BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***Update*** (24May2019)

Salesman says he'll go well beyond a $20K discount to sell this bike.

==============================

Went to visit my "local" BMW motorcycle dealership for the first time yesterday and they had a brand new HP4 - 2018 for $57K

I know that it is still pretty steep for most of us, but I figure to help pass the word to someone that has the means and use for a track bike of this caliber.

https://www.bmwventura.com/inventory/new/HP4-Race/

(if this happen to break one of the many forum rules, feel free to delete it)

·
Vendor
3,387 Posts
Its a BMW thing right now. There is a couple on the facebook pages in the same position of taking $20K off list. I think I saw one at $52000. The new 2020 might give it a good run on the track and you even get to ride it past 3500 miles with ease of mind.

Reactions: wfo439 and GixY2K

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a BMW thing right now. There is a couple on the facebook pages in the same position of taking $20K off list. I think I saw one at $52000. The new 2020 might give it a good run on the track and you even get to ride it past 3500 miles with ease of mind.
Are you refering to the $30K service every 3500mi when racing? That is crazy. I couldn't believe my ears when the salesman mention that. But try to down play it by saying that it is only when the bike is being raced by a professional and not me. Meaning that if I were to take it to the race track, I would not be hard enough on the engine to call for this type of expesive service.

Don't get me wrong, it is one beutifu masterpiece. But like you mentioned, with a well underated 205hp 2020 M, it will give it hell in the race track.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Being a California dealership they probably had it marked up $20k over MSRP in the first place. I entertained the thought of getting one of these at the time they were announced but nobody was willing to deal. Kind of glad they’re sitting on them now. My intentions were to purchase a second motor off eBay and go through it. You can make a healthy 220+HP motor for $5-6k that will last more than 3500 miles. Save the original for resale down the road.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
I've ridden both on the track and the HP4R is a better track bike without question.

·
5,016 Posts
I would rather buy an M package RR, put $20k into it with the same suspension and brakes as HP4R. Still have an engine that needs to be served with longer intervals. And save the rest. Don't care for a carbon frame.

Would be amazing if BMW makes HP4R cheaper (same range as V4R). Or a track only RR from the factory.

Reactions: GixY2K

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I would rather buy an M package RR, put $20k into it with the same suspension and brakes as HP4R. Still have an engine that needs to be served with longer intervals. And save the rest. Don't care for a carbon frame.

Would be amazing if BMW makes HP4R cheaper (same range as V4R). Or a track only RR from the factory.
Kawi is making a homologation special to deal with the V4R. I'm surprised all the rich teams don't do it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've ridden both on the track and the HP4R is a better track bike without question.
How much do you think it would cost for an 2020 M version to be in par with the HP4R?

And would you say that the electronics on the new M are better/more refined. And what about potential to squeeze more power from an ECU map?

Where in California are you located, if you don't mind the question?

·
5,016 Posts
Kawi is making a homologation special to deal with the V4R. I'm surprised all the rich teams don't do it.
Actually Yamaha, Suzuki all make track only bikes in $30k-40k range. But they're all based on current technology. So won't be competitive with V4R or new RR. I'm really surprised BMW does not have a similar option.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
How much do you think it would cost for an 2020 M version to be in par with the HP4R?

And would you say that the electronics on the new M are better/more refined. And what about potential to squeeze more power from an ECU map?

Where in California are you located, if you don't mind the question?
The forks alone on the HP4R are $12k from alpha racing's website. The swing arm is a whole bunch too. It's way easier to get the HP4 Race.
@z00 The Susuki already has Vtech!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The forks alone on the HP4R are $12k from alpha racing's website. The swing arm is a whole bunch too. It's way easier to get the HP4 Race.
@z00 The Susuki already has Vtech!
Suter swingarm is another $7500. Almost $20k for just the swingarm and forks.

If I could get one at $45K I would jump on it. Pull the motor and save it. Have KWS build a SBK motor from a street motor.

·
Vendor
3,387 Posts
Electronics Electronics....

I study the core, the brain.... The ECU

BMW has settled in on the TC1793 MPU. This MPU is found in the

17/18/19 K46 S1000RR ECU BMSMP
17/18 K60 HP4 RACE S1000RR ECU BMSMS
19/20 K67 S1000RR ECU BMSO

This MPU architecture assures more development and updates to continue at least 2 more years. The 15/16 is TC1797 ECU BMSX/DME. That code development is dead.

The common direction here is racing, performance, and still be street-able use.

The HP4 race is a bargain at $50K to $60K

you are going to take a $20K Street S1000RR and strip it down to be the same race bike the HP4 race is?
Carbon Fiber Frame - $15K
Ohlins FGR WSBK level forks $12K
Ohlins TTX GP rear shock $2K
Upside down swingarm $10K
Carbon Fiber Wheels loaded $5K

Just taking those numbers 20K,15K,12K,2K,10K,5K = $64,000

The HP4 race is a bargain at the going prices now. However, with more street-able electronics and an engine that is going to make 210HP at the rear tire, the new K67 ///M platform is even more of a bargain at $24K OTD. Factory warranty to 36k miles, carbon wheels, upside down adjustable swingarm, updated electronics.

So many decisions for people to make.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Suter swingarm is another $7500. Almost $20k for just the swingarm and forks.

If I could get one at $45K I would jump on it. Pull the motor and save it. Have KWS build a SBK motor from a street motor.
the_gooch,

It sounds they are getting close to your budget. The dealer at Ventura say they'll go well beyond $20K discount to sell you the bike.

Still, I don't know what your racing budget is, but I would think that going down on a K67 would be much less expesive than going down on a HP4.

And speaking of budget, can't you replace some of those part for less expesive, almost same quality, like Ohlins vs. Showa?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Electronics Electronics....

I study the core, the brain.... The ECU

BMW has settled in on the TC1793 MPU. This MPU is found in the

17/18/19 K46 S1000RR ECU BMSMP
17/18 K60 HP4 RACE S1000RR ECU BMSMS
19/20 K67 S1000RR ECU BMSO

This MPU architecture assures more development and updates to continue at least 2 more years. The 15/16 is TC1797 ECU BMSX/DME. That code development is dead.

The common direction here is racing, performance, and still be street-able use.

The HP4 race is a bargain at $50K to $60K

you are going to take a $20K Street S1000RR and strip it down to be the same race bike the HP4 race is?
Carbon Fiber Frame - $15K
Ohlins FGR WSBK level forks $12K
Ohlins TTX GP rear shock $2K
Upside down swingarm $10K
Carbon Fiber Wheels loaded $5K

Just taking those numbers 20K,15K,12K,2K,10K,5K = $64,000

The HP4 race is a bargain at the going prices now. However, with more street-able electronics and an engine that is going to make 210HP at the rear tire, the new K67 ///M platform is even more of a bargain at $24K OTD. Factory warranty to 36k miles, carbon wheels, upside down adjustable swingarm, updated electronics.

So many decisions for people to make.
Agreed on the bargain! Don’t forget the brakes system. After I rode the HP4R, Man! assemble a shopping list that was first thing I came back to pit and start looking up for brake parts!>:)

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Dylan, can you elaborate?

I wish I'd known you had a 2020 at NCM...i only live an hour away and would have liked to have seen it up close :)
The 2020 is a street bike and made to comply with all the various rules and limitations associated with that. The HP4R is a full blooded race bike from the factory, not a warmed over street bike.

The 5,000km engine replacement is such a talking point from people who just will never get the bike. Our HP4R is probably the highest mileage one in the world with 2,300Km after over a year of going all over the USA to different tracks. Flawless performance. You can have it rebuilt by Alpha for 5,000 euros. That said the motor will probably go much farther than 5,000km. I doubt any rider would put 5,000km on theirs inside of 4 years. The new V4R needs a top end rebuild after every 1,500 track miles. Somehow no one seems to be talking about that because it's buried in the user manual.

The 2020 is a wonderful bike and the best yet, but it aint an HP4R. It would take a lot of money and time to convert one to compare with an HP4R. It takes about 3 corners on the HP4R to realize you have a no BS world level bike under you. You can't get any closer to a factory World Superbike for factually (now) about 1/3 the cost.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts