BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! The dude before me added this sort of setup himself (web pic) and it's WAY too loud for me.

I want to go back and have all the old parts. He had it dynotuned afterwards, can I simply swap out the parts and connect the cables then get it tuned or is this best done in a shop. I have the tools, have done mechanicals on my bikes before, services, camchain replacements etc, but this new bike is a bit hitech in comparison. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bike is a 17 model. Thanks for reading. Frank

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
PS. would be happy to keep either can or pipes but I just want it quieter. I tried refitting the factory muffler but the diameter of the large pipe is smaller than on the one on the shorty

·
Administrator
7,131 Posts
Do you know how it was tuned? If it was Bazzazz or PC it can simply be removed, but if the ECU was flashed it would need to be done again. Yes, just remove the aftermarket system and reinstall the factory bits. If you don't want to deal with the cables and servos just get Servo Buddies to eliminate them. The hardest part of the whole process is the support for the bottom of the radiator. Lots of info here about exhaust system removal/install.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you know how it was tuned?
The hardest part of the whole process is the support for the bottom of the radiator.
No idea, I'll ask the previous owner for the name of the guy that dynoed it.
I'll do a search for the removal of the pipes, have already checked a few Utubes

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Do the link pipes like up for the OEM muffler?? IF so, how about getting a sleeve made up to fill the 'space' between the headers and muffler(though this may not be feasible). Or look for an Akra long can. Did you try to lift the stock headers yet???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do the link pipes like up for the OEM muffler?? IF so, how about getting a sleeve made up to fill the 'space' between the headers and muffler(though this may not be feasible). Or look for an Akra long can. Did you try to lift the stock headers yet???
Yes they line up ok, though the big one is short. It could be made to work, the sleeve would be 'outside' the can, not inside, and the bloody upper mount would need a mod. Basically the little bottom pipe on the headers is too long by ( I didn't measure yet) but if it was shorter, and the OEM can's little pipe was cut too so it didn't foul on the bend...
I don't want to spend $1200 on the other Akro can, probably wouldn't fit either
Not looking good for keeping the SS headers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Frank, glad to see your post. I'm on the same boat and lot of tracks near us has noise restriction. What did you do to tighten the cans? Did the adjustable clamps work, any leak?

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I'd be inclined to go with the standard headers and the Akrapovič can. The sound isn't so ear wrenching compared with the stock sound/loudness.

The Akrapovič can also cleans up the back end a bit, if you are into that particular look. It's the best of both worlds.

BTW, I've never been pulled up by the LEO for having this setup, so clearly it's not excessively loud to warrant attention from them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd be inclined to go with the standard headers and the Akrapovič can.
The Akrapovič can also cleans up the back end a bit, if you are into that particular look.
Yes I am into that particular look, definitely. It won't fit on my standard pipes though, I tried, but I can get it modified easy enough. All I want to do first though is ride the bloody bike! Something I haven't been able to do around here in it's present configuration.
BTW your bike looks Excellent* Did you paint the CAT, or is that black standard? The decat system I have on now allowes a full bellycover but I'll lose that when I go back. Perhaps I can sell the carbon fiber one with the headers.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
akra should be able to give you a list of part numbers that will bolt up, either to the rider or passenger footpegs, especially if you have the part number of the headers/midpipe that's on there. then you should be able to find maybe a used akra, maybe even trade for it or sell yours and recoup some $$. You'll probably spend more in labor hours and a re-tune. I can't see needing a re-tune just for swapping the can for something a little more restrictive, but I'm not an expert.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
BTW your bike looks Excellent* Did you paint the CAT, or is that black standard?
Thanks. I got the headers ceramic coated. A tad expensive, but a good clean finish compared to painting it. BMW should have made the scrotum black from the factory. Definitely makes it look cleaner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
This Fu*#^ng saga never ends. BMW can't re-tune because the flash at the Dyno. Any dyno in Brisbane it seems can but the factory guys can't. Anyway dynos want $750 to retune it, after the stock pipes are back on. The hell I'm gonna pay that, now I'm investigating just the can. It will be the cheaper option and a hell of a lot less work. I'd cut up the 2 factory can pipes myself and fit them in at this stage but I doubt it would make it quiet enough. Besides, it would look bad. Grrrrrrrr

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
7,964 Posts
Dealers won't touch anything modified. They get scared. The DME can be flashed at a dealer if the i-level is older than current. Even then a coding can be done. This will over write the DME to factory settings removing any adjustments made by the flash/tune.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts