BMW S1000RR Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have ran water wetter and engine ice, in my race quads and bikes.. to be honest - I don't see much of a difference if ANY. With that said the heat doesn't bother me, unless maybe first gear traffic... as soon as I get some air through that radiater it's good to go!

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
2017 S1000rr
114 Posts
Same problem here with my '14. I bought some carbon fiber frame covers and it helps a lot. Still hot but keeps that flaming heat off my legs a lil better.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
i was stuck behind construction pilot truck going 5mph over freshly laid asphalt in 105F weather, my bike was stuck around 220-225F!!! after 10 minutes of this it started to go up to 228F and i said f*ck this $hit and went around pilot truck and rode in the unpaved dirt lane getting the bike sideways trying to cool her down!

now if i see 220+ sitting in traffic i say f*ck this $hit and get going up to 50-60mph to get her cooled down to 200 or below.

if rapidbike evo really cools things down 20F all over the range i might just do it!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I can't stand seeing squids in shorts, or shorts and flip flops. Don't wave at me squid.
A bit off topic, but here in my little town shorts, tank tops, flip flops (or barefeet) are standard fare. Also not fastening ones helmet is the norm. I personally know 3 people who received needless head injuries because their helmets flew off during accidents. Crazy....crazy.

The brother of a friend recently lost a foot after crashing in flip flops. I def stand out here because of `all that gear` I wear. I could go on and on about riding down here. Ahhhh, quite the adventure.

Just remembered...... saw one guy zooming through town on his 125 Honda in only his BVDs and a open face helmet. Had a big smile going on. Maybe returning home after seeing his g/f? Dunno.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
So i recently purchased my first s1000rr(2015) and noticed the frame was extremely hot and i did some searching on here to see if it was normal and apparently its been an issue since the very beginning. My question is, what can be done to avoid from burning the inside of my knees!?
My second question is, is it normal for the bike to be running around 220 degrees(f) ? That seems a little to hot for me! I have some engine ice but I'm waiting till my first service to replace it.
I had the same problem but fixed it by buying carbon fiber frame covers and used heat resistant silicone and it worked a treat and it looks sweet

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem but fixed it by buying carbon fiber frame covers and used heat resistant silicone and it worked a treat and it looks sweet
Awesome!! I have been looking for a solution to the hot pegs. Any more details on the silicone and any tips on the process.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Awesome!! I have been looking for a solution to the hot pegs. Any more details on the silicone and any tips on the process.
If you have a 2015-2018, putting C/F covers on the frame will help protect your thighs but aren't going to cure your blazing hot footpegs. That's due to those blazing hot catalytic converters right under your feet running at 1,200-1,800deg F! Best thing to do to cure it is to get a full exhaust system. I thought about wrapping the cats in Thermotec "asbestos" wrap, but I was not able to get any feedback from BMW about if the cats would overheat being wrapped like that. You could gut the cats, but opening them up and then re-welding them is the issue.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Let them wear what they want, I love seeing natural selection in action.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have no cats. Pegs still get hot. Its the frame conducting, always has been.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I have no cats. Pegs still get hot. Its the frame conducting, always has been.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Right, but the cats are by FAR the hottest part of the engine, due to their very nature, and they're right under your feet, so removing them WILL help considerably.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts