BMW S1000RR Forum banner

HP4 resurrection, rebuild thread

44K views 147 replies 65 participants last post by  MARC-OLIVIER 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey William from Charlotte NC here. Just stumbled ( literally) over a wrecked 2014 HP4 while browsing an auction lot and always wanted an S1000RR. Fell in love with it and knew I was meant to give it new life. Was lucky enough to win the bidding and took it home. Let the rebuilding begin. I'll be on the parts classifieds page here and maybe even a build update thread. Look forward to learning more about this bike. My current ride is an 04 r1.

If you have any source on used parts I may need please contact me. Thank you.

William 3366935340

See less See more
#6 ·
I hope you only gave $500 for that salvaged amount of parts you have laying there.

#95 ·
That looks cut to me. If you look at one of the pics, you can see that the frame is still a hollow rectangle/isn't crushed.

#10 ·
Interesting project. I hope you keep us updated. There seems to be a steady flow of parted out bikes on this forum. Just keep checking the classifieds.

Is the frame broken from the wreck, or was it cut for salvage purposes?

Oh and, that will not buff out!

#15 ·
You've got a forum full of knowledge and onlookers offering to help.

Just ask and ye shall receive.

Like most, I am in awe of your ambition.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-bl

#17 ·
I'll be honest guys, all the negativity here is pretty sad. Thought some people would enjoy seeing such a great bike being restored instead of parted out just to make a few dollars.

This may come as a surprise to people who are scared of fixing things, but as a former automotive technician, there is no better sense of accomplishment than restoring such an iconic motorcycle.

I was going to create and keep updated a build thread but I guess this proves not to waste my time. I'll just stick on the classifieds since this website would hold no other benefit to me as it seems.

Thank you.
William

#23 · (Edited)
Since the pictures are taken with the bike laying in the dirt, it looks worse then it actually is.

The engine and suspension appear to be unharmed. Although of course there is no guarantee until it it started and driven. Also unharmed is the exhaust, ( missing the silencer ) wiring harness, wheels,tires, brakes, handlebars, battery, majority of the sensors and gas tank

The frame, air box, odds and ends such as a few Sensors are the only visible mechanical issues. Obviously cosmetic pieces such as the plastics , headlights and tachometer will need to be replaced to complete the bike.

Two years ago had to rebuild my r1 from similar circumstances.

Most of the negative comments on my thread are based off of money. Considering I paid about half of what you would buy only the HP4 wheels for , I am extremely happy with my purchase.

#26 ·
Good luck. You might be able to save some money my going with standard plastics instead of HP carbon. Plastics alone with genuine carbon will cost you $3-4k used. I just don't see this happening for $6-7k if you include a frame. Plus, you can't just plug in an instrument cluster. Additionally, DDC can cause issues.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of HP4s. I don't think I could give mine up. I'm just not sure you can you fix it at that budget. I've priced out rebuilds of these bikes with less damage.

#27 ·
I will be able to re use to main piece of carbon fiber on the bottom. ( don't know its proper name)

The insurance company quoted its repair at around 11k$. Assuming they quoted using all OEM new parts + labor. I see no problem meeting my estimate. Again it's not a budget if I need to spend more I will be happy to. Looking forward to shopping on the classified sections !

#30 · (Edited)
Wow, ambitious or what? It will take a lot of time and money to put it back to its original shape. It looks like the engine, wheels and suspension are okay but the rest is in sad shape.

Check SeeYa in this forum. He parts with HP4's every now and then. Just a few months ago, he had almost everything you need. He still may have some parts left.

Keep us posted with your progress. It will be interesting to follow.

Good luck and welcome.

#33 ·
Seriously, my "negative" comment aside I too commend you for the spirit to do this. You've got a helluva project coming your way. I thought it was a pain in the ass just stripping a bike. You have a 100% strip and rebuild ahead of you. Best of luck! We demand photos once done.

If you are truly only in this for a profit you should consider just posting the salvageable parts on ebay- engine, wheels, suspension etc. You'll absolutely maximize your profit that way.

#37 ·
Good luck man. Post up dome pics of progress.
Im all about rebuilding as well do keep at it.
I just finished mine, tho i only had to get anengine replaced and put stock swingarm back in place lf mcintosh extended one

#42 ·
Dang! That thing looks like it was hit with an RPG. Hats off to you for embarking on such a project. If cost is not an issue then good luck to you. Getting all the electronics together would probably give me issues. Hope to see the outcome of this resurrection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.