BMW S1000RR Forum banner

HM Quickshifter

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  wfo439 
#1 ·
Can someone explain me ?

HM makes a huuuuge deal in its advertisement about the fact that a quickshifter should be connected to the ingnition, and absolutely not to the injection...I quote, from their website:

- "HM uses the ignition side of the motorcycle to unload the gearbox, which is far kinder then most other designs that cut from the fuel side."

- "HM Plus Quickshifters are STAND ALONE systems, integrated to the ignition side of the motorcycle as a quickshifter should be."

- "HM Plus Quickshifters kill from the ignition side of the engine, so there is no chance of “extended” fuel burning, secondary injectors (which most modern sportbikes have) that are not shut off, or any other problems that might be associated with fuel side controls. Spark is dead, gearbox unloads and the HM initiates an ultra smooth, gentle and unquestionably the fastest gear change you can get."

That's all good...except that the wiring loom for HM quickshifter for the s1000rr is connected to...the injection, and not the ignition (an information that is really hard to find...never mentioned on their website...only found as a side note on the installation manual).

So am I missing something ? I am neither a mechanics not an expert in how this works...so I would be happy to hear that I understood wrongly...otherwise, the whole HM advertisement is BS for BMW owners...but I may have missed something !!!!

See less See more
#5 ·
What's wrong is that the QS on my track-only HP4, which is the OEM one...is not very good. I am using GP shift. I tried everything: changing the length of the rode, angle of the rearsets, recalibrating it, changing my way of upshifting etc... And nothing helps: it's very random. Once in a while, it's great...and then sometimes, it takes forever for the system to open the gaz again (and I use the QS WOT, high RPM, when it should be used)...and that makes my bike stall...not good. Even quite scary sometimes when shifting full speed with lean angle ! So I am looking for something that is performing better than that. I know that lots of people are happy with it, but I also know plenty of people who think it's not really good. It seems that it's a matter of luck with the unit you get on the bike. I rode a 2015 s1000rr on the track and the new quickshifter was wayyyy better than the OEM one on the older models...but it cannot be retrofitted !!! So BMW is leaving me with a single option: find a better performing aftermarket QS... HM is highly regarded...but it seems that one of the major thing they advertise with their QS is that it works at the ignition (by the way, as far as I understood, just like the OEM, although the OEM goes through the ECU)....and it does with every single bike except for the BMW (got feedback from them today)!!!

#6 ·
I used the HM on my 2012, and yes it connects to the injector harness.

Works much better than the standard one on the pre 2015 models. Still not perfect for track though though but that's more of a basic issue with the shifting on the old models.

#8 ·
http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/142658-i-have-issues.html

I prefer this for the fact that it plugs into the factory connector for the OEM quickshifter. There is no harness to run to the the injectors like the HM.
They also make one for the 2014s. There is also the ProShift bump and blip. Since you are complaining about the QS, their downshift blipper alone won't help. Pro-Shift Bump & Blip Bike System Their system is a very intrusive install so I'd try the one @the_gooch used. Or at least ask him about it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.