BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Vendor
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so you guys know I already mentioned the TFT is super hard to clean. I had 2 oily fingerprints on it, and I decided it was time to clean it today in hopes to install a TFT protective lens on it.

First off, when you get your brand new 2020 with this nice TFT, dont remove the plastic lens covering that is on there. Get a TFT screen protector and put it on first thing.

Dont get BMW $69 TFT screen protector. It is advertised as GLASS. It is not glass what so ever. I sent my mine back to the dealer I got it from telling him he needs to rethink advertising as glass cover protection. Its not glass.

I got the same looking TFT protective cover for $14 shipping from a chinese clone seller.

I have some TFT protective covers on order from Italy that promise me they are GLASS and they are 3D raised and curved on the edges to give an enhanced appearance to the display. Those have not come in yet. Coming from Italy looks like 10 days mail service.

I wanted to get this posted since so many new 2020 bikes are delivering this week. DO NOT TOUCH the screen. You will regret it if fingerprint glare glaze annoys you. That is one thing that does bother me looking at a LED/LCD TV screen. I have to have mine so nice and black clean.

Well my TFT is no longer black / clean. See pics below.

Do not use Plexus Plastic cleaner on the TFT screen. It creates a bronze glaze on there that will not come off.

Do not use Windex to clean as final result. The windex however did remove the Plexus cleaner. It just did not leave the TFT shiny clean.

Dawn dish water soap. This worked a little. It did remove the windex. It cannot get completely off the screen. See pics.

Help, what else do you guys want me to try since I already messed up my TFT and hopefully I can get it clean enough to install the new Protective cover from Italy if it is indeed glass.

The last picture is after cleaning and wiping 10 minutes with a super smooth polish towel.

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you have links to the Italian ones? And/Or the Chinese ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tried&True21

·
Registered
386 Posts
Some how I don't think the Plexus would ruin it...I will test it myself later this week. I've never had that product harm anything (I've used it on just about everything too...metals, plastics, glass, you name it...), let alone leave a glaze of any sort.

Windex is obviously a bad idea though...ammonium based cleaners probably aren't the best.

Did you try anything BEFORE the plexus? Using microfiber right? Nothing else?

·
Vendor
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Some how I don't think the Plexus would ruin it...I will test it myself later this week. I've never had that product harm anything (I've used it on just about everything too...metals, plastics, glass, you name it...), let alone leave a glaze of any sort.

Windex is obviously a bad idea though...ammonium based cleaners probably aren't the best.

Did you try anything BEFORE the plexus? Using microfiber right? Nothing else?
I spent $30 plus TEXAS tax on that Plexus at the recommendation of the forum. It was first to try. I encourage you to try if you like to. Then when you find the process that gets it back to the nice clear black it was when I first got it in April, we can both be happy.

Sure the Plexus was first. I thought it would work as I have seen so many people use the stuff at the race track on windscreens and face shields. $30? that is not worth $30...

The windex removed the Plexus however.

I have Kimtech lens cleaning issue, and a super soft micro towel.

The TFT is not ruined.. just have to find the right tool for the right job here.

NEXT > ?

·
Vendor
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use just water. Water with a soft dish towel. Trust me that will make it perfectly clean
Last picture is dawn dish soap highly diluted and soft micro towel to wipe dry clean.

Still not back to the nice shiny black it once was. : (

·
Registered
386 Posts
I spent $30 plus TEXAS tax on that Plexuus at the recommendation of the forum. It was first to try. I encourage you to try if you like to. Then when you find the process that gets it back to the nice clear black it was when I first got it in April, we can both be happy.

Sure the Plexuus was first. I thought it would work as I have seen so many people use the stuff at the race track on windscreens and face shields. $30? that is not worth $30...

The windex removed the Plexuus however.

I have Kimtech lens cleaning issue, and a super soft micro towel.

The TFT is not ruined.. just have to find the right tool for the right job here.

NEXT > ?
What is Plexuus? Are we talking about the same thing???

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Vendor
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what it looked like BEFORE I started messing with it today. Just those palm / thumb prints in the top right corner. You can see the center section is a very nice clean / black and good texture display.

I am sure I will find something to clean the thing right.

·
Premium Member
4,077 Posts
What does the manual recommend?

The display should be akin to a TFT display on a laptop, many laptops have Thin Film Transistor (TFT) monitors. To clean one, use a soft lint-free cloth (good microfiber is perfect) and gentle pressure. If the screen is dirty, plain water or water with a small amount of vinegar can be used. But never spray any liquid directly on the monitor; the screen can draw moisture into itself through capillary action. Moisture absorbed through the screen surface will not come out and can ruin the display.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What does the manual recommend?
Probably unicorn blood.

BMW probably sells it.

On a real note, I did used to use this stuff and it worked quite well for LCDs, plasmas, eye glasses, etc.

The main ingredient was de-ionized water (there was some other crap in there too), so PNorris is probably onto something.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've used FW1 on my previous gen's LCD display without issue however that is more of a wax/wipedown. I've used goo gone on tv's before with no ill effects that had sticky residue left from tapes. Traditionally though for my expensive displays I just use water and a microfiber rag. However I'd possibly also try this if you needed a soft screen only cleaner

https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Cleaner-Kit-Computer-Microfiber/dp/B01054S5FM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=32TFTW8K4YJC4&keywords=lcd+screen+cleaner&qid=1559608071&s=electronics&sprefix=lcd+scr%2Celectronics%2C222&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

·
Registered
226 Posts
What are you using to clean your towels? Sometimes the wrong detergent will leave enough residue to become visible. Try washing the towel with dish soap and use drinking water to clean it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Any chance of finding out the exact type of screen it is then use a cleaner made for it? I have cleaner for my sun glasses from sun glass hut and I was shocked at how clean it got my shades. I was thinking of using this on mine but now I will most likely get the screen protector and install it in my garage right after I peel the factory film off. I too would prefer glass.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
And do not fabric softener on anything you are going to use on your car or bike, softener smears.
Very true. All my micro fiber towels are hung to dry. I use regular tide on them also without fabric softener.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts