BMW S1000RR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Found a hair line crack on the last runner on the throttle body. May have it welded, may source a used one. Depending on what I can find.
I used an epoxy putty back in ~2000 on a set of throttle bodies on a TL1000R. It never flaked and was able to smooth it flush, on the interior.
I can't remember the exact stuff, but I got it at either Lowes or HD, it was in a tube, and required minimal kneading, no messy liquids, I think it had dark grey and white and you kneaded it until it was a uniform light grey color, then apply it, cures in 24 hours.

Find it with the other loctite and JB weld stuff.
Btw the cracks on my stuff were a lot worse than that little imperfection.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Great thread. Thanks for taking the time to post. Best luck.
Hey thanks for viewing !! Ill continue to take some from now on.

I used an epoxy putty back in ~2000 on a set of throttle bodies on a TL1000R. It never flaked and was able to smooth it flush, on the interior.
I can't remember the exact stuff, but I got it at either Lowes or HD, it was in a tube, and required minimal kneading, no messy liquids, I think it had dark grey and white and you kneaded it until it was a uniform light grey color, then apply it, cures in 24 hours.

Find it with the other loctite and JB weld stuff.
I am considering a quick fix. Its such a small crack I think a cold weld like that would do the trick. I can always try it and source another one if it doesn't hold. Only thing I am afraid of is with so much repairs going on, the less gremlins the better lol

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for posting the progress on your bike.

I would definitely try some epoxy on that crack. Its a low stress, low temp part. So epoxy should do fine.

Its an odd place to get hit hard enough for a crack tho. It may be wise to check and make sure its nots bent and still is straight.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Hey! Thanks for the support. Not a problem , as far as the fairings go,I am still in need of a HP4 upper tail fairing, and HP4 right side fairing. I have almost everything else covered at the moment. I do need the left side clip on handlebar & switch. I need a lot of small random parts as well, some bolts, throttle cables, Evap canister. Contact me when you get in and we can set something up. Thanks !!! Be safe.

Not sure if you are talking about the mid fairing that has "hp4" insignia, but there's one here....Search results for: '2015-2016 s1000rr' - Used Motorcycle Parts

I was searching for 15-16 parts and hp4 items popped up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Holy crap this is an amazing rebuild, eating my nails /sub

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Thanks for posting the progress on your bike.

I would definitely try some epoxy on that crack. Its a low stress, low temp part. So epoxy should do fine.

Its an odd place to get hit hard enough for a crack tho. It may be wise to check and make sure its nots bent and still is straight.
I'll keep you posted on what I decide. I checked BMWs parts numbers. Any 2011+ throttle body will work. The going rate on a used one on eBay is around $125-$175 it seems. I'll at least try to repair the crack and see how I feel about it.

The plastic fuel fitting between the injectors (fuel pressure housing) is cracked as well so if the used throttle body came with the fuel housing that would be nice!

The flaps open without issue. No other visible damage that I noticed to the throttle body.

Thanks !! I'll check it out.

Not sure if you are talking about the mid fairing that has "hp4" insignia, but there's one here....Search results for: '2015-2016 s1000rr' - Used Motorcycle Parts

I was searching for 15-16 parts and hp4 items popped up.
Thanks !! That's just what I need. Been waiting to catch one in the $200 range but not sure I'll make that happen. Seems the going rate for the right side is $300-$350. I bought the left sight for $180. Not sure why the right is almost double !!

Holy crap this is an amazing rebuild, eating my nails /sub
Thanks !! I'll take as many pictures as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Thanks !! That's just what I need. Been waiting to catch one in the $200 range but not sure I'll make that happen. Seems the going rate for the right side is $300-$350. I bought the left sight for $180. Not sure why the right is almost double !!

Not sure if HP4 riders are more prone to wash out on the left side, but the left mid fairing at that page is cheaper because it has some damage, the right appears to be mint.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Haha!! I know. I really did noticed a difference between the sides though. I will keep searching. I'd be happy if I found one for $250. It doesn't sound like much difference but all these parts add up. Have to shop around

·
Registered
809 Posts
When are you going to post pics???

·
Registered
284 Posts
I might be off but it looks like almost every part is damaged , scratched , or sun faded. I doubt the engine is salvageable from the hit that frame took , unless it was purposely cut - hard to tell.
That looks cut to me. If you look at one of the pics, you can see that the frame is still a hollow rectangle/isn't crushed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
So cool to see the dedication and progress you're making on this project.
Thanks!! Lack of time is holding me back at the moment.

When are you going to post pics???
Will take some more soon this weekend hopefully !!

That looks cut to me. If you look at one of the pics, you can see that the frame is still a hollow rectangle/isn't crushed.
The original frame was not cut. Just wrecked. I am not reusing it though. Seems like some object Hit on the left side under the gas tank and went through the air box to the other side of the frame.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks!! Lack of time is holding me back at the moment.

Will take some more soon this weekend hopefully !!

The original frame was not cut. Just wrecked. I am not reusing it though. Seems like some object Hit on the left side under the gas tank and went through the air box to the other side of the frame.
Thats common practice for insurance companies when a bike is a total loss to cut the frame in states that dont allow rebuilt titles on bikes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Thats common practice for insurance companies when a bike is a total loss to cut the frame in states that dont allow rebuilt titles on bikes.
The frame is not cut , it is split due to an impact. I did not reuse the old frame because it it missing some pieces of metal. North Carolina does allow rebuilt titles. Even if it was cut on purpose , Not seeing the relevance since I already have a new frame. Out of the 50-60 other bikes on auction where I veiwed it this was the only bike that was not on two wheels.

·
Administrator
7,464 Posts
I'm in late on this Will. But stuff everyone who says you can't do it or why are you doing it. If any bike deserves a new life it's a HP4. Best looking bike ever made in my mind. Good luck with it. And if you ever have any questions just shoot me a message. Happy to help.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts