BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I sold my 2010 RR for a more comfortable bike two years ago and bought an RT.
But I always missed her.

Sold the RT and bought a new XR.

Now the guy who I had sold the rr to is offering her up to me again.

I know the bike, she's mint but now six years old. I mean the new RR must be leagues ahead.

Would these two compliment each other?
Or pointless to have both please?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I agree with skapan. I don't have an XR - however I'm thinking of purchasing one.

I also have owned a few RR's. My first one I rode mostly on the street - while owning several other bikes including a K1300S.

As much as the RR was fantastic - it was no match for the all day comfort of the K1300S which is a powerhouse of a ride in itself.

Sure the RR handled better but 90% of my street riding it was not a factor.

After 3 years of owning my RR I had decided I was done - not because the bike was not awesome - it was - it was so hard to ride on the street for me. I never rode it anywhere close to legal speed limits. Sooner or later (and I thought sooner) I was going to get a huge ticket or get seriously hurt.

Plus my K1300S really all around was better for me.

Now during those 3 years I always thought I would get to the track with the RR - well that never really happened a few times here and there and that was it.

Now the XR is on the platform of an RR - same engine tuned for the street - actually tuned better than the RR for street duty. Handles pretty darn good and goes like stink.

The 2010 RR will most likely become a garage queen. Unless like skapan stated in his post you are going to track the RR.

Then it makes all the sense in the world - you will have an awesome street bike and an awesome track bike.

Now first hand experience - as I said I was done with the RR - well as it turned out a little luck changed all that.

I was just about to sell/trade it - when I went to a track day organizations open house if you will.

This organization was going to be doing 90% of their track days at two new tracks which just happened to be in my backyard one is 45 minutes and the other just over an hour from my house.

I did trade my RR the next week for a 2015 RR.

I signed up with that track day organization a few weeks later (became a member) now no matter what I'm going to the track I paid my money.

Two years later I've done about 50 track days with my RR -it's never been on the street and don't miss it one bit.

My K1300S does everything I need on the street - gives thrill after thrill and I can ride it way longer than I could my RR. I'm thinking the XR will provide that as well.

I get that most have only one bike - this makes a huge difference - in that case I absolutely understand owning and riding an RR on the street.

And even those that have one or more bikes that ride the RR on the street I still get it - but for me this works best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your comments.
Really well thought out. Much appreciated.

It is putting me in a perspective, it will not really make much sense to me once that I have the XR.

I am actually faster on the road on this than on the XR, but for some reason the RR has more of a wow factor for the short rides.

I will not be doing track days. And when I do I usually rent one of the bikes that are available.

So if you had to consider a bike to compliment the XR what would it be please?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I own a 2015 RR and a 2016 XR.

I bought the XR because

1) I got sick of swapping the RR from track to street and vice versa. I was able to track once or twice a month (work in the way now)
2) The RR was too hot for Bangkok, and too fast in the mountains. It was just inviting to be ridden over 200 everywhere (no police in Thailand)
3) The RR can't tour well - its not meant for that.
4) I got my bonus and couldn't decide what stock to buy.. so I bought a bike haha

Once I got the XR I swapped the RR to be a full track bike and love it. No more fear of dropping the bike... so I high sided her after 10,000 km (of which about 4,000 were track time).

Now I can jump on the XR and comfortably get anywhere, then jump on the RR and tear up the track. I even took them both to track one day and had a hoot of a time.

The RR will stay in my stable for as long as I keep going to track. The XR stays in the stable as a fantastic all round bike. I'd sell my RR first when it comes time.

My only complaint on the XR is I wish it had the RR engine... but then I'd end up doing ridiculous speeds on a bike that is simply not up to standard when travelling at speeds over 200 kph

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I have a '15 Motorrad RR with the "forgies", and love it. There's no way I'd consider getting rid of it....except maybe in a few years if they make a new HP4 (5?) that's even better. Although I have not ridden an XR, they're cool, but...my next bike will be a new KTM Super Adventure R, because it's the best ADV bike in the dirt, and I wanna get dirty! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you're not stuck on BMW then maybe look at other bikes. I just looked at a Triumph Speed Triple R as well as the Yamaha FZ10. I'm considering purchasing one of those. I've always had a love for naked, and put 42K miles on my 07 FZ1 which I had for 4 yrs before trading into supersports.

·
Administrator
6,775 Posts
I'd have an RR and a RT over the XR. RT is made to tour. XR is a slow RR that doesn't handle as well. Sure it still handles and is plenty fast. But essentially nothing can do what the RR does. I also have a soft spot for the RT. I love them. Such a good bike. It rounds up sports bike with ease. Panniers and mrs on the back. Radio on. Outta my way you power ranger bastards.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Sissy twin, could never ride one of those. Sorry.
I assume he is talking about the R nine T. Completely agree. There is just something inherently wrong with 2 cylinders sticking out the side of a bike! :surprise: One mishap and you wipe out a cylinder head and or cylinder. No thanks. :nerd:

·
Administrator
6,697 Posts
I'm talking about the RT that Benny mentioned. Unfortunately I'm not old enough to ride one of those. RS would be a better choice I think, but what do I know? I sold my HP2 Sport.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the RT and an S1000R. Got to say I have the best of both worlds. RT is great for long rides and going to and from work. The R does the going to and from work but also the play on the weekends. I did not find the XR as good to tour on as the RT and it does not handle as well as the R.

It is not were you go, it is how you get there that matters.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have all three and for track use I keep my prepped 2010 RR. On the road the R and the XR are quite different hence the reason to keep both (the XR was supposed to replace the R). Note: the 2010RR is by far the best RR engine choice but it needs the race kit, Ös and an alpha pivot. Then it's better than all the newer ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Over the years I've been mainly a R bike kind of guy. Perfect engine for sane street riding, and the new liquid cooled versions are brilliant, especially with all the ESA and ride modes stuff. Owned a K1300S for a while. Neither fish nor fowl. Blazing fast and powerful, but not a real sport bike, nor really comfortable enough or decent luggage for touring. I had a GSA for a few years, and had it fully equipped for a Himalayan expedition, however life intervened and I rode it on the street only with a few dirt roads inbetween. It was so road only I put street tires on it when I wore out the OEM rubber. The next year I began questioning the need to have a stool or take a running start every time I wanted to climb on the bike. Sort of like owning a Hummer H2 as a daily driver. Had taken an RT for a ride but was unimpressed. Felt slightly vaugue in handling, and too much wind protection - a little too detached (have an an R9T as well that defines visceral and is pure unadulterated bugs in your teeth motorcycling joy) Made the mistake of taking a new R1200RS for a ride. Fast as anyone needs to go on the street, and handled better than any R bike I've ever ridden. Handled better than the K13 by an order of magnitude, and comes with excellent luggage options, integral GPS, cruise, and is all day comfy for my dimensions. Sold the GSA.

I had lusted after a RR from the day they came out, but figured I could never ride one for either comfort or as a single bike. Then I started reading about the absolute brilliance of the new 16's, and made the mistake of calling my dealer and asking what a OTD end of season RR would go for (far less than I expected) and made another mistake of taking one for a test drive. I was surprised at how relatively comfortable I was on one (more than the K13). As I was in the position and already largely talked myself into it I pulled the trigger on the last Motorad color premium they had in stock. While not yet to the first service, I'm amazed at the handling and cabapilities of this bike, even in choked down form, as well as its manners in the lower RPM's. I can also tell I will never be able to ride this bike to even a 1/4 it's capability on the street without losing my liscense or killing myself. Fortunately, and this was part of the equation, there is a track within an hour and a half of where I live, and I also took the plunge on a Kendon as I have other opportunities for rides where it's more practical and faster to trailor a bike to where the good riding is. A good friend of mine has the XR and it doesn't do that much for me. Too short in the bar to torso ergos, and again neither fish nor fowl in my view, although my buddy loves his. I think the adventure tour moniker is off the mark. Maybe urban adventure, but BMW marketing never asked me.

So this is a long winded way of saying if you can afford both, get two (or more) bikes, specific to each kind of riding you want to do. It still remains to be seen whether I use the RR as intended, however having the option to own and ride the two wheeled equivalent of 911 4S Turboghini Veyronararri for less than the price of the
optional red leather trim on the aforementioned is its own reward.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you can, absolutely. My XR reminds me how great the RR is and the RR reminds me how great the XR is. Very different beasts, but a nice change for the months I can actually ride both. The XR is the only year-round bike for me, though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i think the R1200GS complements having a RR better than the XR. I would love to have one as a great all rounder. It dosnt have the blistering speed of the XR but once it gets going, it is plenty fast and pretty amazing on the twisties too. It will keep up with an XR but can go offroad if you ever feel the need. It's plenty comfortable for touring cept some wind and is loaded with tech. i wanted to get one for my daily ride but its a little big and i cant filter traffic which sort of defeats the purpose of having it as my commuter. it does lack coolness too.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'll stick with the XR over a GS as I'm not ready to be old. Personal opinion of course, but I rarely see younger/less rotund guys on a GS..

disclaimer: I just had my 49 ½ birthday at the beginning of this month.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts