BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to the forum. Had my S1000rr for a while now, take it on the track regularly. I was at the track today and when I re-connected the headlights, they are stuck on full beam. The full beam indicator is not on, but the bulbs are on high beam. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Vendor
2,083 Posts
Hi guys, new to the forum. Had my S1000rr for a while now, take it on the track regularly. I was at the track today and when I re-connected the headlights, they are stuck on full beam. The full beam indicator is not on, but the bulbs are on high beam. Has anyone experienced this?
Kind of helps to mention what year you have. 12-14 is really bad about power issues to the cluster. The 15-19 is better at power issues like battery maintenance, but, I have seen the cluster get off on settings too.

Maybe however my explanation will help no matter the year. If you reconnected the headlights with the key on, this was not a very good idea. The headlights are controlled on the CAN BUS. The button merely makes the request to the cluster. The cluster then process the request and send the data to the ECU, the ECU then trips the relays for the headlights.

so I have seen unplugging the cluster and replugging back in not make good connections. Bad connections leads to CAN BUS issues.

Then if you plug in devices with the key on, the CAN BUS can be confused on what the last state was for On/Off

It might be possible to reset the issue with unplugging the headlights, turning the key on and off a couple of times, then at key off replug them back up. If that does not resolve then you might have to remove the battery terminal off negative post for about one minute. This might also help reset the CAN BUS.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
When you say the highbeam is stuck on, is it stuck on with the ignition key off?

If your highbeam indicator lamp on the cluster lights in time when you press the highbeam switch or highbeam flasher button, I'd take a guess that you might have a sticking highbeam relay.

Your highbeam relay is connected directly to the KOMBI/cluster.

A simple test would be to swap your load shedding (lowbeam) relay with you highbeam relay. These relays should be side by side in the tail section. If it's a sticking relay, your lowbeam should be stuck on now after swapping them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say the highbeam is stuck on, is it stuck on with the ignition key off?

If your highbeam indicator lamp on the cluster lights in time when you press the highbeam switch or highbeam flasher button, I'd take a guess that you might have a sticking highbeam relay.

Your highbeam relay is connected directly to the KOMBI/cluster.

A simple test would be to swap your load shedding (lowbeam) relay with you highbeam relay. These relays should be side by side in the tail section. If it's a sticking relay, your lowbeam should be stuck on now after swapping them.
No when ignition is on lights are high beam. If I flick the high beam switch the indicator light lights blue as it should and when I switch to low beam then it goes out but lights remain on high beam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts