BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Why would anyone want to change their own tires? Isn’t it hard work that usually involves at least one bleeding knuckle? Don’t the tools cost a small fortune when you consider that shops only charge about 25 bucks for the service? Well, some riders don’t live within a few miles of a bike shop. And some folks, well, they’ve always got to do things themselves.

The good news is that, overworked sweat glands aside, changing tires is relatively easy – once you have the right tools. All you really need is a bead breaker, a set of tire irons, some dish soap, and a tire balancing stand.

Begin with your bike on front and rear stands. Once you’ve removed a wheel, unscrew the valve core with a valve stem tool. After the tire has finished its lengthy sigh, place your wheel on an old tire or other work surface. Whatever support you use, you want to make sure the wheel is not resting on a brake disc while you’re working on the bead. Discs bend all too easily and are quite expensive.
Read more about How To Change Motorcycle Tires at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Windex works better than dish soap :wink2:

Also, I cant believe you said that rim protectors CAN be used, as if its an option. They cost what $1 each and WILL stop rims from being scratched by levers and bead breakers.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
the only way i change tires is on the no mar bolted to the ground in my garage! twenty minutes for each tire, from the time the woodcraft slider is removed until it is reinstalled. only took ten tire changes to get competent, only drawback is now my friends know! (especially the one who let me bolt his no mar to my garage floor LOL)

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
I know Windex can be used for a lot of things, but I never thought it would be a good lubricant. If you're changing tires regularly get a jug of Ru-Glyde or No-Mar lube, cheaper than Wndex and the wife won't get mad.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I know Windex can be used for a lot of things, but I never thought it would be a good lubricant. If you're changing tires regularly get a jug of Ru-Glyde or No-Mar lube, cheaper than Wndex and the wife won't get mad.
we dont have those fancy things down here :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any issues with the TPS that I should be aware of when doing a tire change?

Craig

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
What I've learned to do is to position the wheel with the TPS at 6 o'clock, in other words closest to you as you stand at the machine. Then you won't have to force a bead over it or forget and get the bar caught. Just remember to hook the first bead over it before you start installing the second one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not using a machine...using bars.

Craig

·
Administrator
7,669 Posts
we dont have those fancy things down here :)
You can use 2 parts alcohol to 1 part hot water in a mug & mix with a few drops of dish soap. Add soap until it bubbles nicely. The dish soap acts as a lubricant, a great one at that & the alcohol will evaporate the mixture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts