BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 S1000RR
18 Posts
Sometimes you can go to the city/county/state and get re-imbursement for damage to your vehicle from their failure to maintain the roadway in a proper condition. It works in Seattle, WA. that way.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Sometimes you can go to the city/county/state and get re-imbursement for damage to your vehicle from their failure to maintain the roadway in a proper condition. It works in Seattle, WA. that way.
In Toronto you have to call 311 and file a report.. but its pretty much impossible to recover a dime from the city

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ugh, that wheel is garbage...maybe insurance will cover depending on your coverages.
Totaled out my bike. Bent the frame so my insurance company wrote it off as a total loss. She’s only 2 months old
Wow, sorry to hear about the trouble. How fast were you going when you hit? Glad to see you keep it upright, well done!
Thank God only 35 mph

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
196 Posts
Wow, glad your ok! Again, well done on keeping it shiny side up!

I suppose thats one vote for the CF wheel durability, can’t ask for much more if it stayed together enough to let you ride it out with a hit hard enough to bend the frame.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Totaled out my bike. Bent the frame so my insurance company wrote it off as a total loss. She’s only 2 months old

Thank God only 35 mph

Curious how it bent the frame: Can you provide more detail there? Did you crash as a result of the hit or did it hit so hard the frame bent around the steering head area?

Just seems odd that a straight up and down hit like that could/would bend the frame. So many areas the energy would have to travel through first to get to the frame let alone bend it. Wheel (broken) forks, steering stem...

·
9,135 Posts
That sucks! Glad you are ok!

Did your insurance consider you at fault? When I hit a pothole, broke front arm axle on M3, insurance said it's still considered at an fault accident. Increased my premium for 30% for 3 years till the points were taken (equivalent of a minor accident).

·
Registered
103 Posts
The wheel should have not broke so easy. 35mph is very slow. But it’s hard to tell how much that underground structure is above the road grade.

Maybe it’s part of the wheels that where a bad batch? Never hurts to ask.

When I stressed to my dealer about the problems that I was seeing in the early releases the sales manager and the technician told me the problems with the wheels being damaged so easily was addressed by the factory.

Supposedly BMW did extensive testing to insure the wheels where just as strong and reliable as the forged in all the new batches.

They said dealers where quietly replacing carbon wheels. I would never know if the dealer replaced them if the bike has gone in for service or new tires.

I was also told do not hit any pot holes or anything in race mode. The suspension will be so stiff it could damage the wheels.

What mode where you in at the time of impact?

·
Registered
2022 S1000RR-M
196 Posts
I am not surprised at the rim damage considering the impact also bent the frame!!! o_O
i agree, imagine hitting a curb at 35mph and bending your frame… great testament to both the rider keeping it upright and the CF wheel durability. The wheel did exactly like it was designed, break apart graceful enough to give the rider a few moments to come to a controlled stop.

·
Registered
2017 rr
507 Posts
Dayum! Glad you're ok. How the h3ll did the frame get bent?
I think for all the talk of modern prowess our bikes are still made for a 'price' and weight is a key factor in design. Lower weight means thinner metals. they are certainly strong enough for average riding conditions and the odd mishap, but slamming into a fixed steel object? It probably wasn't bent much but doesn't take much to write off a bike with the repair costs these days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.