BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Having ridden the whole line up I too would take a GS over an XR and I don't make that statement lightly. The GS is the jack of all trades and you know where it stands. The XR I really wanted to be a success, but I find it is a compromise and doesn't do anything well in my opinion. It's sales numbers say I'm not alone in that assessment either

·
Registered
158 Posts
a compromise that doesn't do anything well? seriously? as an actual owner of both, I'll stick to agreeing with myself and watching the headlights of the non-believers quickly disappear in the mirrors..

with the XR, I have a slightly de-tuned RR engine, all-day comfortable seat, same cruise control and heated grips, a navigation system that is completely integrated into the bike, an up in the air view like a SUV, tons of storage, all the electronic goodies of the RR and then some, rides where every other biker is looking at the beautiful beast i'm riding, and it can go to the track and smoke more than a few purpose built super sport bikes. If only it did at least something well..

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just returned from about 2,000 km in 4 days riding my XR in Northern Thailand. I've done this trip on my RR before it was retired to track. It was great to do the same trip on the XR. I couldn't be happier with the XR purchase for touring.

The ride North to Chiang Mai is about 700km from Bangkok. The XR is nowhere near as fast as the RR to get north but the entire trip was 'better'

how?

1) riding position & seat. Very little fatigue vs the RR which murdered your wrists and backside

2) luggage capacity. I only need the top box... and that fit more than the soft panniers I used to have on the RR. And I think I could fit a few child labours into the bags if I took my panniers with me as well.

3) visibility. You're up higher than the RR so get a better view of traffic when you strike it. Its just.. well easy to ride.

Downside. You can't do 300 on a public road.. I'm ok with that!

In terms of the twisties, I found the XR much more usable, friendly and easier to "chuck around". I used the tires as much as I would on the RR and sure, the XR doesn't handle as well above 120km / h speeds, but in the "canyons" as many refer to I found the XR to be superior. Easier to flick side to side and a lower torque curve making it as fast as I felt I've been on the RR.

Where normally on the RR I'd be fatigued and tired after the 400km trip through the mountains I had no such feeling on the XR. Still happy and comfortable and ready to hit the bars of Chiang Mai (which every red blooded biker should do once in his life - and for the hers... there are special bars there too :D ).

The riding group included a HP4, speed tripple, 800 Monster and S1000R. The HP4 and S1000R riders are all reasonable track riders (HP4 within 5 seconds of me on the Burirum track). The XR was evenly matched with the single R rider. The HP4 was only fast in the sweepers > 150kph. Otherwise, the XR was quicker.

For road - give me the XR any day of the week.

What I'm never doing is selling my RR for track. It is a missile on the closed circuit (I have the WSBK track at Burirum to play on).

The XR is ok for track if that's all you've got, but track bike its not. Way to unstable at speed, top speed too slow, no ground clearance, no ability to adjust your suspension other than soft or 'slightly less soft'. The RR eats it alive on track (and that 1 second vid XR vs RR is COMPLETE B/S - a blattant lie).

As for the GS, absolutely a fantastic bike. No doubt. Right for me? No way. I rode one for a weekend before settling on the XR. Its a terrific bike but just no where near enough get up and go for me. Its not slow turning or carving the twisties. It just gets left behind in the dust when there is 200 meters of straight...

Even touring I still love to pop the odd wheelie to relieve the boredom. XR for the road, RR for track.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Forgot to mention my wife likes the XR more than any previous bike as well, which is important to me because I like to ride with her and she won't touch the RR and I don't blame her there. I usually have to reach back to make sure she's still there while she's busy checking out the scenery. The only discomfort she gets is when it's coming up around 110 MPH, which is also understandable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Forgot to mention my wife likes the XR more than any previous bike as well, which is important to me because I like to ride with her and she won't touch the RR and I don't blame her there. I usually have to reach back to make sure she's still there while she's busy checking out the scenery. The only discomfort she gets is when it's coming up around 110 MPH, which is also understandable.
Same - my wife never once threw her leg over the RR but she openly says how much she loves the XR. Same with my 2 kids (12 & 7). Its actually hard to get out on a Sunday morning for a decent run as there's always someone putting their hand up to jump on the back. They all ran and hid with the dog when I fired up the RR with its full race exhaust hahaa. The XR just purrs like a kitten. They love it

·
Registered
267 Posts
I sold my RR late last year because I didn't touch it for almost 2 years since getting my XR.

