BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was organizing my garage and moving my bike when I noticed a couple of drops of a bluish fluid on the ground under the engine area. My last ride was about a week ago. I’ve never had an issue yet on the bike. Fluid looks to have originated from a bolt hole maybe? Can’t really get in there to see very well. Any thoughts on what this might be?

any help is appreciated. Thanks!

details
2021 S1000RR
Approx 5500km
Took delivery April 2021
Never tracked
Only mods are TST tail and lights.

see pics:

Musical instrument Automotive tire Rim Idiophone Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exhaust Automotive exterior Vehicle

Hand Automotive tire Finger Bumper Rim

Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Rim Tints and shades

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle door Tints and shades

·
Vendor
5,041 Posts
Take to the dealer. Nothing you can do about it.

Weep hole which indicates bad seals in the oil pump and water passage ways. They will replace the seals or maybe even the complete oil pan.

Reactions: Littlebitoquickness

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well known issue if you search this forum. Bad design by BMW
I tried searching before I posted but as I didn’t know what to search for nothing came up. Thanks to everyone’s replies I was able to search more effectively and find the previous posts. Off to the dealer I go I guess. Just sucks, I live about an hour away from the nearest dealer and it’s now already cold and wintery where I am. They have a pick up service. Might try to have them wave the pick up fee if it’s a warranty issue.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take to the dealer. Nothing you can do about it.

Weep hole which indicates bad seals in the oil pump and water passage ways. They will replace the seals or maybe even the complete oil pan.
Is it normal for the fluid to be blue? The other posts I’ve found about this issues show pics of standard oil seepage and the residue is oil colored. This is quite blue as can be seen by the pics. Does that indicate a more serious issue?

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,367 Posts
Is it normal for the fluid to be blue? The other posts I’ve found about this issues show pics of standard oil seepage and the residue is oil colored. This is quite blue as can be seen by the pics. Does that indicate a more serious issue?
Its the oil pump and coolant pump. The coolant is blue. So its expected.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I tried searching before I posted but as I didn’t know what to search for nothing came up. Thanks to everyone’s replies I was able to search more effectively and find the previous posts. Off to the dealer I go I guess. Just sucks, I live about an hour away from the nearest dealer and it’s now already cold and wintery where I am. They have a pick up service. Might try to have them wave the pick up fee if it’s a warranty issue.
Thanks for the help!
Yeah, I would do the pick up service. Its gonna be there awhile.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That’s worth a lot! Thanks for the info!
You're welcome. Mine happened to coincidentally fail when I took it to the dealer to have the timing chain tensioner recall done. While waiting for the engine to cool off, I saw the puddle of coolant under the bike. The tech verified the failure and suggested I not ride the bike. He didn't think the issue would get worse but he doesn't know for sure. Particularly where he said there's a chance oil and coolant can mix together with this failure.

At that point, I decided to just leave my bike there even though I didn't plan on doing so. I was expecting to get the recall done and then riding the bike back home. Fortunately, the dealer gave me a loaner bike to get home.

So I would strongly consider getting that pickup service.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
598 Posts
That sinks man. I've had mine done 2x. It's holing so far, now. Didn't take very long. I sent some pictures to the dealer they preorderd the parts dropped it off in the AM could have picked it up that pm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

BMW road side assistance picked up the bike last Tuesday and delivered it to the dealership free of charge.

The dealership diagnosed a water pump leak and replaced it. Part of the process involved an oil and filter change so I got a free service out of it.

Once the work was done the dealership delivered the bike back to me today in an enclosed trailer, again, free of charge.

Bike is back home good as new and will be put away for the winter in the coming days.

Shout out to BMW Toronto for taking care of it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
FYI. Mine included a full drain and refill of coolant and new exhaust manifold gaskets on top of the oil/oil filter change. I also have Akra SS headers which didn't affect any part of the repair. Actually, having done the header install myself, it would have actually helped in making the job easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts