BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently purchased my first s1000rr(2015) and noticed the frame was extremely hot and i did some searching on here to see if it was normal and apparently its been an issue since the very beginning. My question is, what can be done to avoid from burning the inside of my knees!?
My second question is, is it normal for the bike to be running around 220 degrees(f) ? That seems a little to hot for me! I have some engine ice but I'm waiting till my first service to replace it.

·
Administrator
7,138 Posts
Don't wear shorts. Or keep the engine off. You will get used to it.

Is 220 degrees normal? Probably if you're in traffic and it's 90 or so. As soon as you get out of traffic and get some speed it should be more like 170.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I ride with my butt as far back as it'll go and can easily keep my knees away from the heat. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. Try moving your riding position around. -Chris

·
Registered
136 Posts
They are all hot, as are previous years. I'm. It here to preach about proper gear but jeans will keep you flesh from burning quickly though it will still be really hot. I don't feel any heat with my leathers on. Everything metal on the bike gets stupid hot so if you feel like your feet are burning, they are.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
They are all hot, as are previous years. I'm. It here to preach about proper gear but jeans will keep you flesh from burning quickly though it will still be really hot. I don't feel any heat with my leathers on. Everything metal on the bike gets stupid hot so if you feel like your feet are burning, they are.
Mine is not hot.

·
Registered
205 Posts
2012 and 2015 not a big deal. How the hell are you "burning" your knee? Are you riding with shorts?
Knees should be up on the tank ..if they are on the frame : get some new rearsets to adjust that. But yeah ride that bike in proper riding gear :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
my '15 is definitely hotter than my old '12 ZX6R, but from what I've read, the BMW is one of the "cooler" bikes, which means I'd hate to see how hot the others (Panigale especially) get.. and mine always rides around 220-225 in town when it's 85+. Yesterday was one of the odd hot (95) days here and it was at 223 when I pulled into the parking garage. Still a blast and the heat from the frame helps when it's Far from 85 outside.

·
Registered
242 Posts
It gets hot at the frame but jeans will keep you from getting fried. My issue is the heat coming off the rearsets. Painful

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used to be significantly larger and was diabetic, so my feet don't feel much of anything.. obviously not the best solution, but it technically works

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe i should have mentioned that i NEVER ride with shorts on. I wear my SIDIs, leather jacket, gauntlet gloves and jeans AT ALL times. When i go on longer rides or track days i pull out the suit. and by "burning my knees" i meant the frame is so crazy hot i can feel it through my jeans; even the rear sets are so hot you can't touch'em!
Changing my riding style is questionable, i plan on putting some rearsets on it so i can adjust the height so my knees are on the tank. That has always been a problem with all of the bikes I've had.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It gets hot at the frame but jeans will keep you from getting fried. My issue is the heat coming off the rearsets. Painful
I've noticed this in my feet on my 2015 - but never noticed it on my 2014. I have no idea why.

Reactions: pchao

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
Obviously agree with all....the bike runs hot and the frame is quite hot to the touch (never felt it through my gear or even the times I've rode in jeans). I mostly wear my boots when riding but have also rode around town in sneakers. I've never experienced the "hot pegs" on my HP4....wondering if it's due to never having rode it with the cat in place. I installed the link pipe before my first ever ride??

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm going to put a full system on it this winter and I hope that knocks the heat down but if it doesn't I'll just have to keep moving my feet on the pegs to reduce the fire lol. Maybe rhino liner them ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a '15 and just a few weeks ago I wrapped my exhaust from the headers, all the way back to the muffler. Prior to wrapping it, I was getting extreme heat on my lower left leg. The wrap has definitely brought the temps down. Also the frame does still get really hot but not as hot as it did before.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Honestly I don't think the 2015 S1000RR is that hot. You're sitting on a highly strung 200hp engine. My 07 R1 with undertail exhaust is worse.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I have a '15 and just a few weeks ago I wrapped my exhaust from the headers, all the way back to the muffler. Prior to wrapping it, I was getting extreme heat on my lower left leg. The wrap has definitely brought the temps down. Also the frame does still get really hot but not as hot as it did before.
Where is the heat going to go? Did the engine temp change at all?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where is the heat going to go? Did the engine temp change at all?
Some of the heat does come from the engine but from what I gather and what some others here have said, some of the heat comes from the exposed headers. They are right behind the radiator, so at speed the air rushing through the radiator then hits the exposed pipes and then gets channeled through the openings on the lower and upper fairings. Since I wrapped the pipes, more of the exhaust heat exits out of the muffler.

·
Registered
48 Posts
my old blade was fking hot and same with my 600rr. I never really notice because I'm usually wearing my leathers. My 848evo was a cooker too! lol

·
Registered
327 Posts
I only have issues with my right peg getting hot on me, but here in FL it is so hot and humid during the summer that even on 600s I had issues with my foot being hot from the pegs. I dont have issues with heat transfer from the frame nor at my ankles, but I wear kevlar reinforced Dainese jeans when Im not wearing my leather suit. I did notice that wearing regular jeans would allow more heat to transfer through to my shins.

Now, if you want a cut free vasectomy, go ride a Panigale in a Florida summer in slow crawling traffic! :grin2:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts