BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to BMW motorcycles. I currently own a 05 gsxr 6 and it's old news. I'm intrested in purchasing a bad ass bike, let's says the s1000rr. I'm having trouble finding a dealership then again I haven't try too hard to look around. I'm just being lazy wondering if anyone from the northeast area that bought this machaine with info about a dealer and the costs of business. I would appricate it. Thax

ps. What bike do you choose? (Ducatti 1098s < Bmw s1000rr) :confused:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not sure where in NY you are located but I checked price and availability from these three dealers: Country Rode Motowerks near Rochester, NY, Two Jacks near Scranton, PA and Max BMW in Troy, NY. First two would have to order bike and wanted MSRP. Max had bike in stock and was $500 off list. No brainer for me even though it was an extra couple hours drive round trip.

1098S overpriced for what you get compared to S1000RR IMO!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got mine from Max BMW in Troy. They were able to get the bike on time as promised and offered a fair trade in on my 1098S. I wasn't overly impressed with my salesman in person though. At least I got my bike...

As far as a comparison of the 1098S to the S1000RR...

"As far as riding the bike. It's pretty soft down low compared to the Ducati. I've ridden V-twins for years and wasn't really sure I'd even enjoy riding an inline four again. My bike before the Ducati was an RC51, and before that a CBR600.

Similarities...hmm, they both have two wheels and run on gasoline? That's about where the comparison ends really.

The BMW handles a lot better than the Ducati. It simply felt smoother. I rode some back roads that have some potholes from the winter left on them and the BMW was a much smoother riding bike that handled them better. My Ducati had already been down to GMD Computrack for some suspension set up, and still the BMW was better.

While the BMW weighs more, the weight is low and the bike actually felt lighter and like it turned in quicker than the Ducati does. Handling is a breeze on it. I didn't get into as much as I would have liked due to not being used to the bike.

As far as power, it's a typical inline four versus v-twin comparison. The inline four is soft down low, but once it revs a bit it just comes to life. The Ducati vibrates excessively, where the BMW is super smooth. I could actually use the mirrors on the BMW. They're little more than decorations on the Ducati, although they look better on the Ducati. I didn't putt around on the bike, but I didn't rip on it either. It only had 80 or so miles on it when I took it out so the tires were barely run in. The front end was off the ground a few times and I didn't even really notice it. It just gently came up and I realized it when it set back down under moderate acceleration. The electronic shift assist was pretty amazing. You basically just touch the shifter and it retards the ignition and engages the next gear. You don't touch the clutch or chop the throttle. This means you can do full power upshifts smooth as butter. To downshift you have to use the traditional method, but the slipper clutch that it comes with makes that pretty effortless as well. On the highway I did bring it up to about 105-110 mph and it just wanted to keep going. The bike never shook or did anything unexpectedly.

With regard to comfort, the BMW was more comfortable for me. The only thing I wasn't too fond of was that the brake pedal is down a bit far for my liking sometimes making it hard to reach for. Not the end of the world since with the ABS on (it can be switched off, same with traction control), the front and rear brakes are linked together.

The fit and finish on the bike seems to be on par with any of the other manufacturers. The dash is a combination of analog tach with electronic speedometer (I'm sure all electronically controlled) and it comes with a built in gear indicator and programmable shift light. The shift light is designed to be programmed to come on when you're getting close to the shift point and off when it's time to shift...so it's more of a warning than anything else.

The brakes were good. Not quite as grabby as the monoblock's of the Ducati, but the design is still a brembo caliper and more than adequate for the job.

All in all, if you're thinking about getting one...go demo it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Seems that most of the reading I've done from people who have gotten one did it like I did. Rode it out of curiosity and then had to have it. I don't remember having that much fun on a bike in a long time. And my girlfriend even said it must be amazing for me to be willing to give up my Duacti for it since I do love my Ducati and it's been a great bike." - I wrote it for another forum so it's a cut and paste.

Shane

·
Registered
981 Posts
BTW: Max's also has decent prices on genuine BMW accessories when buying a new bike. Their reputation for service is also good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i wanted the thunder grey and no one had it and MAX BMW is the BEST! i went to there dealer in new hampshire. Although they sent they would send it to max bmw in troy, i am going there this friday for the 600 mile service! MAX BMW ALL THE WAY

·
Registered
38 Posts
Country Rode in Rochester NY is not popular with riders in Western NY. The dealer seems to be difficult to do business with. Upstate riders East of Syracuse should probably go to Max, but once you are West the location depends on how much pain you want to endure (commuting to a distant dealer or putting up with Country Rode). In general, one can always purchase out of state. If in the Southern Tier or very Western NY, then Sills in Cleveland is a good option.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I did my own first service but needed to get the damn rev limit removed and the drop sensor installed. Rode the bike with a group of friends to Max where I bought it. Had the service already scheduled weeks in advance and the service manager told me it would be minimal labor to install sensor. Dropped the bike off and we walked to a nearby diner for lunch. Came back an hour later and the bike had not been touched. Waited another hour and a half to have work completed. I was not happy at all. By the time we completed the 3 hour ride back home it had started raining. I'm going to try another dealer for service next time I HAVE TO GO TO ONE!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dealers

Just wanted to put in a recomendation for Country Rode in Fairport , N.Y. I have bought a '07 K1200S, '07 K1200RSport, '09 K1300S and a'10 S1000RR from this dealership and have found them to be fair, honest and most capable of handling any service I've needed. Saving money on a deal is important but travel distance to service over the life of the unit is a factor to consider and I would strongly advise anyone looking for any new or used BMW to give this dealership a visit and see what they have to offer in terms of a fair sale and competent service.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My son went to SUNY Geneseo and we stopped at Country Rode Motowerks one afternoon. Didn't buy anything, but they seem to be decent folks. I'd give them a shot if I were in the area. We're pretty fortunate to have at least two dealers within a reasonable distance of the Mid-Hudson Valley: Max in Troy, and BMW Manhattan. If you're ever in the Albany area, give Max BMW a visit. Super clean, well-staffed and low key. Always several test mules hitched out in front waiting to be flogged, too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You didn't really pin down your location, and NY is a big state, but if you are in Western/Southern NY State, check out Hermy's BMW/Triumph in Port Clinton, PA. They are a VERY long-time BMW dealership with a very good reputation for good deals, excellent service and support of the BMW community.

I am biased. Hermy's is my S1000RR race bike sponsor. Last Sunday I kicked a 1098S's ass in the WERA Senior Superbike race at BeaveRun Motorsports Park in PA.:)

If you call them for a price quote, please mention that I sent you. They like to know that their race support is sending some people their way. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts