BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Recently attended my first track days. I put the bike in rain mode based on a recommendation by an instructor. Being my first track day, I had a lot on my hands and was happy with all the electronic aids that were saving my butt without me knowing. Moving on to day 2 and 3, the speeds were increasing along with the lean angles.

When I was mid corner at a fairly deep angle, I would feel the bike shutter or wiggle. Its hard to recall with accuracy, but I think these wiggles happened when I was adding lean angle mid corner as opposed to setting the angle at entry. There were a few long 180 degree turns where you had time to make adjustments. On every wiggle, I would decrease the angle and continue on.

I have read that DTC works differently in different modes. On the older models I think there's a post stating that anything above X lean angle and the system will not allow an increase in speed - maintenance throttle is fine. Rain mode having the most conservative which decreases all the way up through the pro modes.

Is this true for the new bikes? Do you think the shutter or wiggle is my own fear of the increasing angle and my reaction to that fear or does the system intrude if angles are too high?

Similarly, am I understanding this correctly? if you increase lean angle mid corner, you have to either tighten the curve or increase speed.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,272 Posts
Nothing stops you from leaning more or less. Speed is also not hindered. The DTC is looking at front and rear wheel speed and also how much throttle you are asking for. If you are leaned over you have less tyre on the road so a smaller contact patch. You have less grip. If you ask for too much throttle and the DTC detects wheel slip or calculates at that angle and rpm and throttle percentage you will slip the wheel then it will intervene. It works this way for all modes. The only thing that changes are the parameters in which it will intervene. Rain being very early, Race being the latest. Then of course pro modes for custom levels adjustable by the user.

·
Vendor
3,884 Posts
You need to read a couple of books since you are just learning. Getting the feel of lean angle vs speed in the corners comes with alot of laps and practice.

The DTC ( Dynamic Traction Control ) is what you also want to read about. In rain mode the DTC is very aggressive with DTC since the ECU has no clue it is really not raining outside. You have requested Rain Mode parameters and in this mode, the reading of VSS differential front to rear at lean angles 40 plus degrees start to trigger DTC even if it is not needed. If you feel comfortable at the next track day try to only use Sport mode and the DTC will be less aggressive ( intrusive ) .

Read this book to start with

Reactions: Littlebitoquickness

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Similarly, am I understanding this correctly? if you increase lean angle mid corner, you have to either tighten the curve or increase speed.
No, you are not understanding correctly.

Increasing lean angle while adding throttle is a sure way to crash.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have read that DTC works differently in different modes. On the older models I think there's a post stating that anything above X lean angle and the system will not allow an increase in speed - maintenance throttle is fine. Rain mode having the most conservative which decreases all the way up through the pro modes.

Is this true for the new bikes?
This is not true and this also wrong.

DTC works on slippage targets and it cuts the throttle if wheel slip goes above certain target.

Do you think the shutter or wiggle is my own fear of the increasing angle and my reaction to that fear or does the system intrude if angles are too high?
Yes, all "shutters" and "wiggles" are purely because it's your first trackday.

Get used to the bike, ride more, learn how to hang off and stay relaxed on the bike and it will go away.

You can lean more to tighten the corner. Usually you don't do this mid corner, but at the tipping in point. You set required lean and make the turn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts