BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Felipe here, just bought a 2021 S1000RR and hit 600 miles for first service.

I have a problem!! I am OCD and maybe it’s just me, but I think my bike has an issue. There’s a metallic clanking sounds almost like a loose metal clip that hits other metal when it vibrates - but only after a very specific condition:

Engine rpm stabilizes after initial start - drops to true idle (30 seconds or so in?)

then... throttle a lot, and release quickly. Never passing 2k rpm, just bouncing it as low as you can...almost sounds like someone jingling some keys around. Only when rpm is low. When you throttle a lot as the rpm drops below idle, it gets pretty loud. Think like you’re drowning a carburated bike by giving too much gas at low rpm... keys jingle sound. Pretty loud. Enough that I left the bike at the dealer for an explanation. Never heard anything like that on any bike, ever.

Hoping to listen to another bike in person to see if I can compare. If you happen upon this, hello! I plan on being a productive member of this forum and riding on track often here in Miami PBIR and Homestead. If you have a 20-21’ S1KRR condition, I need to meet with you!!

Best,

·
Registered
256 Posts
I’m same way with noises, it doesn’t sound too bad but post a video if you can. It almost sounds like the exhaust valve(not sure new model has exhaust valve). If you left the bike at dealer hopefully they know WTF they are doing.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Try thatTry this if that doesn’t work

note: doesn’t seem to be exactly what everyone else is describing as clicking noise while RPMs are higher 2-4k etc... this is BELOW idle only... and with throttle opened a lot but released quickly. Bouncing it off idle basically as low as you can

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I’ll go get her and ride around a bit to see what happens with the noise. I need to hear another one in person, this doesn’t sound to me like the same sound others experience which is described as a ticking with the shiftcam... but maybe it is just at that frequency/vibration sounds horrendously loud.

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just heard your video and i do not have that sound when revving on my 2020 k67. Definitely not normal. Take it to the dealer.
Yep, thank you for the reply. Same concision I came to - this is NOT the same pinging or ticking everyone is describing as shiftcam noise and stuff... that all seems to be when bike is in normal RPM range - this is exclusively bouncing off the below 1k rpm range - almost sounds like the throttle body gets momentarily stuck open or flutters

·
Registered
2021 S1000RR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update for all - bike is completely normal. The noise I heard under the specific situation is exactly normal and BMW apparently gets a lot of complaints about it. I’m not sure if it’s the camshaft design itself but seems like something there causes that jingling under high throttle and low rpm (below 1k, throttle open a lot) - I compared to two bikes, a 20’ and another 21’ - so it is indeed the same thing many people are reporting. Mine sounded different than any I had heard, but I ended up taking down the YouTube video to make sure it doesn’t give BMW a bad look as if something was broken, when it is indeed not. Thank you all for the replies! Glad my bike is fine.

got her back, unlocked and ready to go! She’s spectacular!! First track day at the end of the month. Will post a full review later on. Thank you all!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Reactions: bennymx
1 - 10 of 10 Posts