I didn't do track so the XR was basically better all the time on the street and way more comfortable. It's a more wide ranging bike.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Day to day the XR is a better choice than the GS or RR. IMO

A day on the XR has been a better overall experience for me than any bike I've ridden so far. I've been totally happy with the product. Some of the best rides I've been on have been with this machine.

Up to 130 it's as quick as about anything, it will hunt down sportbikes in the corners and it's as comfortable as bikes ~300lbs heavier. And it can carry a ton of stuff. This thing is the sport coat of motorcycles.

The only thing that's going to be quicker and faster in a foot race than an RR, is a newer RR. I'm glad I got to experience that amazing machine, because it's basically a life changing sportbike...but as soon as I got the XR I didn't touch the RR but once in almost two years.

Turns out superbike'ing the GS concept was a good idea.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Only if you are the better rider.

I'd like to think I can hold my own at times. :)

I've only ridden this bike on the street with all abs and tc on and in dynamic mode at the most...usually in sport (I never really use dy-pro). With that setup I can comfortably use all of the available tread on both tires, inside the confines of TC and parts dragging. That also sometimes includes riding with all 3 panniers.

I generally don't like going any farther over than around the top of the 2ct logo on the front, I like to keep that last little bit for emergencies.

The rear I pretty much don't care about, so it just ends up somewhere below the 2ct. Back there the logo counts as tread as far as I'm concerned.

(Tires have -2300mls on them)

It's approaching stupid to go much farther over on non race-prepped surfaces.

I ride the XR like I rode my RR pretty much...except longer, more often and in total comfort, while using my highway pegs...while also getting traffic and weather updates.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Lean angles do not a better rider make.

All bikes can be ridden hard. But given equally skilled riders, a sport bile will win in the corners every time. It is what sport bikes are good at.

The XR will always win in comfort, etc.

They are different animals with different strengths,

·
Registered
1 Posts
(((((Lean angles do not a better rider make.)))))

All bikes can be ridden hard. But given equally skilled riders, a sport bile will win in the corners every time. It is what sport bikes are good at.

The XR will always win in comfort, etc.

They are different animals with different strengths,
Tell marc marquez that , Lol !

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Loved my nicely set up 2010 RR but it had its short comings as a street bike (at least out here in the wide open spaces of Texas).
While the RR is good for up to about 400 mile rides (to this 55yo) the XR is good for all day in the comfort dept.
second, sorry but the RR just doesn't have good luggage solution (no I don't like strapping soft bags all over the place) BMW didn't develop hard bags for the bike and they could have, they have for just about every other bike in their line up (including the R90S the worlds first super bike)
third, lets talk fuel range, the RR just doesn't have adequate for going places where you can easily see over 150 miles between fuel stops, so then one needs to carry around fuel bottles on a bike that is luggage challenged.
fourth, lack of alt output to reliably run electrics in the winter when it comes to outfitting a bike for year round riding alt size matters.

all these regulate the RR to what it really is, the best full on Race rep bike on the planet. great for day rides but a very serious compromise to live with as ones only bike (been there done that)

The XR is 80-90 percent of the great parts of the RR but also fills in all the gaps that the RR has when it comes to being a High performance Swiss Army knife of a bike. If I was still running multiple bike the RR/XR combo would be perfect IMHO but since "there can be only one" the XR makes more sense if one wants a great all rounder without giving up too much performance and moving to the GS

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's approaching stupid to go much farther over on non race-prepped surfaces.
I agree, on most roads is stupid to lean that far, that's why trips to places such as Deals Gap is so worth it.

I have my own piece of heaven about 3 hours away from home; this is where I break-in my new tires to get rid of the infamous chicken strips. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Own an RR, an XR and a GTLE.

The XR is the best overall bike made imo. So much good about it; laughably better than a GS for me. No way the GS hangs with an XR in aggressive riding.

The RR is a riot; it's a race bike. Period. Love it.

The GTLE is a gigantic, powerful beast for the Mrs. comfort. She won't get on the XR (RR isn't even a discussion, lol). It's amazing how much power that 1600 GTLE has.

The GTLE would be first to go, followed by the RR. I'm glad that doesn't have to happen though. If I could have only one, it would be the XR.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with the above. I have XR and HP4 Comp. XRs comfort and ability to handle rough surface is a huge plus. HP4 well it's an icon that blast to ride. Will not sell either, but if I had to then XR.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have both an XR and an RR. One is my go fast bike the other is my go far bike. The go far bike just happens to go pretty quick too. Once you go adventure sportbike (XR) on the road it's very hard to go back. 350 miles on an XR is completely painless it's pretty uncomfy but doable on a RR.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts