BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
All the bikes I've ever owned has always gone above 200 when sitting in traffic on 80 degrees or hotter days. The only difference between them is some radiate the heat more than others. Did 300 miles yesterday with s1krr, some of it in traffic and it got up to around 220 but even though I can feel the heat it was tolerable. Considering how ridiculously awesome this bike is, for me that's a small price to pay. You have to remember that's about 200 horses between your legs so there's gonna be some heat. My R6 regularly gets to around 230 in traffic but the funny thing is I never even noticed the heat riding it. Just make sure you're wearing the right gear when riding (shorts, T-shirts and sneakers doesn't qualify).

·
Registered
99 Posts
My zx10 is flashed so fan comes on at 185 it's great and I'm not sure how I'd like the heat if I got bmw would probly be asking Bren to lower fan lol my bike doesn't get above 195 and that's after miles of stop and go traffic in like 85-90

Before I flashed it the bike wouldn'tt go over like 210. Even if it just sat in traffic. it takes the fun out of it n a hot day. I don't ride in the heat as it is with my bike running so cool so I can't imagine a bmw in Cali.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cali is such a big state. Nor Cal has nice weather.

I wouldn't own a bike in Arizona, Texas, and Florida.
Na! I'd ride if I lived down there. Sure not I would when it's over 100 but you gotta remember they're riding in the winter when are butts are buried in snow or living with the constant rain as I do in Seattle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My zx10 is flashed so fan comes on at 185 it's great and I'm not sure how I'd like the heat if I got bmw would probly be asking Bren to lower fan lol my bike doesn't get above 195 and that's after miles of stop and go traffic in like 85-90

Before I flashed it the bike wouldn'tt go over like 210. Even if it just sat in traffic. it takes the fun out of it n a hot day. I don't ride in the heat as it is with my bike running so cool so I can't imagine a bmw in Cali.
Yeah, I'm going to get my fan temp lowered to around 200. I believe the fan come on at around 212 with the factory setting. I will also be ordering the full Akra evo system in a few weeks and have the primary pipes and Y tube sent to Jet Hot for their ceramic treatment. Guess we'll see if it helps some.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So i recently purchased my first s1000rr(2015) and noticed the frame was extremely hot and i did some searching on here to see if it was normal and apparently its been an issue since the very beginning. My question is, what can be done to avoid from burning the inside of my knees!?
My second question is, is it normal for the bike to be running around 220 degrees(f) ? That seems a little to hot for me! I have some engine ice but I'm waiting till my first service to replace it.
I threw on a pair of CF frame covers and it has helped A LOT! Looks sweet too.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Yeah, I'm going to get my fan temp lowered to around 200. I believe the fan come on at around 212 with the factory setting. I will also be ordering the full Akra evo system in a few weeks and have the primary pipes and Y tube sent to Jet Hot for their ceramic treatment. Guess we'll see if it helps some.
That'll help. I still got cats and stock pipe and mine ain't too bad it's the fan. It just lets the heat soak get bad before it kicks on. If you don't let it get so hot it's not as bad. It's crazy to feel the heat coming off it on a hot day when the fan comes on. These things do make some heat. I've never heard of the jet hot treatment but like I said fan at 195-200 you'll be golden. I rode a friends 10 without fan turn on flash it was different bike.

I was told they have been progressively running these bikes hotter in order to help with emmisions. It's a byproduct of 200 hp.. It's on the razors edge of not passing emmisions. Of course bmw has an easier test due to it putting less bikes on the road than jap manufacturers this is supposedly why jap bikes are restricted and your beasts aren't.... They allow more leeway since bmw doesn't slam so many bikes into country

·
Registered
107 Posts
225 is the hottest I have seen on my 2010. With armored jeans it gets hot in the city. With leathers I do not notice yet with sidi half boots my feet get hot from the bike. It is normal. Lots of ponies fighting to get out. I have a ton of carbon fiber yet it still gets hot. You gotta pick your demons, at least it's not a undertail exhaust like a Ducati. I would rather deal with radiating heat from my legs than my butt.
This bike likes speed more than traffic. It also hates 90 plus days.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

How do you get the fan turn-on temp lowered?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thinking out loud here..

Not familiar with how hot a 2015 s1000rr is meant to get but I actually got burned from the heat today.. Wasn't wearing jeans but normal pants and ankle socks and sport shoes, travelling highway speeds (110km/hr) in 6th gear for about 1-2 hours in 30-40 degree Celsius ambient temperature. Coolant temp was 87 deg to 100 deg.

Is my exhaust to blame? Ive got on an SC Project CRT. Since the stock silencer has the catconverter built in, I suppose it's fair to say the header/exhaust is the one to blame?
But both my left and right legs were burning hot, foot pegs and even rear ones are hot AF!

Or is the 2015 s1000rr normally run that hot.. ?

Any input guys?

Cheers

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,116 Posts
They run hot as per normal operation. Especially if it was 30-40 outside temp. Wearing sport shoes, ankle socks and normal pants is stupid. No protection from a crash and as you found out, not protection from heat. If you had textiles or leathers you wouldn't have a problem. Don't be a goon.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Yep, my feet are burning, the 2016 is super hot at cruise. I never had this problem with my '13 S1000RR or '14 HP4

Rode today for hours in 90f temp, the heat was unearable on my feet. I had to look at my boots to ensure they're not on fire. I was in full leathers and boots. I wonder if it's the cats or by design. I think the later.

Has anyone tried using water wetter? My buddy with 848 Ducati replace his coolant with water wetter and he said his is temp is on average 15 degrees less. I don't see how is that possible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yep, my feet are burning, the 2016 is super hot at cruise. I never had this problem with my '13 S1000RR or '14 HP4
On a good canyon run I will see my temp get up to 233, so I slow to a cruise just to cool it down. I only feel as if the top of my feet are burning.

·
Registered
511 Posts
How about your heels? Does anyone feel the extreme heat in their heels?
-I always wear Alpinestar boots and after riding for some time, I feel my heels burning up :/

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can't stand seeing squids in shorts, or shorts and flip flops. Don't wave at me squid.

Reactions: bennymx
61 - 80 of 87 Posts