The MCT Lohmann up-/downshifter is for the 2015+ bikes only so not sure what we need that for on the HP4 since we can't use it. The MCT shifter is standalone for the HP4 so nothing to do with BMW or RCK at all.

The so called HP Power Kit is the full exhaust system plus all the other items you need for the raceECU stuff - so also not needed since the HP4 already have a full system. That's good for normal RR only.

Alpha Racing is buying the raceECU and RCK codes from their linked BMW dealer as well and the flash comes from another company too - like all of their products...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So for someone like me who does only track days but is in the desert heat and humidity I need to be able to adjust the afr and more advanced features like ignition timings etc.

Do you guys think it's better to get it alpha flashed or to go BMW way?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts