BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 S1000RR 2009 GSXR 1000
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody say that they;ve seen actual proof that Shoei or other helmets are resistant to UV A,B andC.. I asked around years ago and was told nobody makes them. I also remember reading that manufacturers claimed their windows wer UV resistant, but in actual fact they were only resistant to A and B, not the harmful C. It;s a concern for me as I;ve worked in the Aussie sun all my life and have had over 50 skin cancers cut out. About 14 of them on my face, not that you;d know with the good work they do these days. I have a Shoei GT air 1 with the tinted inner screen plus a dark smoke screen as well so it cuts out lots of sun, but is it really blocking all the rays??? Id love to know if anyone has seen proof.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update.. Got onto Shoei and their visors are NOT 99% UV resistant. Only resistant to A and B so totally false information being fed to us by the spoonful as per fkn usual by big business..

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I thought UVA and B were potentially harmful, but that UV C didn't get through the atmosphere to reach our eyes or skin?

I have trouble finding any information about what UV visors stop (would hate to use a tinted visor and have no UV protection).

I'm with you on the BS we're fed as consumers.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
You could wear a good sunblock on the parts of your face not covered by the helmet. I've done that, but haven't found it worthwhile. I use a Shoei RF-1200, with tinted screen. When I was flying, I did use sunblock on my face and arms, just because at altitude the sun is much more a problem, and a big windscreen lets in a lot of that high-altitude sun.

I get where you're coming from, though...having skin cancers cut out (even with Moh's surgery) is still not something enjoyable. I've had a few, myself. Anyway...good luck.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just take your visor to an automotive window tinter and get them to put on a clear UV film. You could even do it yourself if you source some film.

I've been thinking about doing the same to my helmets as after a long ride I can feel my skin burning, even under my internal sun visor.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Arai make UV cut replacement viors for all their helmets, which I always buy. The originals that come with the helmets are not UV protective.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Can anybody say that they;ve seen actual proof that Shoei or other helmets are resistant to UV A,B andC.. I asked around years ago and was told nobody makes them. I also remember reading that manufacturers claimed their windows wer UV resistant, but in actual fact they were only resistant to A and B, not the harmful C. It;s a concern for me as I;ve worked in the Aussie sun all my life and have had over 50 skin cancers cut out. About 14 of them on my face, not that you;d know with the good work they do these days. I have a Shoei GT air 1 with the tinted inner screen plus a dark smoke screen as well so it cuts out lots of sun, but is it really blocking all the rays??? Id love to know if anyone has seen proof.
Now, that's an interesting bit of info I didn't know about UV protection, thanks! I'll have to pass that on to my whiter-than-white, whiteboy buddy here who has also has some issues with skin cancer. So sorry to hear about your cancers, be careful and best of luck bro! Melanoma is nasty. Plus, just because a visor is dark, doesn't neccessarily mean it blocks certain UV rays.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked out the Aria and it seems to be just a strip at the top. I guess this would be about the same as wearing a cap, only protects at certain angles and not full protection..I asked around a few years ago about having car tint applied to my visor but everyone I asked said it wouldn’t work.. And yes I do the sunblock thing, but it would be nice to find a solution that didn’t involve covering my face in greasy oily crap every time I ride..
Why can’t they make a visor with car tint between layers of plastic? Surely it can’t be that hard! I suppose then they’d have to tell everyone that their previously advertised UV resistant visors weren’t actually good for anything but keeping bugs out lol

·
Registered
212 Posts
I checked out the Aria and it seems to be just a strip at the top. I guess this would be about the same as wearing a cap, only protects at certain angles and not full protection..I asked around a few years ago about having car tint applied to my visor but everyone I asked said it wouldn’t work.. And yes I do the sunblock thing, but it would be nice to find a solution that didn’t involve covering my face in greasy oily crap every time I ride..
Why can’t they make a visor with car tint between layers of plastic? Surely it can’t be that hard! I suppose then they’d have to tell everyone that their previously advertised UV resistant visors weren’t actually good for anything but keeping bugs out lol
Man, that sucks! I just got done advising my local cracker (Mr. Saltine - LOL) friend about it, he's had issues too. Thanks for the heads up! Man, I can't believe there isn't some manufacturer that didn't make a film. Did you check people that supply industrial films for business buildings? They may want you to buy a big/expensive roll, but don't tell them what it's for (motorcycle helmet), just ask them for some samples for...ahhh..."testing". Not like I've ever gotten free stuff from vendors like that....or anything....but I've HEARD it works... ;)

Best of luck mate!

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
“UVA rays have the longest wavelengths, followed by UVB, and UVC rays which have the shortest wavelengths. While UVA and UVB rays are transmitted through the atmosphere, all UVC and some UVB rays are absorbed by the Earth’s ozone layer. So, most of the UV rays you come in contact with are UVA with a small amount of UVB.” Source: Ultraviolet (UV) Radiation

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
“The Environmental Protec- tion Agency (EPA), an independent ex- ecutive agency of the U.S. federal gov- ernment tasked with environmental protection matters, hosts a UV index app that is available from the APP store and can easily be downloaded to your smart phone. A good idea is to always watch the UV index before heading outside.” Source: Asheville-Citizen Times, 11/24/2020.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts