BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
28 years old, no tickets, no claims, no accidents, no criminal, great job, great credit, great area and Progressive quoted me $166/month for my 2013 S1000RR while I had 2 other bikes insured with them and my car.

I told them to shove it. Will be exploring other providers soon. Until then, I gamble with both of our lives every time I get on my S1000RR :grin2:

**edit**- Didn't realize I was participating in resurrecting the dead here...oh well. Good info nonetheless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you feel that you're motorcycle insurance rates are too high, then you'll be happy to know that there are plenty of things you can do to lower your monthly premiums and get your insurance bill under control again. One way that you can reduce your motorcycle insurance rates is by downsizing your motorcycle from a cost as well as a performance standpoint. Motorcycles that have bigger engines and travel at a higher rate of speed are considered to be more risky. Another way that you can reduce motorcycle insurance rates is by opting for a higher deductible. There are also some other areas from where you can reduce you insurance cost, I got info from this reference. Still looking for cheap motorcycle insurance? If possible get multiple quotes and do take help from the internet.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm going to revive this 2 year old dead thread, because I thought it would be interesting and useful for potential new buyers.
As we all know, insurance rates vary drastically by person, but below are my stats that would impact rates and price paid.

Full coverage on a 2018 fully loaded s1000rr purchased new

Pasadena, CA
40 year old single male
M license: 22 years
No accidents or tickets
Excellent credit

Insurance Co: Geico

Initially: $175/month
After 6 months: Dropped to $75/month ??? Did anyone else have this happen?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
To be useful you need to at least provide specifics as to what you mean by "full coverage," whether the bike's coverage is bundled with other bikes, car, house, etc.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm going to revive this 2 year old dead thread, because I thought it would be interesting and useful for potential new buyers.
As we all know, insurance rates vary drastically by person, but below are my stats that would impact rates and price paid.

Full coverage on a 2018 fully loaded s1000rr purchased new

Pasadena, CA
40 year old single male
M license: 22 years
No accidents or tickets
Excellent credit

Insurance Co: Geico

Initially: $175/month
After 6 months: Dropped to $75/month ??? Did anyone else have this happen?
When i first got my s1000rr in 2013 Geico told me I wasn't eligible for a discount because I was an existing customer, so i dropped them and switched to progressive for 3 months and resigned with Geico for about $750 a year.

Geico went up and up when i got the new 2016 a few years ago, shopped them earlier this year and went from $980/year to $460 with Progressive(seriously). Bought it on the spot and haven't looked back, in fact i'm switching my car insurance over next month too. Full coverage w/ 1k deductibles.

32 Male, single, great credit, live in city but okay area, garage in house, no tickets in 13 years or any accidents.

·
Registered
79 Posts
To be useful you need to at least provide specifics as to what you mean by "full coverage," whether the bike's coverage is bundled with other bikes, car, house, etc.
I mean 'standard' liability and collision.
Bike only, nothing else on that policy. Everything else I have is on allstate and they gave me a crazy rate for the bike, so I did that independently.

Please no one argue that there is no such thing as standard. By standard I mean that I did no customization and have no weird add ons that would cloud the rate.
While there are sometimes small differences, most companies offer the very similar coverage in their standard quotes.
You can make a few small customization without major impact on the price, so I think my rate is good for general comparison purposes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When i first got my s1000rr in 2013 Geico told me I wasn't eligible for a discount because I was an existing customer, so i dropped them and switched to progressive for 3 months and resigned with Geico for about $750 a year.

Geico went up and up when i got the new 2016 a few years ago, shopped them earlier this year and went from $980/year to $460 with Progressive(seriously). Bought it on the spot and haven't looked back, in fact i'm switching my car insurance over next month too. Full coverage w/ 1k deductibles.

32 Male, single, great credit, live in city but okay area, garage in house, no tickets in 13 years or any accidents.

I figured I would try quoting progressive just now...$5,660.76 per year

I think they hate me because I totaled a 2 week old bike 6 years ago when I was insured with them.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I mean 'standard' liability and collision.
There is no such thing as "standard" liability and collision.

What coverage limits for third-party liability, if any? $30,000.00? $500,000.00? (Some states do not require carrying even any liability coverage, exceedingly stupid.)

Are you carrying uninsured/underinsured coverage. Limits? Do you have No Fault coverage? Limits?

What are the deductibles for each type of coverage?

Does the policy include basics such as roadside assistance? Towing?

These are the basics one needs to know before comparing rates.

If one does not know these things and makes decisions as to which policy to buy based only on a dollar quote you have absolutely no idea what you are buying and how it compares to other policies. That is, insurance policies are not fungible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There is no such thing as "standard" liability and collision.

What coverage limits for third-party liability, if any? $30,000.00? $500,000.00? (Some states do not require carrying even any liability coverage, exceedingly stupid.)

Are you carrying uninsured/underinsured coverage. Limits? Do you have No Fault coverage? Limits?

What are the deductibles for each type of coverage?

Does the policy include basics such as roadside assistance? Towing?

These are the basics one needs to know before comparing rates.

If one does not know these things and makes decisions as to which policy to buy based only on a dollar quote you have absolutely no idea what you are buying and how it compares to other policies. That is, insurance policies are not fungible.

I specifically said not to argue about this :)

The purpose of this thread isn't to develop an analytical insurance rate database, it's just to get/give a general idea for people of insurance rates various people are paying. While there is not a technical 'standard' rate I'd agree, there is a relative level of coverage that every insurer gives on their base quotes and they are generally very close without material differences. Location definitely impacts what is standard, but everyone is listing their location and for the same location they will have the same mandatory legal requirements and hence the same 'standard' coverage. If someone has an extra $1m of coverage or a $5k deductible then they can call that out as 'non-standard' level of insurance. If someone has roadside assistance, it's like $3.75 a month... not material enough to matter for purpose of this discussion.

For example: I currently pay $900 a year with Geico and when I quoted the 'standard' rate with Progressive it was over $5,000 a year
Is my deductible or roadside assistance going to make a material difference in that comparison?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
It is not argument, just reality.

One cannot get even a "general idea" for purposes of comparison without any idea of what you are comparing.

It is akin to asking for 0-60 times for purposes of comparison, but not knowing whether each data point is a motorcycle, car, scooter, bobsled.

This fundamental flaw renders such discussions pointless and is one of the primary reasons these threads typically die quickly; they are meaningless.

For example: I currently pay $900 a year with Geico and when I quoted the 'standard' rate with Progressive it was over $5,000 a year
You honestly believe the only difference between these two overages is the price, and that Geico offers precisely the same coverage but at only 18% of Progressive's rate?

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is not argument, just reality.

One cannot get even a "general idea" for purposes of comparison without any idea of what you are comparing.

It is akin to asking for 0-60 times for purposes of comparison, but not knowing whether each data point is a motorcycle, car, scooter, bobsled.

This fundamental flaw renders such discussions pointless and is one of the primary reasons these threads typically die quickly; they are meaningless.

You honestly believe the only difference between these two overages is the price, and that Geico offers precisely the same coverage but at only 18% of Progressive's rate?
For the record, I worked at an investment bank specializing in insurance companies for half of my career. Don't go off assuming I don't understand insurance just because we are strangers talking on the internet.

The issue here Mr. Elk is that your definition of 'general idea' is significantly more specific than mine. There are items that make material differences in insurance rates and things that make immaterial differences. What is considered material vs immaterial is always debatable and it seems you are dead set on doing so. If you know the material details which include person, the location, item insured, and the general level of coverage it will get you in the ballpark and that is all we are trying to do here. Does it mean one guy with those same general specs paying $80 and another $130? Sure. Most would define that as 'general idea'. Does it explain every single dollar of variance in policies? Of course not, but I'm not going to hire a team of actuaries and request everyone post up 4 pages of policy and personal info to get a 'general idea' of what people pay. Not doing so does not make them incomparable, it simply means they are not 100% exact comparables - who cares? It's just an internet forum discussion.

As for my progressive quote:
There were zero policy coverage, location, or rider differences between my current Geico policy and the Progressive quote. The only difference, and this is very material, is that I had a total loss at fault motorcycle accident under Progressive in the past (too far back for Geico to get record of). When insurers quote rates that ridiculously high, it is because they simply do no want to insure you. I can load up my Geico policy the max levels they will allow me to be insured and all the add ons I can think of it won't come close to the Progressive rate.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
The only difference, and this is very material, is that I had a total loss at fault motorcycle accident under Progressive in the past (too far back for Geico to get record of).
A superb example of why I opine your concept of "general idea" comparison fails. Without this specific information, it appears Progressive is randomly charging 5 1/2 times more for its coverage - the equivalent of BMW trying to sell its new RR at ~ $140,000. Just because. :)

One needs the entire picture to compare rates. Without the details, comparing quotes is an exercise in futility.

This is easily seen when reviewing the many threads of "What do you pay?" The rates cited are all over the place - apples, oranges, bananas, kumquats.

If one wants to know the best rate for their circumstances, contact a multi-lines broker and talk to a few captive agents. In a very short time you will know your relevant market for the coverage you will actually be buying.

Or even better, listen to the random guys on the Internet. :grin2:

Best of luck in your insurance quest.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A superb example of why I opine your concept of "general idea" comparison fails. Without this specific information, it appears Progressive is randomly charging 5 1/2 times more for its coverage - the equivalent of BMW trying to sell its new RR at ~ $140,000. Just because. :)

One needs the entire picture to compare rates. Without the details, comparing quotes is an exercise in futility.

This is easily seen when reviewing the many threads of "What do you pay?" The rates cited are all over the place - apples, oranges, bananas, kumquats.

If one wants to know the best rate for their circumstances, contact a multi-lines broker and talk to a few captive agents. In a very short time you will know your relevant market for the coverage you will actually be buying.

Or even better, listen to the random guys on the Internet. :grin2:

Best of luck in your insurance quest.
I stated this when I posted the progressive quote rate. Maybe you are misunderstanding the purpose of me reviving this? I am not questing insurance... and I'm not searching for a better rate through this post, just curious what people are paying and sharing what I do. It is .. interesting and maybe useful for some, that's it. Why does that bother you so much? Why are you so angry Mr. Elk?

·
Registered
286 Posts
If someone asks me which company Id recommend to insure the motorcycle my answer would be progressive, because I did a correct comparison between few insurance companies by providing the exact same details and in my “personal scenario and driving history” progressive was the lowest premium, full coverage $1250ish per year on the 2020 s1000rr.
Again considering we all have different scenarios compared to each other shopping around for proper insurance is the best way to guarantee a fair (or good deal), and perhaps one of the easiest tasks to complete in this internet era.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Why are you so angry Mr. Elk?
Why do you believe I am angry? I merely disagree with you as to the value of your approach. Why are you trying to turn this into a personal issue? Why does the topic bother you so much? Why are you so angry? :p

If there is any aspect of my opinion which confuses you, please feel free to ask questions.

I suspect, however, all understand the need to compare apples with apples to reach any meaningful conclusion. I appreciate your view differs.

Best wishes and success in your insurance quest.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts